Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

AIT grand prix 2019

Options
  • 17-01-2019 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Bingtian Su one of the worlds fastest ever 60m sprinters is coming and olympic pole vault champion Thiago Braz da Silva is also in the early line up.

The Irish athletes confirmed are Thomas Barr, Ciara Mageean and Sarah Healy.

Once Su was named I purchased my tickets immediately.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

John Travers and Phil Healy also mentioned on the email I received.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fishy21

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    John Travers and Phil Healy also mentioned on the email I received.

yes sorry i forgot them. I predict an irish all comers record in the men's 60m

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Ah yeah,
    Saw Yohan Blake set the 100 at the morton games, should be great to see. Looking forward to it.

Pity the Pole Vault Mat is so low, it stopped Kendricks going too high last time.

Ah yeah,
    Saw Yohan Blake set the 100 at the morton games, should be great to see. Looking forward to it.

Pity the Pole Vault Mat is so low, it stopped Kendricks going too high last time.

I didnt realise that last year. hopefully they get it right this year. There hasnt been much else annouced yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭curtisbrown

Erik Sowinski is in, as per his Twitter

• Advertisement

https://www.ait.ie/news-and-events/news/world-class-athletics-returning-to-ait-for-6th-international-grand-prix

some good names added.

Gregson, Lewandowski, Genevieve LaCaze , Kendra Chambers, Erik Sowinski. Kyle Langford and Stewart McSweyn

anybody else have more info on this?

https://www.westmeathexaminer.ie/sport/roundup/articles/2019/02/12/4169243-starstudded-athletes-on-ait-track-for-international-grand-prix/

more people added ;

Daniel Andujar
    Laviai Nielsen
    Meghan Beesley
    Kendra Chambers
    Jianan Wang with an 8.47m long jump PB

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

Link to live stream from 6.30pm https://www.runjumpthrow.com/live/29488/

TG4 also covering live from 7.30pm

Seated tickets sold out.

Does anyone know if you can switch between seated and standing - my son has a seated ticket but his friend could only get a standing ticket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Mageean and English impressive in there respective races.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Another Euro indoors qualifying time for John Travers, he has the 1500 & 3000 times now.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Mageean and English impressive in there respective races.

yeah mageean looked very fresh leading into the last lap.

its great to see English back to form again. he might suprise a few at the euros.

Marcin Lewandowski's polish mile record was impressive. he' such a tough guy to beat.

another timing problem this year. the clocks werent working for the womens 800. apparently Claire Mooney was inside the euro standard and the 2nd place finisher Nadia Power ran a big PB. unfortunately for them it wasnt timed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

fishy21 wrote: »
    another timing problem this year. the clocks werent working for the womens 800. apparently Claire Mooney was inside the euro standard and the 2nd place finisher Nadia Power ran a big PB. unfortunately for them it wasnt timed.

Shame. Some of the mistakes made are irritating as the meet has so much potential but these things are holding it back from being a top world class meet, the timing issue has been going on for years now, this must be the third or fourth year now where there has been an issue somewhere with the timing and that is a basic requirement of any meet, it must be ridiculously frustrating for athletes who travel halfway around the world. Lewandowski didn't look too happy either with the pacing either in his post race interview.

No ill will to Daire finn as he is a young runner and it was a big oppurtunity for him but if you have some of the best runners in the world looking to run a fast time, you need to have really experienced pacers who have a long history of good pacing and knowing when to step off and that's what the organisers should be looking for in my opinion. It's not a spot to skimp on as these details are what seperates the good meets from the World class meets and will keep bringing the top guys back.

The timing problems definitely need to be sorted though.

El CabaIIo wrote: »
    Shame. Some of the mistakes made are irritating as the meet has so much potential but these things are holding it back from being a top world class meet, the timing issue has been going on for years now, this must be the third or fourth year now where there has been an issue somewhere with the timing and that is a basic requirement of any meet, it must be ridiculously frustrating for athletes who travel halfway around the world. Lewandowski didn't look too happy either with the pacing either in his post race interview.

No ill will to Daire finn as he is a young runner and it was a big oppurtunity for him but if you have some of the best runners in the world looking to run a fast time, you need to have really experienced pacers who have a long history of good pacing and knowing when to step off and that's what the organisers should be looking for in my opinion. It's not a spot to skimp on as these details are what seperates the good meets from the World class meets and will keep bringing the top guys back.

Same in the women’s 1,500m re the pacing, the pacer was constantly checking her watch which clearly showed she was inexperienced. No slight on that athlete meant, pacing is an art in itself and hard thing to perfect. Suppose that’s why a lot of top runners have their own personal pacers they trust.

yea i did notice him on the heels of the second pacer. it could have been a little faster but anyway he had Gregson and Mcsweyn pushing him.

