Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Visiting with the kids this weekend

• 13-02-2019 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭

We're staying in Galway for a few days from this weekend with two teens & and a car.

Just looking for some recommendations on things to do & places to eat.

Appreciate its a wide ask, but any ideas helpful. Kids are fairly easy on eating, just be nice to do some outdoor stuff if the weather is decent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Outdoor stuff covers a lot!!!
    Plenty of outdoor sports etc mightnt be up and running as its out of season for many of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

For food: Dough Bro's (pizza), any of the Papa Rich restaurants (there are a few in Galway) and casual places like 56 Central or The Kitchen might be a good idea for teens. Try the Galway Market St Nicholas' Church on Saturday and Sunday for a cheap lunch.
    For activities: If the weather is nice you can walk around the city (harbour, riverside walk past Cathedral and University, Claddagh, the Prom) or drive out to Connemara or the Burren (Aillwee Cave and the Cliffs of Moher should be interesting enough). Or take the ferry to the Aran Islands.
    If the weather is bad: Cinema, Galway City Museum (not that much to see tbh), Aquarium, bowling, one of the Escape Rooms (might have to book in advance).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

http://www.eilemental.com/ Outdoor Activity Centre in Furbo

Connemara National Park and climb Diamond Hill if the weather plays along.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

As far as activities in town with two teens there's the escape room. There's 5 rooms to choose from. We went during the holidays and it was good fun. I recommend the chilli shack right up the road for after.

Head to nearby Salthill for a walk out to the lighthouse or up the prom to kick the wall. Lots of pubs and food options nearby and you can always pop into Seapoint at any age for a quick laugh.

The Galway Museum is worth a gander if not just to see a hooker suspended from the roof (and it's free). Boojum across the way does great burritos.

Bring the wellies and stomp around Rusheen Bay, Barna woods, Silverstrand, or head to the NUIG sportsground for a view of Menlo Castle and walk along the Corrib.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭granturismo

If you want to drive - 2 of my favourite places just past Carraroe - the cemetery beach and the coral beach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

http://www.derrouramountainbikehire.com/

Great biking trail with a stunning view of Lough Corrib in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Just posted this on another thread on county Galway section but it applies here too.

Junior Park run 2km run/walk in renville Park Oranmore every Sunday morning at 9.30am.

https://www.parkrun.ie/oranmore-juniors/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

If you want to drive - 2 of my favourite places just past Carraroe - the cemetery beach and the coral beach.

Talk to me...not sure I know where Cemetary beach is but what is the attraction of coral beach? I get that the 'sand' is made from coral but it's not a very nice beach and it's not too nice to walk on barefooted. Am I missing something? Is there good snorkelling there?

Dogs Bay nearby seems infinitely better for a beach walk in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Go to the Novena.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Oh burn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

A lot of activities suggested in this thread is probably fine for you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Thanks everyone, what a friendly bunch you are :D

Keen to make the most of the few days & loads of ideas there !

One last one, any traditional pubs in the city or surrounding areas that you'd recommend ? Ideally open fire, decent Guinness etc

Really appreciate the help lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭granturismo

Talk to me...not sure I know where Cemetery beach is but what is the attraction of coral beach? I get that the 'sand' is made from coral but it's not a very nice beach and it's not too nice to walk on barefooted. Am I missing something? Is there good snorkelling there?

Neither of these beaches are suitable for long walks, more for blowing the cobwebs off at this time of year and I wouldnt be going barefoot on the coral beach especially in February. Trá na Reilige is marked on google maps on the other side of the Carraroe peninsula.

Dogs Bay is beautiful and great for walking but is a bit of a drive further from Galway City.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Neither of these beaches are suitable for long walks, more for blowing the cobwebs off at this time of year and I wouldnt be going barefoot on the coral beach especially in February. Trá na Reilige is marked on google maps on the other side of the Carraroe peninsula.

Dogs Bay is beautiful and great for walking but is a bit of a drive further from Galway City.

Gotcha. Actually there is another Coral type beach near Roundstone that confused me. I didn't realise there was one in Carraroe too. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

One last one, any traditional pubs in the city or surrounding areas that you'd recommend ? Ideally open fire, decent Guinness etc

In no particular order, these spring to mind: Naughtons, Murphys, Tigh Coili, Barr an Chaladh, Taylors. They're dotted around the city so you'll probably pass a few of them if you're walking around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Thanks everyone, what a friendly bunch you are

Yes indeed. We all love each other in Galway.

Garavans for the best pint of Guinness in Galway, freeneys and the bunch of grapes are nice pubs too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Talk to me...not sure I know where Cemetary beach is but what is the attraction of coral beach? I get that the 'sand' is made from coral but it's not a very nice beach and it's not too nice to walk on barefooted. Am I missing something? Is there good snorkelling there?

Excellent snorkelling at the coral beach. Probably not for the unclimatised at this time of year though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

....or head to the NUIG sportsground for a view of Menlo Castle and walk along the Corrib.

Or rent Coke Zero bikes from the Cathedral for a nice handy cycle up through NUIG and up along the river to Menlo Castle, around the sports ground and back.

Advertisement