Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice places to eat?

• 24-01-2019 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Donutz

Heading to Galway for the weekend with the OH. Looking for recommendations for some decent places to eat. We'd pretty much eat any type of food apart from Indian.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Hi, it depends on if you want up market or just a decent good meal in nice surroundings. My family love High Cafe. It's on High Street, just a little door leading up into a staircase. The food is Mediterranean, falafel, then pasta, pizza, burgers, really nice. Service is not super fast but you can bring your own bottle or pints from The Bunch Of Grapes pub downstairs. Venice is another lovely place, pasta. It's on Abbeygate Street.Then there is Dela and Kai, more fancy. Maxwell's on the corner of Eglinton Street is always nice. A big, spacious, sometimes loud ( in the good chatty way) restaurant. Staff are always great. Another fantastic pub food place that also has a restaurant is Blake's, just down the road from Maxwell's. The food, service and Guinness here are top quality. All of these places are a stroll away from each other. Enjoy the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

And I just remembered McSwiggans. A pub in the Woodquay area. The menu here is huge and the food is also fabulous. Across the road from McSwiggans is Papa Rich, yum Asian Street Food. The fish cakes are amazing. God, I love my food!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭Laviski

lower end of scale but really good food for buck.
    chilli shack
    boojum

going higher
    papa rich ( all main meals 11 , asian cusine)
    Olso (food + craft beers)
    dough bros
    g-counter
    the huntsman
    Brasserie On The Corner
    Cactus Jack
    Tribeton

on the upper end of price range
    Kai
    loam
    anair

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Donutz

Thank you both for your suggestions. Gonna definately give some of them a try. We'll be fat as fools by Sunday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Murty Rabbits do great food

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭irish_major

Pasta factory is sensational and very cheap. Would highly recommend for a lunch!
    Kai for brunch is very hard to beat and also fairly reasonably priced for brunch!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I can't stress enough how great Petit Pois is. High end but not expensive or obnoxious. Recommend the 3 course with wine pairings. I almost don't want to tell people to keep them to ourselves. Menu changes monthly and there's always something good. I am in disbelief that I regularly see empty tables there. I would think they'd have a 3 week wait list. Time that the word gets out. Best kept secret in Galway.

http://lepetitpois.ie/menu-dishes/dinner/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Loads of good ones already:

Rouge for ambiance not super high end price wise
    Ard Bia for same (but go brunch as dinner is higher end)

Hooked is amazing for fish is really affordable and rustic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭Laviski

galway is spoilt for decent eateries

Laviski wrote: »
    lower end of scale but really good food for buck.
    chilli shack
    boojum

going higher
    papa rich ( all main meals 11 , asian cusine)
    Olso (food + craft beers)
    dough bros
    g-counter
    the huntsman
    Brasserie On The Corner
    Cactus Jack
    Tribeton

on the upper end of price range
    Kai
    loam
    anair

I ate in the Oslo about a year ago and it was awful. Had nachos with pulled pork. The pulled pork was in a tiny separate bowl with no sauce and was microwaved, old guac and stale nachos with a dusting of cheese.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Da Paulino for very nice Italian.

I ate in the Oslo about a year ago and it was awful.

They used to be really a "foodie" gastro-pub but I think some changeover happened around a year ago and the pulled beef and pork, in particular, tasted like pre-pack garbage. I remember the waitress (the wan with the 50's vibe) seemed embarrassed by the "new" menu.

With Papa Rich around the corner with a lovely view it's too attractive an alternative to see if Oslo have gotten their act back together. I hope they have, it's not that hard.

I can't think of anywhere in Salthill I'd go for good wings or a burger. I'd go to town for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

I like Anfora that new Turkish cafe place on Abbeygate street. Not sure what it would be like for a large group though.
    Also eat in Xi An on Quay street a lot, more Asian street food.

I was reading in last week's Advertiser an article on John Keogh's which said there was a function room for groups between 20-100. Been in there a couple times, maybe there's another floor or some hidden room I haven't noticed as it's a bit of a maze in there.