Mageeans run was done with excellent pacing by Baker a top 800m athlete herself.

All in all it was a good night with no surprise that Thiago Braz no marked again in the pole vault. He consistency is terrible.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Same in the women’s 1,500m re the pacing, the pacer was constantly checking her watch which clearly showed she was inexperienced. No slight on that athlete meant, pacing is an art in itself and hard thing to perfect. Suppose that’s why a lot of top runners have their own personal pacers they trust.

I did see her checking her watch but i think she was being extra careful. it did look weird though. She is a 2.02 800m runner so perfect for 1500 pacing.

I did see her checking her watch but i think she was being extra careful. it did look weird though. She is a 2.02 800m runner so perfect for 1500 pacing.

As I said not having a go at the girl, she’s a quality runner and former European junior silver medalist, but she’s not a pacer. As El C said, pay to get some experienced pacers in to do the middle distances.

yea i did notice him on the heels of the second pacer. it could have been a little faster but anyway he had Gregson and Mcsweyn pushing him.

Mageeans run was done with excellent pacing by Baker a top 800m athlete herself.

All in all it was a good night with no surprise that Thiago Braz no marked again in the pole vault. He consistency is terrible.

Yeah, 3:56 is still rolling and it was interesting to see both McSweyn and Gregson leave him front run as that's not a spot you often see him in but just talking from a runner perspective. He brought it up about 3 times during his post race interview that he had asked for a 5 seconds faster through 1k and wanted the stadium record. He didn't seem happy at all with it and things like that play on someone's mind when they are asked to return a year later.

It's not all bad, some really good events as always and some good runs in there from the Irish as well as a ton of stadium records but there is some creases to be ironed out if the meet is to go to the next level imo.

• Advertisement

I was in the arena the previous weekend for the kids Leinster indoors and the display clocks were a bit glitchy then. I assumed that it was the displays themselves were acting up but that the control room would be bang on.

Yeah, 3:56 is still rolling and it was interesting to see both McSweyn and Gregson leave him front run as that's not a spot you often see him in but just talking from a runner perspective. He brought it up about 3 times during his post race interview that he had asked for a 5 seconds faster through 1k and wanted the stadium record. He didn't seem happy at all with it and things like that play on someone's mind when they are asked to return a year later.

It's not all bad, some really good events as always and some good runs in there from the Irish as well as a ton of stadium records but there is some creases to be ironed out if the meet is to go to the next level imo.

yeah it was weird to watch him in front for once. i thought mcsweyn was going to take him in the final 50 but hes a tough one. I couldnt hear the interviews the sound system isnt great.
    It would be great if they also had a score board and a program with the event times.

Did anyone else see Thiago Braz eating a startbucks sandwich/pastry a few minutes before the start of the pole vault? maybe thats why he NM.

I thought it was an ok night.
    Felt the pole vault wasn't as impressive as last year, anytime I looked at the pole vault they weren't clearing it whereas last year I remember being so impressed.
    I seemed to have missed the long jump competition. I recall seeing maybe about 2 jumps and then I think I got distracted with another event and next time I looked at the pit, it was clear. I would have liked to have seen some good jumps but maybe I should have paid more attention!

But the running was so good though. My god, just unreal the abilities, honestly! It was fantastic to watch. The Irish really impressed me last night.

It would be great if they also had a score board and a program with the event times.
    There were programs for sale in the lobby of the arena.
    But yes a score board or display board with the results would be good. Depending on where you were sitting or standing it wasn't always easy to see who had come second or third etc. You were depending on what the MC was saying, which seemed to be just who was first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Bad pacemaking happens at Diamond League meets regularly enough so I wouldn’t get too bogged down in that.

The timing errors are farcical though. This is what you would expect out of something like the Leinsters, not an international meet where athletes are chasing European standards. Clare Mooney must be fuming if she was indeed under the time required for Glasgow.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    There were programs for sale in the lobby of the arena.
    But yes a score board or display board with the results would be good. Depending on where you were sitting or standing it wasn't always easy to see who had come second or third etc. You were depending on what the MC was saying, which seemed to be just who was first.

yeah sorry i got a program i meant that it would be nice to see the timetable on it with the times for each race.

yeah it was weird to watch him in front for once. i thought mcsweyn was going to take him in the final 50 but hes a tough one. I couldnt hear the interviews the sound system isnt great.

Did anyone else see Thiago Braz eating a startbucks sandwich/pastry a few minutes before the start of the pole vault? maybe thats why he NM.

They usually do have programs outside. I wasn't up this year but have got one every other year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭seanin4711

love to watch it

Advertisement