Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

6n 2019 Scotland Vs Ireland build up thread

• 05-02-2019 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭

Please don't mention he-who-must-not-be-named.

Hard to know which way this one is going to go. Scotland are at least as badly injured as Ireland and completely fell apart in the last quarter against Italy.

Will Ireland be on the warpath after a stinging loss or will they be wounded and playing with a lack of confidence?

As of this post, PP have Ireland at -7. That's really good value on +7 for Scotland in my book.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Zebo. Right, that's that out of the way. No one is to mention him in this thread. Zero tolerance policy remains in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Zzippy wrote: »
    Zebo. Right, that's that out of the way. No one is to mention him in this thread. Zero tolerance policy remains in place.

Hear hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Questions for Schmidt I would have.

Is Best really the option? it's a big step to drop the captain etc, so I'm sure he'll be named, but it reminds a bit of SA and the John Smit situation. I personally think Scannell is the best option with Cronin getting the last 30 minutes or so.

Options that make the pack more "bulky" such as Ruddock and Leavy also reduce the lineout options. With the locking stocks severely depleted, I wouldn't rush to ditch the likes of POM.

Careful thought needs to go into the makeup of the back 3. From what I've seen, Addison looks a very good player, I would have him somewhere in the 23.

Cat will really be among the pigeons if Ireland go 0-2, especially given this match will be repeated in a few months. It's just as big a test for Scotland as it is for Ireland IMO, definitely the match of the weekend, as anything involving Italy is a yawnfest, and I don't see France beating England at Twickenham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Perifect

15. Larmour
    14. Earls
    13. Henshaw
    12. Aki
    11. Stockdale
    10. Sexton
    9. Cooney
    8. Conan
    7. Van Der Flier
    6. O'Mahony
    5. Dillane
    4. Ryan
    3. Furlong
    2. Scannell
    1. Healy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

swiwi_ wrote: »

Is Best really the option? it's a big step to drop the captain etc,

I'd certainly like Cronin given a go , hopefully Best will return to form - in fact, would like a bit of expermintation - Carberry/Cooney/Larmour to full back , Addison in centre - maybe give Porter a go , a back row of van der Flier/SOB/Conan . second row is a worry - Dillane to partner Ryan

• Advertisement

swiwi_ wrote: »

Is Best really the option? it's a big step to drop the captain etc, so I'm sure he'll be named, but it reminds a bit of SA and the John Smit situation. I personally think Scannell is the best option with Cronin getting the last 30 minutes or so.

Options that make the pack more "bulky" such as Ruddock and Leavy also reduce the lineout options. With the locking stocks severely depleted, I wouldn't rush to ditch the likes of POM.

Careful thought needs to go into the makeup of the back 3. From what I've seen, Addison looks a very good player, I would have him somewhere in the 23.

Cat will really be among the pigeons if Ireland go 0-2, especially given this match will be repeated in a few months. It's just as big a test for Scotland as it is for Ireland IMO, definitely the match of the weekend, as anything involving Italy is a yawnfest, and I don't see France beating England at Twickenham.

Are we really losing much if Best isn't in the team from a leadership perspective? There was zero on display on Saturday anyway.

Is Leavy healthy? I haven't seen an update and he hasn't played since before Christmas. The best way to manage him back would be against Southern Kings next week, then Italy the following week.

An 0-2 start would be a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Best has proven himself repeatedly. Excellent display against NZ only a couple of months ago and he was far from the only one who struggled on Saturday. Not saying he's a certainty to start in the World Cup but he's more than enough credit in the bank to retain his place this week.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Best has proven himself repeatedly. Excellent display against NZ only a couple of months ago and he was far from the only one who struggled on Saturday. Not saying he's a certainty to start in the World Cup but he's more than enough credit in the bank to retain his place this week.

I think you're right, he has a few more mediocre performances before Joe weighs up his options.

