Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Double Gameweek/Blank Gameweek Planning - FPL 2018/2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

MR NINE wrote: »
    Is bb worth that much in a double gameweek if you've used your wildcard? Getting 11 double gameweekers will be tough enough, having 15 with good fixtures is almost impossible without a wildcard. Ive already used my wildcard and bench boost. Obviously the wildcard would be very handy but not too fussed about having no bench boost. I will almost certainly use my free hit in a double gameweek to get 11 good dgw options without tearing my team up in the preceding weeks. TC will also certainly be used on a dgw. Navigating the 2 blank gws will be tricky but there are plenty transfers between now and then and very few players playing in those weeks that i would actually fear not owning.

Some live by it but involves too many players scoring 4 from 2 games. Might be some use if you have Liverpool players say then you can play 11 doublers without having to decide whether to leave your single game Liverpool players out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Green&Red wrote:
    31-FH
    32 - BB/TC
    33 - tough it out
    35 - BB/TC

You can only use one chip per game week.

Casual. Pffft.

*sarcasm smiley here* <-- damn app still has no smileys

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭sheroman01

MR NINE wrote: »
    Is bb worth that much in a double gameweek if you've used your wildcard? Getting 11 double gameweekers will be tough enough, having 15 with good fixtures is almost impossible without a wildcard. Ive already used my wildcard and bench boost. Obviously the wildcard would be very handy but not too fussed about having no bench boost. I will almost certainly use my free hit in a double gameweek to get 11 good dgw options without tearing my team up in the preceding weeks. TC will also certainly be used on a dgw. Navigating the 2 blank gws will be tricky but there are plenty transfers between now and then and very few players playing in those weeks that i would actually fear not owning.

I've only just had the realisation that, surely, a FH is much much better in a DGW than a skinny gw. Now,a few caveats; depends how many games in that DGW and how many players you have involved in a skinny gw. It's possible I might TC in a single gw...,and the thoughts of that fill me with nerves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭shineon23

The Crellin one is free on his twitter. I think you only pay for his individual coaching

Yeah that one seems to be the same format as recent years.

From looking on my phone I had thought he was only sharing screenshots of his 'pay for' spreadsheets as a taster.

I've now heard his paid ones are mapping out your transfers for the remainder of the season. If enough people buy them would they not be very similar teams forming coming up to the end of the season, maybe he's a genius and that's what he wants and fills his team eith differentials :D

That sort of thing wouldn't interest me at all, is he going legislate for me having a dream that Super Matty Targett gets a goal and clean sheet in a game that compels me to buy him up.
    I dont think so :P

Long live Cartman78's 'Obsessives' spreadsheet
    (no pressure :P)

sheroman01 wrote: »
    I've only just had the realisation that, surely, a FH is much much better in a DGW than a skinny gw. Now,a few caveats; depends how many games in that DGW and how many players you have involved in a skinny gw. It's possible I might TC in a single gw...,and the thoughts of that fill me with nerves.

The amount of double gameweek TC fails over the years I wouldn't panic on it too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭sheroman01

dsmythy wrote: »
    The amount of double gameweek TC fails over the years I wouldn't panic on it too much.

True. Son could be a very fun TC choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Gonna to go with the Free Hit next week, anyone in same boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

PARlance wrote: »

Moi

PARlance wrote: »

I'll probably end up doing it but dont want to as it could be a low scoring week so seems a waste

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

I have wild card, free hit, bench boost and triple captain still to play and reckon I’ll be able to get a decent team out in 31 without a chip.

Anyone come up with an optimum strategy for this situation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I have wild card, free hit, bench boost and triple captain still to play and reckon I’ll be able to get a decent team out in 31 without a chip.

Anyone come up with an optimum strategy for this situation?

I think it depends how your team looks, for example how many players do you currently have confirmed for GW31?

Personally I don't think anyone can have a final definitive strategy in place yet, before knowing the outcome of the FA Cup 5th round ties. For me, Wolves' progress in particular and whether Wolves vs Arsenal blanks in 31 is going to have a huge bearing on whether I build towards a 31 team and FH in the double in 32, or build towards doublers and FH in 31.

