Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post office - Headford road area

Options
  • 03-02-2019 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭

Is there a reason why the Headford Road area has no post office?

I currently live in Tirellan Heights and I consider my local post office to be in Mervue.

I find that odd because if you consider the following residential areas it would seem to me that there's a lot of people living in the area:
    - Tirellan Heights
    - Castlelawn Heights
    - Sandyvale lawn
    - Balinfoyle
    - The new estate around where Tesco Express is
    - Bothar na choiste
    - Menlo village
    - Dun/cuirt/gort na Corribe

I tried to find population figures buts it's difficult as there's only 3 electoral areas in the city so the Headford road area is lumped in with the city center:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galway_City_Council

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's all relatively new.

Posr offices are being closed not opened. There are none in Knocknacarra or Doughiska either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Is there a reason why the Headford Road area has no post office?

I currently live in Tirellan Heights and I consider my local post office to be in Mervue.

I find that odd because if you consider the following residential areas it would seem to me that there's a lot of people living in the area:
    - Tirellan Heights
    - Castlelawn Heights
    - Sandyvale lawn
    - Balinfoyle
    - The new estate around where Tesco Express is
    - Bothar na choiste
    - Menlo village
    - Dun/cuirt/gort na Corribe

I tried to find population figures buts it's difficult as there's only 3 electoral areas in the city so the Headford road area is lumped in with the city center:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galway_City_Council
    A reason? Yes it's 2019 and there's one in town, a twenty minute walk away or short bus journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭the-island-man

It's all relatively new.

Posr offices are being closed not opened. There are none in Knocknacarra or Doughiska either.

Having none in Knocknacarra really puts things in perspective!

A reason? Yes it's 2019 and there's one in town, a twenty minute walk away or short bus journey.

Thank you for the informative reply.

I would hardly call it a quick bus journey, a lot of the time it is much quicker to walk. There's no bus lane and it's often stuck on the N6/Woodquay/Francis Street. There have also been numerous instances where the bus is delayed and that's understandable given there's no bus lane but the real time app provided by the NTA is also wrong.

Regarding walking, of course I walk but a lot of the time I feel guilty bringing my baby along the N6 with all the car pollution.

Why would you use the N6 going to your closest post office on Eglinton St? Maybe you mean the n84. Either way there's no need for more post offices in this day and age. They serve a purpose in rural communities lacking facilities but not when there are ones already in easy reach in urban locations.

• Advertisement

Why would you use the N6 going to your closest post office on Eglinton St? Maybe you mean the n84. Either way there's no need for more post offices in this day and age. They serve a purpose in rural communities lacking facilities but not when there are ones already in easy reach in urban locations.

Maybe have a look at some maps before replying. The N84 ends at the Kirwan roundabout.

I wouldn't agree with your opinion that they are always easy to get to. I work Monday - Friday 9 - 6 on the outskirts of the city. The options is to spend lunchtime in a rat race getting to the PO or wait until Saturday.

Maybe have a look at some maps before replying. The N84 ends at the Kirwan roundabout.

I wouldn't agree with your opinion that they are always easy to get to. I work Monday - Friday 9 - 6 on the outskirts of the city. The options is to spend lunchtime in a rat race getting to the PO or wait until Saturday.

If youre employed then why do you need to go to the post office at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭zell12

:confused:
    Are post offices only for non-workers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Mrs OBumble seems to think they are only for people collecting Social Welfare and Pensions.
    Personally I go to the post office to buy stamps and to post parcels, mostly to nieces and nephews. And once a year to buy a dog licence. These can be bought online in some counties, but not in Galway.
    BTW Joyce's in Knocknacarra have a post counter. Would make sense to have them in other supermarkets too. Based on demand and catchment area obviously.

I have friends overseas and like to send them packages from time to time. Also sometimes I need to send registered mail.

I have role of stamps at home and use the post box near the Maldron hotel for any non-registered national post. I also have an An Post delivery box to try to avoid having to go to the depot on the Tuam Road. So I have tried to limit my need for one.

• Advertisement

N6/n84/ or Headford Rd to most people. Rather than waiting until a day you're off you think it's a wiser idea to open new post offices? If one was opened wouldn't it be open the same hours you work also, or do they open later, I assume all p.o's close around 5pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I have role of stamps at home and use the post box near the Maldron hotel for any non-registered national post. I also have an An Post delivery box to try to avoid having to go to the depot on the Tuam Road. So I have tried to limit my need for one.

These An Post boxes are good except that if you want to post a letter through it, you must first have the postman or woman ( haven't seen many postwomen around actually) deliver one.

N6/n84/ or Headford Rd to most people. Rather than waiting until a day you're off you think it's a wiser idea to open new post offices? If one was opened wouldn't it be open the same hours you work also, or do they open later, I assume all p.o's close around 5pm.

You didn't say the Headford road and I was specifically referring to the N6 as there are two lanes in either direction and is often choked up with traffic.

I work from home once a week.

Where did I demand a post office be opened? I asked a question as I found it odd that there is no PO out in this area given the number of residential areas. Is it not allowed to ask questions on here anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

What a bizarre statement !

Post Offices offer way more than just social welfare payments.

Not everyone wants to do/can do all their business on line or through the banks.

In the Post Office you can

Pay Bills
    Renew passports
    Get your TV licence
    Get your dog licences
    Do some banking with AIB and UB
    Make some investments in bonds and certs
    Buy insurance for home,car and other
    Collect mail
    Post mail ordinary,registered swift
    Buy stamps both ordinary and for collection
    Get mail held while your on holiday
    Get mail sent on to your new home
    Buy one for all vouchers

And theres plenty more that you can do in your local Post office, we offer a lot of services for a lot of people in our locality and are seen by many as an integral part of the community.

An ignorant statement if im being honest !

Shelflife wrote: »
    In the Post Office you can

And theres plenty more that you can do in your local Post office, we offer a lot of services for a lot of people in our locality and are seen by many as an integral part of the community!

Sure you *can*.

But the vast majority of people do all those things without going near a post office. And thats why new suburbs don't have 'em.

The only thing listed so far that's unique to the post office is sending registered letters.

You didn't say the Headford road and I was specifically referring to the N6 as there are two lanes in either direction and is often choked up with traffic.

I work from home once a week.

Where did I demand a post office be opened? I asked a question as I found it odd that there is no PO out in this area given the number of residential areas. Is it not allowed to ask questions on here anymore?
    Who said you demanded anything. You asked why there wasn't one, hardly a leap to assume you'd like if one was opened. And yes I'm fairly sure questions have been banned.

But the vast majority of people do all those things without going near a post office. And thats why new suburbs don't have 'em.

The only thing listed so far that's unique to the post office is sending registered letters.

Some people would prefer to make some social contact face to face. It may be an outlet for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

There's one on Prospect Hill and obviously then you've got the main one in Eglinton Street. I don't really see the need for more, in an area when they're shutting down PO's generally speaking.

There are post boxes in between also for more simple posting, for example in that area I know there's one at Terryland.

I live in that area too and it takes me 20 minutes to walk to the nearest PO (Prospect Hill), and if you get the bus, it's even less.

If anything I think you could probably easily argue that Knocknacarra side needs one more.

bobbyss wrote: »
    Some people would prefer to make some social contact face to face. It may be an outlet for them.

If going to the post-office is a social outlet for anyone, then the community needs to take a long hard look at itself and the facilities it is providing.

If going to the post-office is a social outlet for anyone, then the community needs to take a long hard look at itself and the facilities it is providing.

Particularly in rural areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Do you ever switch off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

A post office is a very social place in a (especially rural or isolated) community. People meet others in the queue, get the local news. There's generally a notice board with upcoming local events or tickets being sold for a local fundraiser... these then get discussed and lead to community participation. You'll often find cafes and small independent shops opening up around them.

There's one on Prospect Hill and obviously then you've got the main one in Eglinton Street. I don't really see the need for more, in an area when they're shutting down PO's generally speaking.

There are post boxes in between also for more simple posting, for example in that area I know there's one at Terryland.

I live in that area too and it takes me 20 minutes to walk to the nearest PO (Prospect Hill), and if you get the bus, it's even less.

If anything I think you could probably easily argue that Knocknacarra side needs one more.

When you say Terryland, you mean the one in beside Sweeney oil or are there others? Not being negative, just curious are there more out past that?

Was there ever one out in Menlo village? Just seems like a rural place that could have had one.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

When you say Terryland, you mean the one in beside Sweeney oil or are there others? Not being negative, just curious are there more out past that?

Was there ever one out in Menlo village? Just seems like a rural place that could have had one.

There was one outside the school but I'm not sure if its still there. I presume it is!

Advertisement