Best is still capable of great performances but his form this season has been inconsistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

troyzer wrote: »
    Are we really losing much if Best isn't in the team from a leadership perspective? There was zero on display on Saturday anyway.

Is Leavy healthy? I haven't seen an update and he hasn't played since before Christmas. The best way to manage him back would be against Southern Kings next week, then Italy the following week.

Who takes up the captaincy if Best doesn't play? All it takes is Scotland to target Johnny and get him riled up like Munster did, or pull a Sinckler and have POM lose the head.

Leavy was still declared unfit last week with his calf, but who do you bring him in for, VdF? POM?

POM has to start this weekend, we're already missing Toner so our lineout is going to be weak, and the other question is who calls it.

Fraser Brown will be a huge plus for Scotland if he starts, Jonny Gray if he starts will also be an absolute pain in the arse at the lineout.

Who takes up the captaincy if Best doesn't play? All it takes is Scotland to target Johnny and get him riled up like Munster did, or pull a Sinckler and have POM lose the head.

Leavy was still declared unfit last week with his calf, but who do you bring him in for, VdF? POM?

POM has to start this weekend, we're already missing Toner so our lineout is going to be weak, and the other question is who calls it.

Fraser Brown will be a huge plus for Scotland if he starts, Jonny Gray if he starts will also be an absolute pain in the arse at the lineout.

I wouldn't bring Leavy in yet but I think an ideal backrow for the rest of the Six Nations is POM, VdF and SOB with Leavy on the bench.

For this week though, I'd have Ruddock on the bench. He can cover second row as well in a pinch.

The lineout is going to be a concern though, no doubt. Some of the calls on Saturday were absolutely mad.

• Advertisement

O'Mahony is the obvious candidate for captaincy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Perifect wrote: »
    15. Larmour
    14. Earls
    13. Henshaw
    12. Aki
    11. Stockdale
    10. Sexton
    9. Cooney
    8. Conan
    7. Van Der Flier
    6. O'Mahony
    5. Dillane
    4. Ryan
    3. Furlong
    2. Scannell
    1. Healy

Is Ringrose injured?.....because he was Ireland’s best performer in the back line last wkd so don’t see why he wouldn’t start v Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2019/0205/1027748-obrien-kearney-and-roux-primed-for-ireland-starts/

Looks like these are the options to face Scotland:

15. Kearney, 23. Larmour
    14. Earls - Byrne
    13. Henshaw - Addison, C Farrell, T Farrell
    12. Aki
    11. Stockdale
    10. Sexton, 22. Carbery - Carty
    9. Murray, 21. Cooney - Blade
    8. O’Brien - Conan
    7. Van der Flier, 20. Murphy
    6. O’Mahony - Ruddock
    5. Roux - Holland
    4. Ryan, 19. Dillane
    3. Furlong, 18. Porter - Ryan
    2. Best, 16. Cronin - Scannell
    1. Healy, 17. Kilcoyne - McGrath

Is Ringrose injured?.....because he was Ireland’s best performer in the back line last wkd so don’t see why he wouldn’t start v Scotland.

Yes, he's out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 474 ✭✭Former Observer

Kearndawg at 15

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Yes he's injured, might be back for Italy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 474 ✭✭Former Observer

Think Ruddock would be magnificent addition for Scotland game.

I'm fond of Best, and he has been a great servant, but if the World Cup was 12 months away I wonder how many people would be content about his inclusion this Six Nations. He still steps up, but at the same time, he's putting the fear of god in no one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I think you're right, he has a few more mediocre performances before Joe weighs up his options.

Best is still capable of great performances but his form this season has been inconsistent.

Bollox.

Best has been excellent for Ulster and was excellent against NZ.

I didn't think he was particularly poor against England anyway.

Actually I don't even know where this has come from that all of a sudden on the back of one game that many people want him dropped or phased out or whatever.

bilston wrote: »
    Bollox.

Best has been excellent for Ulster and was excellent against NZ.

I didn't think he was particularly poor against England anyway.

