Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Barna to Galway Greenway petition

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Would be fantastic, even cooler would be to continue out the other side of the city to oranmore as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Would be even better if we see the sea as we're walking along. The sea wall behind the golf course is an eyesore. Why they couldn't build the path higher is beyond me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

https://connachttribune.ie/2m-fund-for-galway-greenway/

This was planned , wherever its at

I guess putting a road through the middle of it at NUIG wont help

The first 3 km is usable along river, lovely walk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

youngrun wrote: »

"The 12.4km route from NUI Galway to Moycullen village, of which 11.4km will be ‘off-road’, mostly follows the route of the old Clifden railway line and is expected to be up and running within two years."

Article dated April 2014, ah Galway... :rolleyes: :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

J o e wrote: »
    "The 12.4km route from NUI Galway to Moycullen village, of which 11.4km will be ‘off-road’, mostly follows the route of the old Clifden railway line and is expected to be up and running within two years."

Article dated April 2014, ah Galway... :rolleyes: :(

Yes seemed great at the time..
    Id say landowner negotiations plus likely freeze given road planning application has derailed or will stall for a while yet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'd love to see a properly done separated greenway. Not like the poxy effort in Southpark though which only has a painted line to protect pedestrians from bicycles.

But I'd like to see a bus lane even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Would be even better if we see the sea as we're walking along. The sea wall behind the golf course is an eyesore. Why they couldn't build the path higher is beyond me

It's not the prettiest but it's absolutely necessary.

I took these photos on 1 Feb 2014 when a lot of the path and sea wall behind the golf club were obliterated by a storm the previous night;

EPvQkiOh.jpg

ZkiDkBzh.jpg

eZFdvmjh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭what_traffic

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    It's not the prettiest but it's absolutely necessary.
    fergiesfolly is not arguing about the necessity - just the visual and functional aspect of it, which is poor. It was thrown together. Poring or the concrete on top of the Dyke structure without reinforced steel is plain daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭what_traffic

But I'd like to see a bus lane even more.
    Along the Prom?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Along the Prom?

Absolutely.

There are a huge number of tourist buses going to Connemara in summer, a regular city bus every 20 mins and some regional buses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Stick to the Greenway petition please, which is for walking and biking.
    Buses or other means of transport can be discussed in another thread.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

AFAIK this is included in the city development plan 2017-23. This map here shows the proposed greenways and new bridge proposed for the outflow from Rusheen Bay.

From the city development plan document:
    Support the proposed Greenways as part of the primary cycle network and as part of a link to Bearna,Oranmore, Maigh Cuilinn and Oughterard

There is a thread in the Roads forum about greenways, they might have more info there.

Advertisement