Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tyre age for NCT?

Options
  • 05-02-2019 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭

The last twice (yearly tests) I put the car through the test I was given an advisory fail for the 2 rear tyres based on their age. There's probably not much more than 14k -15K clocked up on them so the threads are good. But as Im up for the test tomorrow again I was wondering if there is a limit on the number of times that you can be given an advisory fail for tyres? Anyone had an experience of this in the past?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

No limit. Just advisory at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

NCT manual http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/NCT/New%202018/NCT%20Manual%202018.pdf
    Advisory Pass applies where the date of manufacture is obvious on the tyre, a tyre older than six years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

muffler wrote: »
    The last twice (yearly tests) I put the car through the test I was given an advisory fail for the 2 rear tyres based on their age. There's probably not much more than 14k -15K clocked up on them so the threads are good. But as Im up for the test tomorrow again I was wondering if there is a limit on the number of times that you can be given an advisory fail for tyres? Anyone had an experience of this in the past?

No, for simple reason that there is no advisory fail...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thanks guys.

Oh, advisory pass was the term I should have used apparently :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭w211

Normally tyre have 5 + 5 years life time. 5 years from manufacturing to sale sale and 5 years for using. I really understand why so many order these from online. They get the new stock from EU warehouses and do not need to worry how the local stock was stored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

w211 wrote: »
    Normally tyre have 5 + 5 years life time. 5 years from manufacturing to sale sale and 5 years for using. I really understand why so many order these from online. They get the new stock from EU warehouses and do not need to worry how the local stock was stored.

People order online to save money. Not to get the most recently manufactured tire.

I doubt you get them any "newer" than from local sellers. Could be the opposite really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

wonski wrote: »
    People order online to save money. Not to get the most recently manufactured tire.

Speak for yourself... I do it for various reasons, mainly not to deal with local garages that can offer me 'Hankooks or Pierellis' (don't they know there is more than one Pirelli in my size?!). Getting they cheaper and fresher is an added benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

w211 wrote: »

I got 2 week old tyres supplied and fitted by a local supplier as cheap as online without any need to hual 4 tyres around. Ring around and you will get good value locally, you could just as easy get old tyres from a warehouse as local.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Del2005 wrote: »
    I got 2 week old tyres supplied and fitted by a local supplier as cheap as online without any need to hual 4 tyres around. Ring around and you will get good value locally, you could just as easy get old tyres from a warehouse as local.
    No need to haul anything around, get the tyres delivered to the fitter, easy.

So, went in for the test this morning and the age of the tyres was never mentioned in the report. Strange, as it was noted in the last 2 tests.

The only 2 little issues I had was a missing rubber cover on the accelerator pedal and a bit of water/moisture in one of the tail lights. I have to get those sorted and bring the car back for a visual inspection only. Happy days :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

muffler wrote: »
    There's probably not much more than 14k -15K clocked up on them so the threads are good.

But the problem with age isn't to do with mileage or tread (not "thread") - rubber perishes over time, so it becomes hard and brittle which decreases grip and increases the chance of punctures or blowouts. If there's visible cracking or crazing they need to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Amouar

Alun wrote: »
    No need to haul anything around, get the tyres delivered to the fitter, easy.
    How much does it roughly cost to fit and balance a tyre bought online?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Got mine done a few weeks back, €15 fitted and balanced

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Is there any advantage to getting tyres in Newry ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Amouar

slave1 wrote: »
    Got mine done a few weeks back, €15 fitted and balanced

Did you get the tyres delivered directly to them? Also is this in Dublin and does it include taking your old tyres for recycling?

But the problem with age isn't to do with mileage or tread (not "thread") - rubber perishes over time, so it becomes hard and brittle which decreases grip and increases the chance of punctures or blowouts. If there's visible cracking or crazing they need to go.
    Yeah, I realise that and understand why the NCT crew highlight these issues. I did have a neigbour who works in a tyre fitting depot have a look at mine and he said they were fine so Im happy enough for now anyhow.

mikeecho wrote: »
    Is there any advantage to getting tyres in Newry ?
    Im not far from the border and over the years I would always have got my tyres in NI apart from the odd occasion when I was stuck or a last minute rush before the NCT when I would have purchased in my local town. Tyres and batteries are generally cheaper in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

Re: crazing and cracking, any photos of this, my tyres have lots of thread but are 6 years old, walls are perfect,but there are small cracks right along the circumference of the tyres.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd still change them. Your life and that of your passengers and anybody else around your car essentially depend on 4 bits of rubber.

I never said anything about crazing and cracking ..... almost 3 years ago!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I know a taxi company and they always buy tyres well before needed as he told me a few years ago he get 25% more from a tyre when the rubber hardens...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I'd say the Fail/Advisory on tyres over 6 years old serves to protect NCTS against claims.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Oh I'd believe it. Doesn't do anything for grip though.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭billgibney

I think its an Ireland rip off thing

UK Site

Irish site.

Gouging?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I wouldn't say that is gouging. It is a recommendation and not mandatory to replace an old tyre. Even the NCT does not mark a tyre older than 6 years as a fail, just an advisory (as stated on page 93 of the NCT Manual: nct-tester-manual-june-2021.pdf (rsa.ie)).

Prudence, however, would say that a vehicle owner should be checking their tyres regularly for signs of damage or perishing anyway. Whether that happens or not, is a different story. 🙂

Advertisement