Personally I'd like to see the lots of blanks in 31 as I think it will hurt people who have already used their chips. I also only have one Liverpool player at the moment. It would also solve the dilemma of when to use TC as I'd use it in 32 most likely

EDIT: Sorry didn't read your post properly! Maybe for your situation if you're sure you'rein good shape for 31, I'd prob go:

BGW 31 - Ride it out
    DGW 32 - FH
    BGW 33 - Ride it out
    GW34 - WC
    DGW 35 - BB

Then there will likely be a final DGW I believe if City go all the way that you could use TC for? Or TC in a SGW, maybe Salah against Huds at home in GW36

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Apologies haven't been following this thread as much lately.

Who's fully confirmed for 31 so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Apologies haven't been following this thread as much lately.

Who's fully confirmed for 31 so far?

West Ham Huddersfield
    Bournemouth Newcastle
    Burnley Leicester
    Fulham Liverpool

• Registered Users Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

manual_man wrote: »
    West Ham Huddersfield
    Bournemouth Newcastle
    Burnley Leicester
    Fulham Liverpool

Think I've two players for that week and I'm not wasting a wildcard to fill it with dirt from them teams

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

manual_man wrote: »
    West Ham Huddersfield
    Bournemouth Newcastle
    Burnley Leicester
    Fulham Liverpool
    I've 3 pool, Fabianski and may buy Perrera. Currently have Nasri but don't think he's worth holding that long.

You'd be doign well to even get a decent free hit team from that.

Fabianski
    Robertson Perrera Tarkowski
    Salah Mane F.Anderson Fraser
    Vardy Arnoutovic Wilson

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

What’s the template are people thinking currently when you have BB TC FH & WC?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

West Ham Huddersfield
    Bournemouth Newcastle
    Burnley Leicester
    Liverpool

I have 3 Pool and Puncheon.

I am looking to get in Schar, Boruc, Ricardo Periera and Arnautovic for GW31.

Out will go
    Speroni - GW28
    Llorente - GW27 or GW29
    Shaw - GW30
    AWB - GW31

I'll be Free Hit in GW32

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

MrMac84 wrote: »
    What’s the template are people thinking currently when you have BB TC FH & WC?

It depends on your team and the outcome of the 5th round FA Cup ties imo. 2 template strategies I would argue, depending on the above.

A) If you have a fair few confirmed GW31 players and / or the likes of Wolves and Palace don't progress in the FA Cup (which presumably gives you even more players, like Arse and Spurs players), then 31 looks doable with just a couple of transfers in advance. In which case, I would argue the template is:

BGW 31 - build towards 11 players, no chip
    DGW 32 - FH
    BGW 33 - Ride it out (smaller blank)
    GW34 - WC
    DGW 35 - BB

TC either on Salah at home to Huds in 36 or possibly a City player if they end up with another double (maybe in 37? Can anyone confirm the liklihood of this?)

B) If you have very few confirmed GW31 players, and the likes of Wolves and Palace do progress from the 5th round, then getting a decent team out for 31 will be very difficult and you could sacrifice the preceding weeks scrambilng to get players in. In which case, I would argue the template is:

BGW 31 - FH
    DGW 32 - TC (Should be well set for a good double based on you not having a good team for 31. Use your transfers in 27-30 with half an eye on this GW)
    BGW 33 - Ride it out (smaller blank)
    GW34 - WC
    DGW 35 - BB

Personally I'm hoping for lots of blanks in 31 and to go with option B, it feels neater. But it will ultimately be dictated by what happens this weekend in the FA Cup.

Good post above. If you aren't too fussed about playing your BB in a double this would change the thinking again. Your WC could be used to set it up for any GW.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

I am really really hoping wolves get knocked out !
    Means I won’t have to FH in 31

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42,079 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

I’ve 3 Huddersfield players, 2 of which are regular starters. Is it worth getting rid of Schindler this gameweek or should I keep? Bearing in mind Huddersfield are a lower mid-table Championship team masquerading as a Premier League side.

I’ve 3 Huddersfield players, 2 of which are regular starters. Is it worth getting rid of Schindler this gameweek or should I keep? Bearing in mind Huddersfield are a lower mid-table Championship team masquerading as a Premier League side.

Newcastle, Wolves, Brighton, Bournemouth.

I'd be holding until GW31 v West Ham anyway until you know your exact plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭shineon23

Things are slowing beginning to take shape.

I was starting my own mini attempt at fixture ticker for the blanks and doubles but I see this 'Fixtures in the Blank & Double GWs' tab on Ben Crelin's Spreadsheet is what I was aiming for.

crelin-blanks-doubles.png

The 'as still to be rearranged' Chelsea-Brighton game doesn't seem to be included in this.

