Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Free to air Irish and UK channels

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

I agree fully, that setting up Linux-based boxes requires substantial technical expertise. However, the image referred to needs no setup, other than inputting the local transmitter, in a simple drop down menu. In that regard it is as simple to set up as any other Freesat or Saorview box. It is far more stable than the Freesat box I’ve retired. We are using it now for over 8 months with no lockup’s of any kind.

I can fully understand why some installers, without Linux skills, are reluctant to use them. However,this image is locked down to stop users fiddling with them. I know of six in daily use, for many months, with delighted users. It is far easier to use, especially for older customers, as all the main channels are on a single EPG.

And what happens if the image fails???

When they are stable they are good that i agree on but they can be outside most people's comfort zone during an install or of it develops an issue further down the line. You would very rarely have an issue with a Freesat box.

Also what happens when the image is no longer supported??? Where does that leave the end user then??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

alta stare wrote: »
    The relevance is simple, Linux based systems are a bit more difficult to maintain for the average user compared to a Windows or Freesat based system. The platform is irrelevant its the OS i am referring to.

Your "average" users do not maintain their operating system, be that Windows or Linux or MAC or any other.
    They find someone with the capabilities to do so to help out.

All irrelevant to the subject of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭NewClareman

And what happens if the image fails???

When they are stable they are good that i agree on but they can be outside most people's comfort zone during an install or of it develops an issue further down the line. You would very rarely have an issue with a Freesat box.

Also what happens when the image is no longer supported??? Where does that leave the end user then??

Why would an image fail??? That’s like saying what happens when the Freesat software fails. (Both boxes use “Images”.) The answer is that once a Freesat image, or a Linux image is stable, it is stable. The difference is that the Freesat image is not (usually) updatable.

When an image is no longer supported, the customer is in the exact same position as with a Freesat box, once the supplier no longer provides firmware updates. In reality it won’t matter to the customer as the box (Freesat or Linux) will continue working away. Don’t get me started on so-called Saorview approved. My very expensive Smart TV does not retune automatically, or work with RTÉ Player. No sign of an new image in sight!

Have you ever used, or configured, a Linux box?

Gardening wrote: »
    Hi
    Can anyone recommend an installer for the free to air Irish and UK channels that all come through one recordable box in Waterford city please. Need aerial and dish.
    Thanks

Hi,

My recommendation is to separate the installation of the dish and aerial, from the box you’re going to use. Get any reputable installer to install the dish and aerial.

Get some one with a (very small) level of technical knowledge to look at the posts Johnboy1951 gave above. The cost of the box, which includes record facilities, is around €220. Setting it up takes only a half hour, and you’re good to go.

We tried the Freesat route two different times and the family found it simply too bothersome to use two boxes. I was given an ultimatum- sort it or go back to Sky. We now have a setup that is simple to use and everyone is happy with.

Good luck with your search.

Why would an image fail??? That’s like saying what happens when the Freesat software fails. (Both boxes use “Images”.) The answer is that once a Freesat image, or a Linux image is stable, it is stable. The difference is that the Freesat image is not (usually) updatable.

When an image is no longer supported, the customer is in the exact same position as with a Freesat box, once the supplier no longer provides firmware updates. In reality it won’t matter to the customer as the box (Freesat or Linux) will continue working away. Don’t get me started on so-called Saorview approved. My very expensive Smart TV does not retune automatically, or work with RTÉ Player. No sign of an new image in sight!

Have you ever used, or configured, a Linux box?

Why would it fail??? It is software and software can fail at anytime. Iv said it already im not against the Linux setup for tv im only suggesting Freesat as an alternative.

Regarding Freesat not being supported, it is very rare Freesat OS gives any problems and it is a well supported system backed up by big companies. Support is generally very good and it gives an end user piece of mind.

I agree about Saorview.

Yes i have done Linux boxes. I dont encourage it to any person who asks me about an install. (I dont do sat installs anymore) Id give them the information about various set ups and its always the Freesat option with which they go with.

• Advertisement

Why would it fail??? It is software and software can fail at anytime. Iv said it already im not against the Linux setup for tv im only suggesting Freesat as an alternative.

Regarding Freesat not being supported, it is very rare Freesat OS gives any problems and it is a well supported system backed up by big companies. Support is generally very good and it gives an end user piece of mind.

I agree about Saorview.

Yes i have done Linux boxes. I dont encourage it to any person who asks me about an install. (I dont do sat installs anymore) Id give them the information about various set ups and its always the Freesat option with which they go with.

Stable images (software) doesn’t fail, at any time, unless a change has occurred. Linux boxes give trouble because the software users change settings, add plugins etc. That’s why commercial offerings, such as Freesat, have all the settings locked down. It is also why the image I made is locked down, to ensure long term stability.