Actually I don't even know where this has come from that all of a sudden on the back of one game that many people want him dropped or phased out or whatever.

I called it before the England match. There's a world cup coming up and Best will be 37. We need to have plans in place and prepared!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Jewelers

Kearndawg at 15

sweet ****awful name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭part time punk

I wouldn't bring Leavy in yet but I think an ideal backrow for the rest of the Six Nations is POM, VdF and SOB with Leavy on the bench.

For this week though, I'd have Ruddock on the bench. He can cover second row as well in a pinch.

The lineout is going to be a concern though, no doubt. Some of the calls on Saturday were absolutely mad.

Good shout about Ruddock.

That complicated lineout call near our own line just before half time was mental. Crooked throw and scrum to England. Don't know what they were thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Any sort of win will do. A pig ugly one pointer will have me delighted. They regroup properly over the rest week.

I'll admit I'm very concerned about this game now. Our gameplan is about the unrelenting workrate and physicality of our pack. We're missing three excellent locks and our best 8.

We can absorb the injury to Ringrose even though he a better 13 than any other 13 we have. Farrell is a decent player even if a bit samey to Aki. We'll lose that playmaker in the centres with Ringrose injured. I don't want to see Aki try that again either. Don't think that's his game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Would love to see
    1 Healy
    2 Cronin
    3 Furlong
    4 Ryan
    5 Dillane
    6 POM
    7 VDF
    8 SOB
    9 Cooney
    10 Carbery
    11 Stockdale
    12 Henshaw
    13 Aki
    14 Conway
    15 Larmour

16 Scannell
    17 McGrath
    18 Porter
    19 Roux
    20 Ruddock
    21 Murray
    22 Sexton
    23 Addison

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Parent of an Angel

I am Irish as James Nesbitt and even I say Scotland will snatch this by at least 10pts because a) its at Murrayfield where only South Africa have beaten them in the last year plus the crowd will be a factor and b) Ireland were dreadful on Saturday, even Italy could have troubled them on that performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Would love to see
    1 Healy
    2 Cronin
    3 Furlong
    4 Ryan
    5 Dillane
    6 POM
    7 VDF
    8 SOB
    9 Cooney
    10 Carbery
    11 Stockdale
    12 Henshaw
    13 Aki
    14 Conway
    15 Larmour

16 Scannell
    17 McGrath
    18 Porter
    19 Roux
    20 Ruddock
    21 Murray
    22 Sexton
    23 Addison

So would Scotland!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Addison should come in for Ringrose. He's playing very well and is a similar type player too!
    Henshaw imo is not in the same league at 13 as the other two!
    Maybe Henshaw at 12 and Aki at 13?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭BAM! uhavechlamydia

Keith Earls saying he actually got hurt during the kick off against England...
    Also said that he got his shoot out completely wrong for their try, 100% his fault

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

ClanofLams wrote: »

Credit in the bank? So he plays until he runs out of credit?

If he's not good enough to play and some young whipper snapper is better than he goes to the bench. Look at what happened to bernard brogan in last year's all Ireland final. He didn't get on the pitch and I would say he had plenty of so called credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Keith Earls saying he actually got hurt during the kick off against England...
    Also said that he got his shoot out completely wrong for their try, 100% his fault

Jonathon Davies mostly blamed Murray for the try as e was totally out of position leaving earls to back the wrong horse situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Credit in the bank? So he plays until he runs out of credit?

If he's not good enough to play and some young whipper snapper is better than he goes to the bench. Look at what happened to bernard brogan in last year's all Ireland final. He didn't get on the pitch and I would say he had plenty of so called credit.

Quite clearly, I meant that one average/poor performance wasn’t going to cost him his starting position given almost the whole team was of a similar standard.

Of course if someone is ‘better’ they will start. Best on form is our best hooker. There will naturally be doubts as to whether he can maintain his form at his age but given he proved himself against the number one team in the world a couple of months ago, it is highly likely he will retain his position this week.

Advertisement