Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GAA players endorsements

• 10-02-2019 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Had a good chat last night with a few of my mates that’s are playing intercounty. They were all adamant that one of their team mates was earning close to €200k a year through sponsorship alone. That he had a few mill in the bank.

This absolutely shocked me. I know there are players earning substantial sums through sponsorship but I had no idea players were earning that sort of money and definitely not consistently over a long period.

I didn’t want to try and argue, logic would suggest these figures were greatly exaggerated but I wouldn’t know. Anyone else hearing some are earning these sums?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Someone is pulling your leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

patoh1 wrote: »
    Had a good chat last night with a few of my mates that’s are playing intercounty. They were all adamant that one of their team mates was earning close to €200k a year through sponsorship alone. That he had a few mill in the bank.

This absolutely shocked me. I know there are players earning substantial sums through sponsorship but I had no idea players were earning that sort of money and definitely not consistently over a long period.

I didn’t want to try and argue, logic would suggest these figures were greatly exaggerated but I wouldn’t know. Anyone else hearing some are earning these sums?

Sounds like blatant exaggeration to me.

I can't imagine even the top players at inter county level are earning those kind of six figure sums.

Oft they'll become brand ambassadors and get use of a car for a year.

I have heard figures for personal appearances bandied about but those gigs to my knowledge are not an everday occurrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 patoh1

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Someone is pulling your leg.

I would be of that opinion too but the conversation wasn’t directed at me. They were talking about it amongst themselves.

The person in question would be one of the biggest gaa players in the country so would be at the top end in earnings but I still thought it was exaggerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Total nonsense. Free cars, free boots, some free clothes are pretty much the height of it. Some money for appearances but really those are quite few and far between. Not like they can charge for appearing at an u12 medal presentation.

Total nonsense. Free cars, free boots, some free clothes are pretty much the height of it. Some money for appearances but really those are quite few and far between. Not like they can charge for appearing at an u12 medal presentation.

This player would be the face of a lot of national advertisement, and would be a brand ambassador for a few very big companies. Similar to Bernard Brogan

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 195 ✭✭GAA Beo

The player that comes to mind is Bernard Brogan. Is it him?

Bernard Brogan is the GAA's most bankable star. With a total of four All-Ireland winners' medals in his trophy cabinet, the Dublin forward has a number of lucrative business and sponsorship deals.

Estimates put his personal sponsorship earnings at €100,000 per year, with sponsors including Volkswagen and SuperValu, as well as brand ambassador roles with Vodafone, Red Bull and AIG.

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/gaa-star-brogan-scores-off-the-pitch-as-firms-profits-hit-165k-35837204.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

I have heard of free college fees and accommodation (Sigursen Cup) and well paid job were no work is done. In saying that I don't know any GAA stars living the high life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

If it's not brogan, you'd think it would be another Dublin player. Given the population of Dublin, there'd be a huge 'local market' there. This isn't a dig at the dubs or anything like that - it's just a reference to the large marketing/advertising Audience that would be in the capital.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I would be of that opinion too but the conversation wasn’t directed at me. They were talking about it amongst themselves.

The person in question would be one of the biggest gaa players in the country so would be at the top end in earnings but I still thought it was exaggerated.

Yeah. But think about it for a sec. To have "a few million in the bank" after tax, you'd have to be on about €400,000 a year, for over 10 years. So it would have to be someone who was a earning that kind of income from their 18th birthday into their 30's.

As great as a Joe Canning or a Bernard Brogan or a Conor McManus are & as high profile as they are, there no way any of them have been pocketing that kind of sponsorship money for well over a decade.

RMAOK wrote: »
    If it's not brogan, you'd think it would be another Dublin player. Given the population of Dublin, there'd be a huge 'local market' there. This isn't a dig at the dubs or anything like that - it's just a reference to the large marketing/advertising Audience that would be in the capital.

Not brogan, and not a Dub, but probably the most well known gaa player outside of Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Not brogan, and not a Dub, but probably the most well known gaa player outside of Dublin

Canning

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Yeah. But think about it for a sec. To have "a few million in the bank" after tax, you'd have to be on about €400,000 a year, for over 10 years. So it would have to be someone who was a earning that kind of income from their 18th birthday into their 30's.

As great as a Joe Canning or a Bernard Brogan or a Conor McManus are & as high profile as they are, there no way any of them have been pocketing that kind of sponsorship money for well over a decade.

I agree, what would you reckon the above are on a year? Outside of Brogan, who is apparently on between 100k-140k a year.

I find it hard to imagine lads outside of that Dublin team could be earning that sort of money. Maybe at their very best year, 100k. Shocked if sponsors or employers are willing to give them that sort of dosh. Do car dealerships really think if they sponsor an athlete that I’m more likely to buy a car there?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

This is your first thread. And it's complete bollocks.

Let me guess, a Mayo player?

RossieMan wrote: »
    This is your first thread. And it's complete bollocks.

Let me guess, a Mayo player?

It’s not a Mayo player, and genuinely my story isn’t bollocks. This was discussed last night around a table with 5-6 of his team mates (he wasn’t there) and they’re all under the same impression.

Now maybe the story is bollocks, I personally don’t believe companies are paying players that sort of money through sponsorship...but that’s why I came on here to see if anyone knew more than I did.

You'll have to give us the county name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

No neck?

(If we're talking football).

patoh1 wrote:
    Galway

Has to be Canning.

No neck?

(If we're talking football).

Hahaha no not comer

Has to be Canning.

Anyway these guys are bringing in 200k a year or is the boom really back?

Canning may have millions in the bank(🙄) but if he does it's because he has a lot of fingers in a lot of pies outside of GAA and not because Redbull etc are throwing some cash at him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

You don't see Canning on all that much. Isn't his main income a Camile franchise in Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

I'd say Lee chin makes a decent wedge every year.
    He's a bit of a special case though.
    I'd have heard of a few high profile lads with good sales jobs, making serious dough on commission, basically off the back of their status, and not having to work particularly hard for it

eurokev wrote:
    I'd say Lee chin makes a decent wedge every year. He's a bit of a special case though. I'd have heard of a few high profile lads with good sales jobs, making serious dough on commission, basically off the back of their status, and not having to work particularly hard for it

Didn't he go pro last year. Quit his job so that he could concentrate on things with Davy.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭buzsywuzsy

You don't see Canning on all that much. Isn't his main income a Camile franchise in Limerick?

He has three of them franchised now.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

Didn't he go pro last year. Quit his job so that he could concentrate on things with Davy.

Yep. He's a professional athlete now.
    Richie Hogan went full time last year aswell afaik, someone is bankrolling that you can be sure. There's a good few more too.
    I would have known a few lads who played county before who had what I would call token jobs, their job went as far as them wearing a company hoody or mentioning who paid their wage in an interview, but they were for all intents and purposes pro athletes with a sponsor

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Is it really necessary to know the identity of the player?

Good luck to him if he's making that kind of money but I don't find it in any way credible.

I do know that another income stream is the whole social influencers gig where they endorse a product and followers lap up the purchase of the latest boots they've endorsed etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭kksaints

Well actually, I heard a story about a "pro" player in the South-East who asked for a few thousand for the opening of a community center and when asked if he would hand out medals to an underage camoige team asked for extra money. Needless to say he was given short shrift and they got someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

I'd be flabbergasted if any player is bringing in €200000 a year on endorsements alone.

However, if a high profile player like a Canning or Bernard Brogan was sensible with the extra income they make from endorsements then the idea of them bringing in €200000+ a year after 10 years of endorsements wouldn't surprise me at all.

grbear wrote: »
    I'd be flabbergasted if any player is bringing in €200000 a year on endorsements alone.

However, if a high profile player like a Canning or Bernard Brogan was sensible with the extra income they make from endorsements then the idea of them bringing in €200000+ a year after 10 years of endorsements wouldn't surprise me at all.

Bringing in €200000 a year after 10 years of endorsements?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Sure, why not?

For instance if they were able to live off the money they make from the day job then they could use the income from the endorsements as a deposit on an investment property each year. Ten years of that and they'd be clearing €200,000 a year without too much effort.

Advertisement