Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conveyor belt streets in city centres

• 05-02-2019 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭

No i'm not high.

Just was wondering about the merits of inventing these on narrow streets with large populations using them.

This would help out old people, disabled etc getting around where there has been a car ban or a 1 way system put in place. In my (admittedly pie in sky) fantasy of this, there would be several faster lanes if your in a hurry and move to slower lanes as you approach destination of the street.

Probably be greener than the current combo of cars/buses and trams on those streets.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Probably be greener than the current combo of cars/buses and trams on those streets.

Are these cars, buses, and trams taking people from one end of the street to the other, and then stopping?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭veryangryman

RayCun wrote: »
    Are these cars, buses, and trams taking people from one end of the street to the other, and then stopping?

There are not. Hence the need. Think Grafton St, Shop St, Cruises St.

But you said
    "Probably be greener than the current combo of cars/buses and trams on those streets"

So are you talking about pedestrian streets or streets with traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭veryangryman

RayCun wrote: »
    But you said
    "Probably be greener than the current combo of cars/buses and trams on those streets"

So are you talking about pedestrian streets or streets with traffic?

Both really. The ones that are pedestrianised need cars for the infirmed to get around them, thus enforcing car use.

I think you need to give this idea more thought.

Or less thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We are getting fatter as a nation and you want to stop people walking now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

If the councils were to cover up their inner city streets with shelters and lay on travelators as you get in airports and generally make the inner cities weatherproof this would reduce the need for bringing cars into the city centres and allow outer ring parking to take place.

I have also thought that covered cycleways, segregated from motor traffic and pedestrian traffic, would be a great step forward.

This will not happen until cars become prohibitively expensive and the middle class and the educated class become affected by substandard public transport.

Until that happens the middle class will not be motivated enough to look for change in this direction.

Such systems would need heavy policing in order to avoid the shelters becoming blocked by people sleeping in them and blocking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭cgcsb

doolox wrote: »
    If the councils were to cover up their inner city streets with shelters and lay on travelators as you get in airports and generally make the inner cities weatherproof this would reduce the need for bringing cars into the city centres and allow outer ring parking to take place.

I have also thought that covered cycleways, segregated from motor traffic and pedestrian traffic, would be a great step forward.

This will not happen until cars become prohibitively expensive and the middle class and the educated class become affected by substandard public transport.

Until that happens the middle class will not be motivated enough to look for change in this direction.

Such systems would need heavy policing in order to avoid the shelters becoming blocked by people sleeping in them and blocking them.

Are you high? The middle class already favour sustainable transport, 70% and growing of commutes to Dublin City Centre are by sustainable modes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭cgcsb

No i'm not high.

Just was wondering about the merits of inventing these on narrow streets with large populations using them.

This would help out old people, disabled etc getting around where there has been a car ban or a 1 way system put in place. In my (admittedly pie in sky) fantasy of this, there would be several faster lanes if your in a hurry and move to slower lanes as you approach destination of the street.

Consider examples elsewhere in the world.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

No i'm not high.

The purpose of conveyor belts ( I think they are called Travelators or Ecsalators if they are staircases) is to convey large numbers of people who otherwise would overload the passageway. They are essential in the London Underground during rush hour. They guarantee a minimum speed for pedestrians, irrespective of the crush.

That situation does not apply here.

So - NO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement