Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Funding for traffic lights on the Martin roundabout

Options
  • 06-02-2019 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭

The council has just secured funding for traffic lights on the Martin roundabout out side the Galway clinic. I would have figured the coolagh roundabout at the end of the motorway would be a bigger priority than that roundabout.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭zell12

The council has just secured funding for traffic lights on the Martin roundabout out side the Galway clinic.
    Not another roundabout with lights :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭muskyj

The council has just secured funding for traffic lights on the Martin roundabout out side the Galway clinic. I would have figured the coolagh roundabout at the end of the motorway would be a bigger priority than that roundabout.

It is to facilitate access to the new Ardaun village (when it will be built). I have no doubt that it will be a disaster traffic wise!

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/funding-secured-for-upgrade-of-martin-roundabout-to-signalised-junction/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

muskyj wrote: »
    It is to facilitate access to the new Ardaun village (when it will be built). I have no doubt that it will be a disaster traffic wise!

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/funding-secured-for-upgrade-of-martin-roundabout-to-signalised-junction/

Sure that could be 20 years for all we know. There is an immediate issue at peak times getting off the motorway which could possibly be aided with lights at that spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Sure that could be 20 years for all we know. There is an immediate issue at peak times getting off the motorway which could possibly be aided with lights at that spot.

Don't think so - this is No 1 area for NEW housing for City Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

zell12 wrote: »
    Not another roundabout with lights :eek:

i would imagine this is to replace the roundabout.
    that is the normal to take out all existing roundabouts and replace with signalized junctions

• Advertisement

muskyj wrote: »

The really crazy aspect is that they got the money from an Urban Regeneration Fund. Daft.
    https://merrionstreet.ie/MerrionStreet/en/ImageLibrary/20181126_URDF_List.pdf

Galway Metropolitan Area

Category A
    Lead Partner Proposal County Region Typology 2019 Funding Allocation
    Galway County Council
    Ardaun Upgrade of Martins Roundabout
    Galway NWRA RSI IUD €2,703,000.00
    Galway City Council
    Cycling and Walking Galway NWRA CP €2,900,000.00
    Total €5,603,000.00

Category B
    Lead Partner Proposal County Region Typology
    Galway County Council
    Sandy Road Liosbán Galway NWRA PR CP
    National University of Ireland Galway (NUIG)
    Nuns Island Masterplanning Galway NWRA IUD
    Galway Harbour Company
    Regeneration of Galway City Inner Harbour
    Galway NWRA IUD
    Provisional Overall Allocation for 2019 €708,500.00

Total Galway Metropolitan Area A & B Combined 2019: €6,311,500

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved out from a thread about Bóthar na dTreabh speed limits

Link to source for OP https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/funding-secured-for-upgrade-of-martin-roundabout-to-signalised-junction/

May be moved to Infrastructure
    It's better to have the city forum for when it actually happens so people can be informed of traffic disturbances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Laviski wrote: »
    i would imagine this is to replace the roundabout.
    that is the normal to take out all existing roundabouts and replace with signalized junctions

Yeah, I would hope this as that's what they've been doing in recent years. A signalised roundabout is a failure in design.

I was just thinking this weekend that Joyce's Roundabout (Statoil at Bohermore) would be a good candidate for replacement with a signalised junction. It really is too small to be 2 working lanes but too busy to change it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

It really is too small to be 2 working lanes but too busy to change it.

Absolute workhorse of a little roundabout!

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

All the roundabouts .... Bohermore / corrib great southern/ corrib park/ fort Lorenzo / castlelawn heights ...need to be pulled out.
    They need to be replaced by a modern/ working/ rush hours cctv operated traffic light system .
    The mixture of roundabouts / traffic lights CANT WORK.
    I've been at traffic lights recently in galway that are timed to let 3 cars go tru.
    Any wonder drivers are still going tru on red lights !!!!!

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    Moved out from a thread about Bóthar na dTreabh speed limits
    Thanks - agree on this
    May be moved to Infrastructure
    It's better to have the city forum for when it actually happens so people can be informed of traffic disturbances.

Disagree on this - the design of the junction and its affect on the nearby community and future community in Galway City is far more important than the limited "traffic" disruption that will occur during construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭brianhickey

Absolutely. In my experience the Martin roundabout is only backed up by people trying to avoid the motorway roundabout by going up Doughishka road. Having said that the Galway Clinic not having pedestrian access is terrible. Both should be addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Thanks - agree on this

Disagree on this - the design of the junction and its affect on the nearby community and future community in Galway City is far more important than the limited "traffic" disruption that will occur during construction.

