Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to read new oven temperature dial

• 03-02-2019 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

See attached pic. Is 200:the dot before/ after/ on the 200. Significant other and I cannot agree. Things have burned ...

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

73trix wrote: »
    See attached pic. Is 200:the dot before/ after/ on the 200. Significant other and I cannot agree. Things have burned ...

The oven is set to above 200 in my opinion. It’s hard to read accurately because it’s a very poor design, but I’d guess that it’s at about 210/215. To set at 200, I’d aim for right in the middle of the “200”.

Seems like you should get an oven thermometer to save the confusion. It would be very useful given the difficulty with accurately setting a temperature with that dial.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Each white dot is the number beside it.

So work from 250 back and you are 250, 200, 150 etc.

So for example in-between these will be say 160-170-180-190.....

Where it's at in the picture is around the 180 mark.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

That oven is off...

That oven is off...

The white dot is what tells whether it's on or off or at what settings.

These are a very widely used by LL as they are very cheap cookers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,233 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Faith wrote: »

The oven is set to above 200 in my opinion. It’s hard to read accurately because it’s a very poor design, but I’d guess that it’s at about 210/215. To set at 200, I’d aim for right in the middle of the “200”.

Seems like you should get an oven thermometer to save the confusion. It would be very useful given the difficulty with accurately setting a temperature with that dial.
    Faith wrote: »

I’d say it’s set for 175. The white dot is the temperature the writing says

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Where it's at in the picture is around the 180 mark.
    +1, what makes me sure is that if the position was to be central then if it was turned fully on it would be getting to 275C which is extremely unlikely. So turn to the most extreme state and it would be 250C.
    That oven is off...
    I thought so too at first, due to the line, but the lights are on and if you turn the pic sideways and see the little dot it will become more clear what is going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I'd call the '200' the 200 and the dot above it 225.

following that logic do you think it goes to 275C?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

We recently got a new cooker and it wasn’t immediately clear. So I got out a digital thermometer, stuck in the oven and adjusted the dial until I understood it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,737 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

rubadub wrote: »

Why not?
    Mine does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

That makes no sense, there is a dot at the beginning and end of the scale. The dots obviously represent the mid points between the indicated numbers - 75, 125, 175 etc.

By your logic, what do the first and last dots on the scale represent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Yep I'd say so.

coylemj wrote: »
    That makes no sense, there is a dot at the beginning and end of the scale. The dots obviously represent the mid points between the indicated numbers - 75, 125, 175 etc.

By your logic, what do the first and last dots on the scale represent?

Self explanatory to be honest the 1st dot is 50......

Why not?
    Mine does.
    I have never used or heard of an oven that went to 275C. But looking online I see they do.

I would have thought the max temp would have been listed on the dial. Is you dial like there one?

Reading the OP again they are saying stuff burned, so could well be going to 275C, (i.e. they set to 225C thinking it is 200C)

If the OP gave the model number or a better pic it could be looked up.

You can test the oven temp using sugar, it will brown at a particular temp, loads of youtube guides about it.

I was reading it the same as OldMrBrennan, because you’d need something to mark a midway point if you’re only writing in 50 degree increments. But if the white dot does correspond with the writing, then that’s an even worse design than I first thought.

My oven goes to 270, I think, so I can’t see why the oven couldn’t go to 275.

My oven goes to 270 C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Now I'm really confused as there's such a difference in opinion. I've never seen a dial like it! Didn't notice it when buying the cooker of course!

I might call DID electrical and quote the model.

Now I'm really confused as there's such a difference in opinion. I've never seen a dial like it! Didn't notice it when buying the cooker of course!

I might call DID electrical and quote the model.

I've had these in rentals and I may be right in saying not fan assisted or if it is it ain't great as them dials are extremely familiar to me.

Stuff would burn real easy too.

The way it works is you see light simple, next one is grill then once turned after that it's oven all the way.

It may well turn that bit extra after the last dot which is the 250 mark.

Fan assisted oven with better dials is a must if it's going to be used a lot.

The hop rings tend to be extremely hot for quite some time after if it's the one I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Dunno how people are seeing it as below 200, it's obviously beyond 200c, not much but it's higher
    I'd expect the 200 to be directly centered under the dot for it to be 200

The suggestion that the user is supposed to figure out that to set it to 200, you set the dial to the dot either before or after 200 is completely barmy.

OP, quote the make and model here please. And don't bother phoning DID, their priority will be to get rid of you so they will say what they think you want to hear.

• Advertisement

Did you buy it new? Just from your picture, it looks like it might be second hand, which has an impact as well as older ovens can be more prone to running at the incorrect temperature from the setting on the dial.

I would have thought the max temp would have been listed on the dial. Is you dial like there one?

Mine is marked up to 275
    Electrolux

coylemj wrote: »
    The suggestion that the user is supposed to figure out that to set it to 200, you set the dial to the dot either before or after 200 is completely barmy.

OP, quote the make and model here please. And don't bother phoning DID, their priority will be to get rid of you so they will say what they think you want to hear.

Here it is. Oven is new.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,417 ✭✭✭✭Alun

User manual for that doesn't give any useful information in that regard.

Easiest way is just to get an oven thermometer, I saw a Kitchenaid one the other day for 6.99, and test it.

fritzelly wrote: »
    Dunno how people are seeing it as below 200, it's obviously beyond 200c, not much but it's higher
    I'd expect the 200 to be directly centered under the dot for it to be 200
    Dunno how you think it’s over 200. Each for clearly represents the preceding label

ted1 wrote: »
    Dunno how you think it’s over 200. Each for clearly represents the preceding label

Nothing about that dial is clear.
    To me each dot is a midway point between the numbers but I wouldn't claim that to be clear or obvious.

Op put a pot of water in the oven set to mid 100. Leave it, then set it to the white dot after 100 and it’ll start to boil ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

ted1 wrote: »

Each square represents 25c increments, starts from 75 being the min and 275 max
    I have never seen an oven, like these types, where the increment counters meant anything other than markers for increments between the written temps.
    Would be just stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

That photo needs to be rotated to the left.Looking straight at the cooker the light is usually at the bottom right of the dial.Read temp as follows,75c,100c,125c,150c,175c,200c,225c,250c,275c.The dots are the 75c,125c etc.

• Advertisement

That makes the most sense! Thanks all. :-)

Advertisement