However, I fully understand your reluctance to use these boxes. I have many years experience with software and it took me a lot of time to get an image that I was happy with at home, let alone recommend to others. I shared the image so that others could make use of that work. 🙂

Stable images (software) doesn’t fail, at any time, unless a change has occurred. Linux boxes give trouble because the software users change settings, add plugins etc. That’s why commercial offerings, such as Freesat, have all the settings locked down. It is also why the image I made is locked down, to ensure long term stability.

However, I fully understand your reluctance to use these boxes. I have many years experience with software and it took me a lot of time to get an image that I was happy with at home, let alone recommend to others. I shared the image so that others could make use of that work. 🙂

The first paragraph kind of backs up my thoughts exactly. A user can modify the system which can cause it to fail. That cannot be done too easily on a Freesat system.

Anyway i dont want to come across that i am dismissing Linux or what you have put into your own image. If it works for you and others and ye are comfortable working on it if needs be then fair play. I still stand by my original point that Freesat is a good alternative and it is something i will continue to encourage not so tech savvy people to use..... Otherwise id keep getting daft phone calls and im too busy in my paid job for that craic :D

Gardening wrote: »
    Hi
    Can anyone recommend an installer for the free to air Irish and UK channels that all come through one recordable box in Waterford city please. Need aerial and dish.
    Thanks

Obviously not 'alta stare'. :D
    He is insistent on a Freesat box which means a second device is needed for the Saorview channels.

However, I fully understand your reluctance to use these boxes. I have many years experience with software and it took me a lot of time to get an image that I was happy with at home, let alone recommend to others. I shared the image so that others could make use of that work.

As far as I am aware there is no STB with Freesat approval that can also receive Saorview channels.
    All these posts about Freesat are a distraction from the original request.

Yes there are lots of alternatives available, but none of them are Freesat approved as far as I am aware. Lots of manufacturers produce 'combi' boxes with various tuner combinations and functions. It does not matter what OS those boxes use, the manufacturers determine their functionality.

The one alternative software that has the functions of Freesat without its limitations is one such as you (Clareman) have released.

It is great that the hardware exists that can use software images like yours. This must be one of the best tweaked images to be made available. Thank you for releasing your work on it.

It frees the user from artificial limitations placed on them by the manufacturer.

It is unfortunate that most installers apparently just want an easy life rather than providing the best experience possible for their customers.

But I suppose they might find it difficult to charge for something like doing an image such as yours as the 'average' customer would not appreciate the amount of work involved in preparing such an image.

Yet, over multiple installs that charge would not amount to much, so maybe there is something else that prevents them doing it?

Obviously not 'alta stare'. :D
    He is insistent on a Freesat box which means a second device is needed for the Saorview channels.

As far as I am aware there is no STB with Freesat approval that can also receive Saorview channels.
    All these posts about Freesat are a distraction from the original request.

Yes there are lots of alternatives available, but none of them are Freesat approved as far as I am aware. Lots of manufacturers produce 'combi' boxes with various tuner combinations and functions. It does not matter what OS those boxes use, the manufacturers determine their functionality.

The one alternative software that has the functions of Freesat without its limitations is one such as you (Clareman) have released.

It is great that the hardware exists that can use software images like yours. This must be one of the best tweaked images to be made available. Thank you for releasing your work on it.

It frees the user from artificial limitations placed on them by the manufacturer.

It is unfortunate that most installers apparently just want an easy life rather than providing the best experience possible for their customers.

But I suppose they might find it difficult to charge for something like doing an image such as yours as the 'average' customer would not appreciate the amount of work involved in preparing such an image.

Yet, over multiple installs that charge would not amount to much, so maybe there is something else that prevents them doing it?

Jesus some one got triggered. Poor petal.

The first paragraph kind of backs up my thoughts exactly. A user can modify the system which can cause it to fail. That cannot be done too easily on a Freesat system.

I think you missed the bit that said “It is also why the image I made is locked down, to ensure long term stability.” :)

• Advertisement

I think you missed the bit that said “It is also why the image I made is locked down, to ensure long term stability.” :)

No i definitely didn't. You don't make all Linux images do you? Im not only referring to your version.

No i definitely didn't. You don't make all Linux images do you? Im not only referring to your version.
    That implies you were including my version, does it not.

Anyway, I think Freesat boxes are excellent solution for people living in the UK, for whom they are designed. For people living in Ireland, who also want to watch Irish channels, they are a very poor substitute for a fully integrated solution.

What cunsumer, given an informed choice, would chose a more expensive, cumbersome, two box solution, over a single box one? Of course, if they are told that one solution is only for techies, they will avoid it.

Oh, by the way, not all free channels of interest to Irish customers are on Freesat. The solution I recommended has no such limitation.

That implies you were including my version, does it not.

Anyway, I think Freesat boxes are excellent solution for people living in the UK, for whom they are designed. For people living in Ireland, who also want to watch Irish channels, they are a very poor substitute for a fully integrated solution.

What cunsumer, given an informed choice, would chose a more expensive, cumbersome, two box solution, over a single box one? Of course, if they are told that one solution is only for techies, they will avoid it.

Oh, by the way, not all free channels of interest to Irish customers are on Freesat. The solution I recommended has no such limitation.

