Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N52 - Tullamore to Kilbeggan (M6) [route options published]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,381 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The most unnecessary scheme I can think of....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

road_high wrote: »
    The most unnecessary scheme I can think of....
    AADT measurement of 13,323 in 2017...

https://www.nratrafficdata.ie/c2/gmapbasic.asp?sgid=ZvyVmXU8jBt9PJE$c7UXt6

Well above the design level for Type 1 Single AFAIK - the next spec up is a 2+1 retrofit for 14,000. If a new build is required, then the next specification is Type 2 Dual for a capacity of 20,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Middle Man wrote: »
    AADT measurement of 13,323 in 2017...

https://www.nratrafficdata.ie/c2/gmapbasic.asp?sgid=ZvyVmXU8jBt9PJE$c7UXt6

Well above the design level for Type 1 Single AFAIK - the next spec up is a 2+1 retrofit for 14,000. If a new build is required, then the next specification is Type 2 Dual for a capacity of 20,000.

if you are dueling Tullamore/ M6 , You could nearly Duel Mullingar/M6. i drove Birr to Navan yesterday and between Mullingar and the M6 i actually dont think it would cost a fortune to convert it to Type 2 with only major works required around Belvedere

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭medoc

€300k for the next stage planning of the N52 Tullamore to Kilbeggan. This was originally 2+2 when first under planning by the old NRA before the recession, I’m not sure if it’s still 2+2.

https://www.offalyexpress.ie/news/home/362243/offaly-td-welcomes-300-000-funding-for-tullamore-kilbeggan-link-road.html

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

medoc wrote: »
    €300k for the next stage planning of the N52 Tullamore to Kilbeggan. This was originally 2+2 when first under planning by the old NRA before the recession, I’m not sure if it’s still 2+2.

https://www.offalyexpress.ie/news/home/362243/offaly-td-welcomes-300-000-funding-for-tullamore-kilbeggan-link-road.html

Be a complete waste of a new road if it isn't 2+2..

• Advertisement

Be a complete waste of a new road if it isn't 2+2..

Its 2 + 2 already its just missing the barrier!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

roadmaster wrote: »
    Its 2 + 2 already its just missing the barrier!

That's the bits nearer to the M6 and Tullamore; this scheme is to deal with the narrower bit in between, these bits with no shoulders etc

L1011 wrote: »
    That's the bits nearer to the M6 and Tullamore; this scheme is to deal with the narrower bit in between, these bits with no shoulders etc

no i mean the whole stretch as i often met cars 3/4 a breast on all sections. i dont know how people havent being killed to date.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

roadmaster wrote: »
    no i mean the whole stretch as i often met cars 3/4 a breast on all sections. i dont know how people havent being killed to date.

There is no way 3 or 4 cars can fit abreast on the middle section.

L1011 wrote: »
    There is no way 3 or 4 cars can fit abreast on the middle section.

i was driving home at Christmas and around the graveyard a car going north was using the filter lane for over taking while a car going south two cars in front of me pulled nearly in to the grave yard wall to allow a car that was up its rear to get by. there might not be room a lot of the way but that does not stop crasy overtaking

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Presumably the southernmost section of this will reuse the stretch built as part of the Tullamore bypass.

The rest of it will likely be offline.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭medoc

marno21 wrote: »
    Presumably the southernmost section of this will reuse the stretch built as part of the Tullamore bypass.

The rest of it will likely be offline.

Yes the bit from the Silver River to the R443 Arden roundabout is WS2 and was built to be retrofitted to 2+2 when the Kilbeggan link was constructed. It was supposed to be offline to the east of Durrow from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Tender has come for Phases 1 to 4

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Surely one of the less necessary schemes banging about right now.
    Post edited by spacetweek on

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

spacetweek wrote: »
    Surely one of the less necessary schemes banging out right now.

It has a pretty high AADT and is less than 10km so I’d say it is justified.

Improving the N52 and N80 would link all the inter-urban motorways without using the M50 which would be a massive plus

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It’s 4.6km of Type 2 dual. If it weren’t included in the programme there’s not much that would take its place

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

spacetweek wrote: »
    Surely one of the less necessary schemes banging out right now.

You obviously don't drive that stretch of road do you

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

You obviously don't drive that stretch of road do you

Just because you find it to be a bad road doesn't mean that there aren't higher priority roads elsewhere in the country.

Just because you find it to be a bad road doesn't mean that there aren't higher priority roads elsewhere in the country.

You obviously don't either, I can play this game all day long. As has been mentioned numerous times there is an upcoming lack of big projects being shovel ready anytime soon so moving ahead with these smaller projects makes sense

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

You obviously don't either, I can play this game all day long. As has been mentioned numerous times there is an upcoming lack of big projects being shovel ready anytime soon so moving ahead with these smaller projects makes sense

I didn't say that this shouldn't go ahead. However your sense of entitlement because you use the road undermines your argument. There are people all over the country saying the same thing. My section needs to be done, you don't drive on it so you don't know how bad it is! Luckily that's not how projects are decided on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

RPS awarded Phases 1 to 4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭kala85

Anyone know where I can get the road design plan and spec for this

Contract for planning & design was just signed a few weeks ago. So I'd imagine you would have to wait until they actually plan and design it first

Will there be any compulsory purchases of land or is it just widening the existing road

kala85 wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can get the road design plan and spec for this

AFAIK, it will be approx. 500m to 1km to the east of the existing road.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭steeler j

Is there talk of the bypass being upgraded to 2+2 ?

Will the new road be dual carriage way

kala85 wrote: »
    Will the new road be dual carriage way

It hasn’t been decided yet but 2+2 is assumed as the existing road is already wide single carriageway

marno21 wrote: »
    It hasn’t been decided yet but 2+2 is assumed as the existing road is already wide single carriageway

Well, the northern and southern ends are WS2, but the central section is old S2, which has narrow hard shoulders, but it is certainly still one of the better sections of existing N52.

• Advertisement

Certainly, anything less than 2+2 would be shortsighted, IMHO.

Advertisement