Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Hip Hop - why is it only growing now?

• 08-02-2019 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

What do people think are the reasons why Irish Hip Hop has been slept on till recently?

Rejjie Snow was the pioneer and is in my opinion the best hip hop artist from this country, but new artists such as kojaque,versatile,jafaris to name but a few are putting Irish Hip Hop on the map.

Why is it only happening now? We were known as the land of the poets and we are musically gifted ,why hasn't it translated and became an export before now?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

It has not been slept on until recently. I hate to be the one to say this but Rejjie Snow is no pioneer, the history of Irish Hop Hop goes way deeper than the last 5 or 6 years.

There are some people now that have a good platform and are getting great support from media outlets and festivals which is a positive thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 centralchill

Yeah I get your stance i get what you are trying to say, But let's call a spade a spade, Rejjie snows sound is unique and he is a pioneer in many ways, he brought it to the next level.

Who has brought it to the level he is at before him?

Also I'm talking about acceptance, It has been slept on in terms of acceptance from the wider community. Is it the accent?Are we too judgemental?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

He didn't bring it to the next level at all. Don't get me wrong, I like his recent album but he hasn't exactly made waves with it.

One of the original groups called Scary Eire were signed to Island, when Island where a f*cking huge label and were given a tonne of money to record an album....they just decided to spend that money on other stuff.

I'm probably too close to MJEX to tell their story, but they had incredible offers, played SBSW, played The Picnic, played on BBC Radio, banned from RTE :)

Rejjie Snow has done songs with Joey Badass/Kaytranada to name the two that come to mind, these artists are on another level with their sound,commercially etc.No other Irish artist has been on tracks with these type of hip hop artists.

Yeah that is interesting I have never heard of these artists but i will check them out for sure man. These guys i'm sure are pioneers too but in a different way.

I forgot about Rob Kelly as well, the guy is still friends with some of the early artists on Rocafella and is even on the new Sean Price album that is out today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Rejjie snows sound is unique.

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    played SBSW

I loved MJEX, but playing SBSW doesn't really mean anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Camac Hibs

Yeah I get your stance i get what you are trying to say, But let's call a spade a spade, Rejjie snows sound is unique and he is a pioneer in many ways, he brought it to the next level.

Who has brought it to the level he is at before him?

Not sure about how much of a pioneer he is in fairness, decent output but hardly a trailblazer.

I probably bore people with it but for me the three albums dropped by the working class records crowd (LD50II by lethal dialect, underworld by GI, illosophical by Costello) have yet to be rivalled, although some Sons Phonetic stuff is definitely up there.

Effects wrote: »
    I loved MJEX, but playing SBSW doesn't really mean anything.

This was when it was a proper music industry thing, not the fashion accessory it has become these days.

Camac Hibs wrote: »
    Not sure about how much of a pioneer he is in fairness, decent output but hardly a trailblazer.

I probably bore people with it but for me the three albums dropped by the working class records crowd (LD50II by lethal dialect, underworld by GI, illosophical by Costello) have yet to be rivalled, although some Sons Phonetic stuff is definitely up there.

He tours the world,he is known outside of Ireland for his music and has collaborated with big names across the pond (both producers and rappers) He has his own original visual aesthetic and style, and his own sound.

He's not my favourite artist by any means and im no fan boy but props are due when props are due. In my eyes he is a pioneer.

I was in Metz in North East of France in some Dive bar and some random French dude in his 40s put on his song "Eygptian Lover" from his latest album(Produced by Kaytranada a ****ing deadly producer).
    It was then I realised how popular he was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

It peaked with the lad from Big Brother. What was it, something like...
    "Headin out to Blanch
    Bein chased by Special Branch
    F.I.N.G.L.A.S"

Indeed

He tours the world,he is known outside of Ireland for his music and has collaborated with big names across the pond (both producers and rappers) He has his own original visual aesthetic and style, and his own sound.

He's not my favourite artist by any means and im no fan boy but props are due when props are due. In my eyes he is a pioneer.

I was in Metz in North East of France in some Dive bar and some random French dude in his 40s put on his song "Eygptian Lover" from his latest album(Produced by Kaytranada a ****ing deadly producer).
    It was then I realised how popular he was.

He's hardly known in Ireland and honestly, he was the punchline to a joke amongst the hip hop heads in Ireland for a lone time. Mention his name to some and they will still scoff at the sound of his name.
    I doubt that Kaytranda went out of his way to produce for him either, money can by anything.

It peaked with the lad from Big Brother. What was it, something like...
    "Headin out to Blanch
    Bein chased by Special Branch
    F.I.N.G.L.A.S"

Indeed

Spiral :)

He might of been a punchline to peoples jokes, but I'd be a punchline to peoples jokes to be in his shoes man.
    Kaytranada has a few songs with him to be fair, Whatever is linking them up who knows, but they linked up. That's my point, he will receive hate and jealousy because of his success i understand that, that outlines how successful he is.

He is known in Ireland, he'd sell out a show no bother in any Irish city?Clearly is known

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Rejjie, is that you?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

Makaveli wrote: »
    Rejjie, is that you?

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

When I think of pioneers, I think of RíRá, Collie, Redzer, Nugget, Class A'z, Rob Kelly, Scary Eire, Messiah J & The Expert and then later Siyo, Funzo, Lunitic, G.I., Jambo, Lethal Dialect and Costello. By no means is Rejjie Snow a pioneer of anything. He's not even that good to be honest.

