Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Yesterday (Danny Boyle)

• 13-02-2019 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭

Probably showed the entire movie in the trailer but looks watchable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda

Was sold... then I saw Corden and Sheeran

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

El Duda wrote: »
    Was sold... then I saw Corden and Sheeran

They look like cameo spots TBF, and Sheeran is having the piss taken out of him so it's not all bad :)

Movie looks good, a nice light feel-good comedy. The soundtrack for this should be great :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Look more Richard Curtis than Danny Boyle... but probably a predicable, feel-good couple of hours. With all the cynicism in the world we need a few movies like this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ha, what a fun premise, I like the look of that. I agree though, it looks more Curtis than Boyle in its tone for sure. Maybe Boyle can restrain the writer's worst excesses of saccharine'ness.

Man, people sure are easily ... triggered by the presence of Cordon though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Big fan of the beatles but that trailer made me sick in my own mouth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Looks like a movie for watching on a plane. Real brain candy and light with a good soundtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

I loved 'About Time' so I'm on the Richard Curtis bandwagon even if Love Actually is pure sh*te

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I liked the idea of a film where "what if the Beatles didn't exist". But to try and think of how today's music world would look if that was the case is a tricky thing to do. You can't just still have Ed Sheeran and Coldplay in the trailer because how many bands wouldn't exist or have been influenced by the Beatles in all the time in between.

But in a 'leave your brain at the door' way, this still looks awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I liked the idea of a film where "what if the Beatles didn't exist". But to try and think of how today's music world would look if that was the case is a tricky thing to do. You can't just still have Ed Sheeran and Coldplay in the trailer because how many bands wouldn't exist or have been influenced by the Beatles in all the time in between.

But in a 'leave your brain at the door' way, this still looks awful.

You may be over thinking this.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Produced and written by Curtis so that does explain the look and feel.

A fun lighthearted couple of hours just what we all need.

• Advertisement

Produced and written by Curtis so that does explain the look and feel.
    That explains it!

Still seems odd for Danny Boyle to be directing a Richard Curtis screenplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I guess he'll probably stick to singing palatable stuff rather than going full on I Am The Walrus or Revolution No. 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

****! A huge drop down from the edginess of Trainspotting, awful looking crap, plus it has Ed Sheeran and James Cordon, aaagggh!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Blah. Premise is dumb. You can't extract The Beatles from the '60s. Popular music is popular because it captures the mood of a particular time and place. This seems like someone got the right to The Beatles catalogue and this was the best they could come up with on short notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

28 days a week

Blah. Premise is dumb. You can't extract The Beatles from the '60s. Popular music is popular because it captures the mood of a particular time and place. This seems like someone got the right to The Beatles catalogue and this was the best they could come up with on short notice.
    Of all the biggest bands ever, the Beatles music is so timeless - and eclectic - that it could be given a bit of 21 century lipstick and still sound fresh.

I like the premise. Every budding songwriter or dreamer has probably wondered about this scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,446 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Clever idea. I like the look of this. :)

Out the end of June...

• Registered Users Posts: 84,833 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is that Tamwar from Eastenders?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I remember day dreaming before if you were a singer song writer and you could pick any songs from the past as your own. Obviously couldn't take all of The Beatles ones but would have to have a few :D

Think I'll go to see this one though. At least I'll like the music and looks harmless enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,833 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Himesh Patel aka Tamwar from Eastenders is playing the lead character Jack

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

If a band came out with Beatles songs nowadays they would get nowhere. It's all Icy T and Snoopy snoop doggy doog.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭bullpost

If a band came out with Beatles songs nowadays they would get nowhere. It's all Icy T and Snoopy snoop doggy doog.

They might just scatter Ed Sheeran and Coldplay to the four corners of the earth :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Dades wrote: »
    Look more Richard Curtis than Danny Boyle... but probably a predicable, feel-good couple of hours. With all the cynicism in the world we need a few movies like this.

Can't be Richard Curtis. There is a non-white person in the cast........ But then again they are mostly very posh so........ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Gary (Nicholas Lyndhurst) in Goodnight Sweetheart used to do something similar in 1940/41.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Acosta

It looks painfully twee

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It does, but sometimes it's nice to just enjoy a sugary treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If ever a film more or less showed you the entire film and what is going to happen, that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

NIMAN wrote: »
    If ever a film more or less showed you the entire film and what is going to happen, that was it.

Personally I'd like all films to show more or less the entire film. I hate those films that redact huge chunks of the film, leaving you with a film barely 3 minutes long.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Seen it yesterday (funnily enough) and it's a bit meh overall.
    The most annoying thing for me is that the female lead, just before he sets of to conquer America, says to the guy that if he loved her he'd stay
    :confused:

And that makes the character very unlikable which I felt was an odd thing to do given that they are written as a very decent lovely person in every other way..... seems just lazy writing to me.

Also...
    The end of the film should have been him waking up from a coma ffs as the plot is pure madness, obviously.
    :P

Not a bad lighthearted film for couples or families of a Sunday afternoon at the flicks I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I'll be seeing it on Friday

Advertisement