Anyone i know who has freesat/saorview dont mind two boxes if two boxes are required. Some tvs have terrestrial tuners so there is only one box. Its not the end of the world having to change source. A good universal remote can control devices making the changing very quick and easy.

Anyone i know who has freesat/saorview dont mind two boxes if two boxes are required. Some tvs have terrestrial tuners so there is only one box. Its not the end of the world having to change source. A good universal remote can control devices making the changing very quick and easy.

I agree with you, of course they don’t mind. If you want something and the only way you can get it is an expensive, cumbersome, two box solution; then that’s what they’ll go for. What choice have they been given?

I also agree with you, in regard to the remote. When people get pi$$ed of with the two box solution, as many do, the next step, is to get them a fancy universal remote. They’re happy out.

Then the remote gets out of step with one of the boxes, or the TV, or both. Now they’re in an even worse position as they can even turn on the bloody thing. The solution is now an even more expensive, cumbersome, two box solution, with a tricky remote. I’ve been on that journey, even bought a fancy Harmony remote.

Compare that to a single box, and single remote solution, for around €230. Give people that choice and see what they choose. Better still, set one up for yourself, you’ll have a fantastic solution, that you can demo to others. You’ll never look back.

I agree with you, of course they don’t mind. If you want something and the only way you can get it is an expensive, cumbersome, two box solution; then that’s what they’ll go for. What choice have they been given?

I also agree with you, in regard to the remote. When people get pi$$ed of with the two box solution, as many do, the next step, is to get them a fancy universal remote. They’re happy out.

Then the remote gets out of step with one of the boxes, or the TV, or both. Now they’re in an even worse position as they can even turn on the bloody thing. The solution is now an even more expensive, cumbersome, two box solution, with a tricky remote. I’ve been on that journey, even bought a fancy Harmony remote.

Compare that to a single box, and single remote solution, for around €230. Give people that choice and see what they choose. Better still, set one up for yourself, you’ll have a fantastic solution, that you can demo to others. You’ll never look back.

Like all things tech will fail whether it is remote controls, tvs, stbs so there are pro's and con's for each setup. Again (im repeating myself) i am not saying Linux is bad (i use it on my laptop and have configured boxes and setup systems using Kodi etc) all im saying there are alternative set ups which work well and from experience many people are quite happy to swap sources as it isnt a big deal.

I have not once dogged your setup so i dont understand why Johnboy got triggered. I hope your set up continues to please yourself and others and i say fair play for the time and effort you have put in. With that said i am allowed to suggest other set ups irrespective of whether the op asked for one box or twenty. Having a choice is always good.

I got 'triggered' as you call it because of your insistence on suggesting a two box solution whereas the OP specifically asked for a one box solution.

There are many, proprietary (locked down), one box solutions available to cover the OPs requirements. I have owned some and they are good at what they do.

Why do you insist on a two box solution when it is unnecessary to cover the OPs requirements?

TBH, I began to believe this is just a troll fest!

I got 'triggered' as you call it because of your insistence on suggesting a two box solution whereas the OP specifically asked for a one box solution.

There are many, proprietary (locked down), one box solutions available to cover the OPs requirements. I have owned some and they are good at what they do.

Why do you insist on a two box solution when it is unnecessary to cover the OPs requirements?

TBH, I began to believe this is just a troll fest!

I suggested the two box solution due to giving the op another good option just in case they didd not know about the freesat range of boxes. Simple really.

Also just because i dont toe your line i am trolling :D grow up man we are all allowed have different opinions and suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭treatyman

I've bought 3 of these boxes now for myself and other family members from these lads. I've also bought aerials etc necessary from them. Can't go wrong in my opinion.

https://www.freetv.ie/combo-receiver/

SAB™ Titan 4 Combo Receiver

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Boooourns

treatyman wrote: »
    I've bought 3 of these boxes now for myself and other family members from these lads. I've also bought aerials etc necessary from them. Can't go wrong in my opinion.

https://www.freetv.ie/combo-receiver/

SAB™ Titan 4 Combo Receiver

Whats the EPG ike on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭treatyman

Boooourns wrote: »
    Whats the EPG ike on them?

On the freetv.ie they have videos posted of the box working. You can see what it looks like. I only really watch it at weekends and even though the box is powered on the EPG isn't always up to date. If you change channels it seems to update then, only issue if even you can call it that. I am sure there is a way to have it get EPG over internet but i don't have it plugged in to broadband.

• Advertisement

treatyman wrote: »
    On the freetv.ie they have videos posted of the box working. You can see what it looks like. I only really watch it at weekends and even though the box is powered on the EPG isn't always up to date. If you change channels it seems to update then, only issue if even you can call it that. I am sure there is a way to have it get EPG over internet but i don't have it plugged in to broadband.

Freetv.ie is a good site. I get alot of stuff off it and never had any issues. Plenty of Linux, Freesat, Generic FTA boxes on it so there is a good choice for anyone looking.

Advertisement