Makaveli wrote: »
    Rejjie, is that you?

Machiavelli is that you?

Oh no sorry its "Makaveli" his dyslexic brother.

I'm just arguing my point, Isn't that what forums are for.

Unfortunately forums also contain trolls like you.

Don't start your time in the forum by calling others trolls please

KJ wrote: »
    When I think of pioneers, I think of RíRá, Collie, Redzer, Nugget, Class A'z, Rob Kelly, Scary Eire, Messiah J & The Expert and then later Siyo, Funzo, Lunitic, G.I., Jambo, Lethal Dialect and Costello. By no means is Rejjie Snow a pioneer of anything. He's not even that good to be honest.

So basically you don't like Rejjie Snow. Ok that's fair enough.

Do you like/know any new hip hop artists?

Don't start your time in the forum by calling others trolls please

I "started my time in the forum" by starting a thread and articulating my thinking behind my opinion.

If you read through the comments you'll see I've been cool, I only reacted to Makevelli's unoriginal comment.

It's ok in my book to react to someone being a dick online or offline.

So don't try and patronise me.

His comment was a troll comment , it needs to be said regardless if im here a week, or 10 years.

• Advertisement

I "started my time in the forum" by starting a thread and articulating my thinking behind my opinion.

If you read through the comments you'll see I've been cool, I only reacted to Makevelli's unoriginal comment.

It's ok in my book to react to someone being a dick online or offline.

So don't try and patronise me.

His comment was a troll comment , it needs to be said regardless if im here a week, or 10 years.

This is going to be the last post about this on thread, anything else, PM me.

I am not patronising you, the bold letters in my name mean I'm a mod, I'm trying to offer you advise on how to navigate the hip hop forum.
    Secondly, it's not ok to react to someone based on the Terms of Use you signed up to and the charter of the forum. Report posts that you believe are not in spirit of the forum.

His comment was a joke. Nothing more, nothing less. We are allowed humour here.

This is going to be the last post about this on thread, anything else, PM me.

I am not patronising you, the bold letters in my name mean I'm a mod, I'm trying to offer you advise on how to navigate the hip hop forum.
    Secondly, it's not ok to react to someone based on the Terms of Use you signed up to and the charter of the forum. Report posts that you believe are not in spirit of the forum.

His comment was a joke. Nothing more, nothing less. We are allowed humour here.

Yeah my comment was a joke too to be fair, it just depends what side of the fence your sitting on.

I'm not reporting anyone I'll say it straight up on this to the persons face so they can see my reply.

I mean no hate.

So basically you don't like Rejjie Snow. Ok that's fair enough.

Do you like/know any new hip hop artists?
    I don't dislike him. He's alright but nothing special.
    The current ones I like are This Side Up, Rusangano Family, Rebel Phoenix, Rapthor, Jafaris, Mango x Mathman, Just Mikey.
    I'm sure I will think of others as soon as I post this.

Phantom/TXFM used to be good for playing Irish music. I have the unpleasure of having to listen to 2FM at work but in fairness to them, they do play a lot of Irish music. Mostly **** pop acts but they are playing the **** of the new Jafaris song lately and Rebel Phoenix gets a few spins as well. I think they have a hip hop style show on a Saturday night with Mo K but I've never listened to it so can't confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

KJ wrote: »

Ri-Ra's '25 O'clock in the mornin' has never been topped.

I only ever heard it played once on mainstream Irish radio and that was by Hector on his first breakfast show.

If you're not getting mainstream radio time, you're not getting out there to audiences and so unless you go looking, as I do, you will never hear Irish hip hop.

Redzer, Nugget, Class A's, Siyo - I only found them through youtube searches.

Would be nice to see them being given support slots when visiting hop hops acts are playing.

There's clearly a new wave happening in Irish Hip Hop at the minute, and it's exciting. Some of the stuff going out is real quality.
    There is variety too , boom bap,trap, lyrically too people are stepping up content wise, and flow wise. There is different types of artists too, hood style rappers telling stories, other rappers getting more artistic in their delivery.

The Dublin accent can be hard on the ear for someone who isn't irish, I think thats what held back a lot of artists from succeeding outside of ireland, but it seems to be becoming "cool" now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

The Dublin accent can be hard on the ear for someone who isn't irish, I think thats what held back a lot of artists from succeeding outside of ireland, but it seems to be becoming "cool" now.

Can be harsh on those who are Irish as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Seem to remember a Rejjie Snow tune posted on this forum years ago where he was rapping with an American accent, possibly posted by the man himself but don't quote me on that.

Seem to remember a Rejjie Snow tune posted on this forum years ago where he was rapping with an American accent, possibly posted by the man himself but don't quote me on that.

Probably, but starting out there is nothing wrong with mimicking those you listening to.
    He got loads of stick for that as well, but has since fallen into his own lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,837 ✭✭✭pgj2015

whats the story with the Drill guys saying man dont know,man runs etc , i know its copying the UK drill music but like no one talks like that in Ireland or do they? do there drill guys do gigs in Ireland? saw one guy with a balaclava on but he has a tattoo around his eye which im sure people will know him by, why bother wearing it.

Advertisement