Also probably obvious and but I'm sure OP could be easily sorted by hotel restaurants like Park House Hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭theintern

I was reading in last week's Advertiser an article on John Keogh's which said there was a function room for groups between 20-100. Been in there a couple times, maybe there's another floor or some hidden room I haven't noticed as it's a bit of a maze in there.

Also probably obvious and but I'm sure OP could be easily sorted by hotel restaurants like Park House Hotel.

It's in the back, to the right as you go out towards the jacks. Often see small parties in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Donutz wrote: »
    Heading to Galway for the weekend with the OH. Looking for recommendations for some decent places to eat. We'd pretty much eat any type of food apart from Indian.

Any suggestions?

For the best bar food you'll find anywhere head to Caribou. Their burger is incredibly good and they have really good specials most of the time.

Be warned though, it's not fine dining, it's bar food. Burgers, fries, etc.

For the best bar food you'll find anywhere head to Caribou. Their burger is incredibly good and they have really good specials most of the time.

Be warned though, it's not fine dining, it's bar food. Burgers, fries, etc.

The burgers in Caribou used to be done by Handsome Burger. They're not working out of Caribou any more and have opened their own burger place on Dominic Street.

I have no idea if Caribou are doing their own burgers now, or how they are, but can definitely recommend Handsome on Dominic Street.

theintern wrote: »
    The burgers in Caribou used to be done by Handsome Burger. They're not working out of Caribou any more and have opened their own burger place on Dominic Street.

I have no idea if Caribou are doing their own burgers now, or how they are, but can definitely recommend Handsome on Dominic Street.

Caribou hired their own kitchen staff. The new chef is a classically trained chef with years of experience in high end restaurants and is putting out ridiculously good food for great value in Caribou now.

I liked handsome, I absolutely love the new stuff.

Caribou hired their own kitchen staff. The new chef is a classically trained chef with years of experience in high end restaurants and is putting out ridiculously good food for great value in Caribou now.

Nice one! Must get in there again and try it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

+1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Stevolende wrote: »
    Also eat in Xi An on Quay street a lot, more Asian street food.

Only been there a handful of times, but is only ok imo. Seating area upstairs is tiny, and was absolutely freezing the last time I was there beside that big fireplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

tototoe wrote: »
    Only been there a handful of times, but is only ok imo. Seating area upstairs is tiny, and was absolutely freezing the last time I was there beside that big fireplace.

Some of the more western dishes are just grand but their more authentic dishes are amazing. The cold upstairs is a problem, but tbh honest every time I have been in there it has been so packed it's warm from busyness!

inisboffin wrote: »
    Some of the more western dishes are just grand but their more authentic dishes are amazing. The cold upstairs is a problem, but tbh honest every time I have been in there it has been so packed it's warm from busyness!

Their hand pulled noodle soup is incredibly good. Perfect good day food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

Thought Xi An was not very good when I went TBH. Handsome Burger is brilliant though, some of best burgers I have ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 GALWAYGUY2019

best food in galway is scottys by far

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

best food in galway is scottys by far
    May as well close the thread after that, who knew.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭joeysoap

2 posts ben. :rolleyes:

Following this thread as an outsider who enjoys midweek breaks in galway.

FWIW we found brasserie on the corner terrific

And also a place called seven? Huge place and no doubt frequented by much younger than us but we found the food very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

Thai Garden on the Spanish Arch. I’ve never had a bad dish in there.
    Papa Rich is grand, I’ve tried it 3 times now (once in Newtownsmith where the menu differs from the Salthill one slightly) but honestly everything has too much coriander in it and overpowers the dish.
    Cactus Jacks is brilliant for fajitas.
    Il Foletto on Quay Street is a lovely Italian or La Collina in Salthill is even better. The fusilli vodka is amazing. Few G&Ts in O’Connors after.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Rouge

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

TBF the standard of restaurants in Galway is generally good. I can't really even think of anywhere someone would want to avoid.

Advertisement