Whatever about the reason ...i reckon it makes sense for this topic to have it's little niche in the Galway City forum.

Safe pedestrian access to the clinic could be a game changer for many. Very frustrating to live in sight of your workplace and not be able to walk there.

Safe pedestrian access to the clinic could be a game changer for many. Very frustrating to live in sight of your workplace and not be able to walk there.

Agree 100%. Galway Clinic is practically an island if you want to get to it by bike or on foot. Would allow more public transport options as well. Could take the #409 bus and walk the last leg rather than just relying on the #410, see people doing that at the minute from the Doughiska/Roscam junction. Walking on grass verge then have to cross slip road, then two dual carriageways. No footpaths. Nasty

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Agree 100%. Galway Clinic is practically an island if you want to get to it by bike or on foot. Would allow more public transport options as well. Could take the #409 bus and walk the last leg rather than just relying on the #410, see people doing that at the minute from the Doughiska/Roscam junction. Walking on grass verge then have to cross slip road, then two dual carriageways. No footpaths. Nasty

On foot yes, but it's very easy to access it by bike - you just go the same route you would in a car. There are actually roads going all the way to the front door, believe it or not.

Zzippy wrote: »
    On foot yes, but it's very easy to access it by bike - you just go the same route you would in a car. There are actually roads going all the way to the front door, believe it or not.

Ha ha - sure post a video of you doing it and don't forget to include the bike parking at Galway Clinic with ALL the bicycles of the employees who do it.
    Maybe if your a Zzippy cyclist who can handle slip roads dual carraigeways and multi-lane roundabouts.
    Proof of the pudding is in the eating they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It's a wonder why no-one proposed a foot bridge there.

Footbridges are usually not a good idea, unless there is absolute no way across otherwise. Like across a railway, river or fast motorway.
    There is a footbridge in a town I lived for years that's never been used as people rather dart across the road anyway.

Not this one :D
    mini-footbridge.jpg

And that's what will happen here too.

• Advertisement

p8L3BGU.jpg
    siXa0e1.jpg
    jqdVbMk.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Ha ha - sure post a video of you doing it and don't forget to include the bike parking at Galway Clinic with ALL the bicycles of the employees who do it.
    Maybe if your a Zzippy cyclist who can handle slip roads dual carraigeways and multi-lane roundabouts.
    Proof of the pudding is in the eating they say.

I used to live in Doughiska and cycled out the DC regularly on training spins, so I'm well used to cycling that roundabout in both directions. I don't need to film myself doing it for your verification, I don't give a hoot if you believe me or not.

Zzippy wrote: »
    I used to live in Doughiska and cycled out the DC regularly on training spins, so I'm well used to cycling that roundabout in both directions. I don't need to film myself doing it for your verification, I don't give a hoot if you believe me or not.

Ya your a Zzippy cyclist. I get it. See previous post. Probably wearing cycling racing clothes using a dropped handle bar bike?
    If you want to attract staff who want to actual cycle to work in the Galway Clinic - it needs to be way easier that negotiating multi lane roundabouts , slip roads and dual carriageways.

Please use common civility. Bickering or snippy comments might just get you threadbanned.

biko wrote: »
    Footbridges are usually not a good idea, unless there is absolute no way across otherwise. Like across a railway, river or fast motorway.
    There is a footbridge in a town I lived for years that's never been used as people rather dart across the road anyway.
    And that's what will happen here too.

Agree that footbridges are not a good idea, however here it might make sense once Arduan is built, it will be shorter travel distance to cross via foot or bike here between Doughiska and Arduan. Would hazard a guess that the biggest barrier against would be the existing residents opposing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Isn't there a tunnel under the Ballybrit Road linking the Clayton to the Business Park? Would cyclists use it much to get to Parkmore?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Worn Out

flazio wrote: »
    Isn't there a tunnel under the Ballybrit Road linking the Clayton to the Business Park? Would cyclists use it much to get to Parkmore?

There is and it’s useful. I use it every day. There’s a little drinking that goes on sometimes but the council keep it good condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Would cyclists use it much to get to Parkmore?

It's grade separated, so good for both. I use it a couple of times a week, but rarely see bicycles doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭the-island-man

I worked in Parkmore between 2010 and 2013. I used it a lot. Great way of getting from the old Monivea road to Parkmore. At the time you would see broken bottles of buckfast down there which was a pain in the h***. Still worth the risk of a puncture rather than trying to cross the Briarhill junction.

• Advertisement
Advertisement