Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hook and ladder changes

• 16-06-2017 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

I was in hook and ladder for the first time in a few weeks yesterday and i cant believe all of the changes they have made .I am a regular customer with some work colleagues and was a way for a few weeks on holiday. They have decimated their menu , no deluxe , no chicken cease wrap , no lasagna all favorites of mine. I got a BLT which was fine but again no crisps on the plate which they they used to give with every sandwich and no dressing on the leaf salad .
    If its not broke dont fix it , they have lost me and my work colleagues as regular customers now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭dzilla

I felt the same in the new Mclearys, got a ciabbata. came with a handful of side salad, no wedges or chrisps etc. Felt a bit short changed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

and isnt it Table service now ?
    (havent been in in a while )

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 28,007 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Have to agree, I used to like to go in there, but it has rather lost the run of itself. Its generally pretty full though so they must be doing something right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I think the table service has been a mistake, and the food coming from the kitchen doesn't look half as nice as before. A friend had breakfast when I was with her and it looked terrible.

And as for Mclearys, not a fan either, toast and coffee for ?6 and the toast was one and a half slices of batch bread, not even two slices! No scones there either, and they aren't exactly a strange request in a cafe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just looking at the menu as I type - the prices are at least as high maybe higher than GrowHQ and that's a fairly niche standalone operation, this crowd are a chain (albeit a small one). At grow you can walk the gardens free as an extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Don't like the table service, think what they had before was perfect. It also allowed people to go up to the counter, check out what cakes are available and buy on impulse. Don't get that same type of purchase when looking off a food menu.

Saying that, it's still a good place. Passed by McLearys Cafe on Sunday. Place was closed, meanwhile Hook And Ladder was packed. Dunno why McLearys Cafe closes on a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I feel the same about Topaz on the Cork Road, anyone been there lately? Used to be friendly staff and quick service, now theres always a surly guy there who badgers you for "do you want anything else, how about a lotto, some drinks" etc and you are ages waiting for service.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,779 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I feel the same about Topaz on the Cork Road, anyone been there lately? Used to be friendly staff and quick service, now theres always a surly guy there who badgers you for "do you want anything else, how about a lotto, some drinks" etc and you are ages waiting for service.

change in management?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,007 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I wonder is that Topaz policy - I was in a petrol station recently and was quizzed at length about anything else I might want, including lotto. Very irritating and would put me off going in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I get annoyed with "do you want cash back on that" or "do you have a club card", but I know it's part of their job to point these actually reasonable things out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I wonder is that Topaz policy - I was in a petrol station recently and was quizzed at length about anything else I might want, including lotto. Very irritating and would put me off going in.

It sure is unfortunately. Worked there for a few years. It used to wreck my head annoying the customers. They hire secret shoppers to come in once a month and you get a bollocking if you didn't 'upsell' at the time basically. Almost every area of retail is doing it these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,779 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Asmodean wrote: »
    It sure is unfortunately. Worked there for a few years. It used to wreck my head annoying the customers. They hire secret shoppers to come in once a month and you get a bollocking if you didn't 'upsell' at the time basically. Almost every area of retail is doing it these days.

good ould worker insecurity!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Used to work in Hook&Ladder, place had a queue out the door every lunch time! Has a great buzz about the place, Agree that they should keep the old way of doing things, it always seemed to work perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭jjoconoor

So how many people have now returned to this location since it has changed over a year ago? Due to go in there this weekend and came across this board.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

jjoconoor wrote: »
    So how many people have now returned to this location since it has changed over a year ago? Due to go in there this weekend and came across this board.

cant help you with that one as I haven't returned since I worked there a few years ago, but IMO I'd say most would return for those cakes alone :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

I go there regular and still queues out the door at lunchtime. I love the food and have never had a lunch I did not enjoy there .

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭poppies2

Have never had lunch there but their breakfasts are delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭jjoconoor

imacman wrote: »
    I was in hook and ladder for the first time in a few weeks yesterday and i cant believe all of the changes they have made .I am a regular customer with some work colleagues and was a way for a few weeks on holiday. They have decimated their menu , no deluxe , no chicken cease wrap , no lasagna all favorites of mine. I got a BLT which was fine but again no crisps on the plate which they they used to give with every sandwich and no dressing on the leaf salad .
    If its not broke dont fix it , they have lost me and my work colleagues as regular customers now

Been back since?

Advertisement