When this tab is further updated after Monday , I'll be using it to plan out my transfers up to GW33.

Building for the potential doubles in GW32 with transfers week by week.

Free Hit in GW31. No real interest in having coverage in the majority of these clubs before the blanks.

Hope for the best in GW33:
    I'll have 6 players with fixtures as it stands next weekend after my transfers prior to GW27. If i get close to 11 I'll be happy.

Wildcarding in GW 34,

Bench Boosting in GW 35.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

shineon23 wrote: »
    Things are slowing beginning to take shape.

I was starting my own mini attempt at fixture ticker for the blanks and doubles but I see this 'Fixtures in the Blank & Double GWs' tab on Ben Crelin's Spreadsheet is what I was aiming for.

crelin-blanks-doubles.png

The 'as still to be rearranged' Chelsea-Brighton game doesn't seem to be included in this.

When this tab is further updated after Monday , I'll be using it to plan out my transfers up to GW33.

Building for the potential doubles in GW32 with transfers week by week.

Free Hit in GW31. No real interest in having coverage in the majority of these clubs before the blanks.

Hope for the best in GW33:
    I'll have 6 players with fixtures as it stands next weekend after my transfers prior to GW27. If i get close to 11 I'll be happy.

Wildcarding in GW 34,

Bench Boosting in GW 35.

I had planned to FH in 32 but now with the way the fa Cup has worked out this weekend I only have 3 players for GW31 so I can only get that to 7 by 31. Might be best using those few transfers to build for 32 and just follow this strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Lads i still think they free hit in 32 is something of a no brainer. Even of you only have 3 or 4 for 31 you already have 2.or 3 Liverpool players plus your captain. There aren't brilliant options beyond that. 7 or 8 players plus Salah (c) and you won't lose much ground. Is free hit to get 3 or 4 extra players from Burnley or Bournemouth really worth it.

I think the benefits of being able to use it to hand pick 11 DGWers for 32, while Liverpool play spurs, has a far higher ceiling. Picking your DGWers is always best done as late as possible, the lads you think you want for 32 in GW28 OR 29 will be different to who you really wish you has at the GW32 deadline.

Finally, and shineon hinted at this above, a lot more of the BGW31 players will also play in BGW33 while many key DGW32 players may not, if for example the likes of City or Wolves make a semi final. So if you play towards 32, and negotiate 31 with a free hit you could find yourself in bother for 33. Not the end of the world possibly, as the blanks tend to be ok if you have a solid captain.

In summary, as a general principle, I've always believed that there is much more ground to be made in Doubles than in Blanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

FHFC wrote: »
    Lads i still think they free hit in 32 is something of a no brainer. Even of you only have 3 or 4 for 31 you already have 2.or 3 Liverpool players plus your captain. There aren't brilliant options beyond that. 7 or 8 players plus Salah (c) and you won't lose much ground. Is free hit to get 3 or 4 extra players from Burnley or Bournemouth really worth it.

I think the benefits of being able to use it to hand pick 11 DGWers for 32, while Liverpool play spurs, has a far higher ceiling. Picking your DGWers is always best done as late as possible, the lads you think you want for 32 in GW28 OR 29 will be different to who you really wish you has at the GW32 deadline.

Finally, and shineon hinted at this above, a lot more of the BGW31 players will also play in BGW33 while many key DGW32 players may not, if for example the likes of City or Wolves make a semi final. So if you play towards 32, and negotiate 31 with a free hit you could find yourself in bother for 33. Not the end of the world possibly, as the blanks tend to be ok if you have a solid captain.

In summary, as a general principle, I've always believed that there is much more ground to be made in Doubles than in Blanks.
    I agree it's better to use in a DGW that a BGW, but any logic to why you're picking to use it in DGW32 over DGW35?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,431 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Agree with that, i think using FH in GW31 to load up on sh1t would be a complete waste. Whereas in GW32, you could get a very strong first 11 out while using a cheap bench to maximise funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I agree it's better to use in a DGW that a BGW, but any logic to why you're picking to use it in DGW32 over DGW35?

Because of the blanks either side!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

But when do we BB and TC then ......

• Advertisement

FHFC wrote: »
    Because of the blanks either side!

I actually thought I was going mad, was reading this in here that BGW31 was best option but I couldn’t see how.

As you said, loading up on Burnley, West Ham players etc and then not having key players for DGW32

Advertisement