Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland De-Facto Visa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Then I suggest that you contact INIS directly in relation to your situation.

She will be able to leave the country but no guarantee of re-entry to Ireland. Have you looked into how she can enter Denmark and visa requirements?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Seek an immigration lawyer. Why did she not renew her visa? That's wildly irresponsible and the state won't look favourably on her situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 buntyman123

Entering Denmark, she will be given a 90 day tourist Visa stamp. Do you know the penalty for overstaying a student Visa for so long?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Entering Denmark, she will be given a 90 day tourist Visa stamp. Do you know the penalty for overstaying a student Visa for so long?

Department of Justice don’t keep records of people leaving the country.

She could have left two years ago for all the Dept of Justice know.

Talk to an immigration lawyer before you do anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 fmt38

I have great news on our situation!! Our application to INIS has been successful. We received a letter yesterday from INIS....my partner who is Brazilian is getting his residence card which is valid for 5 years. After that he can then apply for a permanent residence card.

We are delighted that this is finally sorted after all the stress during the last 4 years! Getting advice from a great immigration lawyer, based in Dublin, definitely helped our case. Our application and all the information they requested was very well organised and detailed and I think this made a difference to our outcome.

I got in touch with GNIB on facebook and we have our appointment at INIS this Saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭mistersifter

hi all,

just wondering if anyone has any info about the renewal process for the De Facto visa?

We've had the de facto nearly a year now so just wondering what happens when we renew it?

Do they ask for documentation of any kind or further proof of relationship during the last year, or is it just a matter of going to the gardai and getting stamped?

thanks!

hi all,

just wondering if anyone has any info about the renewal process for the De Facto visa?

We've had the de facto nearly a year now so just wondering what happens when we renew it?

Do they ask for documentation of any kind or further proof of relationship during the last year, or is it just a matter of going to the gardai and getting stamped?

thanks!

We've renewed twice now and each time they only glanced at both our passports and were told "you can pop your card in there". We always bring updated documents with us, bank accounts, proof of address etc. but it has never been even looked at. My gf has to renew in June and we are hoping that they'll give us more than a year this time but we will see.

(Sorry, meant to say we renewed in the GNIB in Burgh Quay)

ElChe32 wrote: »
    My gf has to renew in June and we are hoping that they'll give us more than a year this time but we will see.

Are you basing this on anything or is just purely hope?

kmart6 wrote:
    Are you basing this on anything or is just purely hope?

Just gunna ask and see. It's at their discretion.

• Advertisement

Where are you getting that from? It is down as a year everywhere I have seen and been told by people I know who work in the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 marksyno

Hi,

I recently applied for the visa for my girlfriend and myself, we got a letter about providing further evidence (insurance & police clearance) which we will supply.

My question is does anyone know if my girlfriend has to be in Ireland for the duration of the application process? She was here on the date of the application but may not be by the time we provide the further evidence. Im a little worried about this.

Appreciate any replys!
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Hi guys looking for advice on de facto visa.

I'm an Irish citizen, my girlfriend of just over 3 years is Australian. We have proof of living together for 1 year, joint bank account, proof of being together 3 years (photos, flights etc. together over that period). I'm currently in Ire and her in Aus since March so we're apart (my visa ran out), I am returning to Aus from June - Aug on a holiday visa, from August onwards we are looking at living in Ireland for about 2 years, before moving back to Aus. We lived in Ireland together for 1 year previously in 2017 (she was on a working holiday visa).

Will she be eligible for a defacto visa? I've read in places that it requires 2 years of living together.
    Is it a difficult visa to get given my circumstance? (length of application, cost, likelihood of approval)
    Is it possible to apply with her not in Ireland?
    Would we be better off applying for civil partnership and going that route? I've looked into it but it's difficult to get info online on CP applications/visas. Unsure if this is even an option. Alternatively is there another visa she could avail of for 1-2 years.

Any advice for past experiences that could help would be greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 natshxchen

Hi all,

I have a quick question, my boyfriend (Irish citizen) and I have been together for two years and half now, and we are thinking to send our De Facto Visa when we gather all documentation we need. However, we havn't been living together for two years. It will be in September this year, and currently we are apart for nearly a month.

Just curious did anyone of you have your visa approved without living together for two years? Or we better wait till September to send out the application?

Any advise appreciated

^^

As far as I recall the rule when we applied was that you had to be 2 years living together when they received your application. So I would say wait until September.

However , it wouldnt hurt to email them to check this.

On another note; we got our Visa renewed for the first time this month. It was fine; we went and showed up to date bank statements and ID, paid 300 euro (ouch!) and were told to come back in a couple of weeks to collect the card. Wwe're not in DUblin so was just a case of making an appointment in local Garda station.

Wwe're not in DUblin so was just a case of making an appointment in local Garda station.

Is it not Garda District HQ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mountainwrites

kmart6 wrote: »
    Is it not Garda District HQ?

Registration depends on where you live. Outside of Dublin City or county, you register at your local Garda station. In Cork, for example, it's at the Anglesea Street Station, which unfortunately does not take appointments.

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/registration-offices

Didn't know that has changed to all stations. Would find it hard to believe each station could cover it off when I know the district HQs struggled to have staff with the required training for it previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭sheepondrugs

hi, my partner (now wife) has been on a de facto visa for the last 3 years. This is up for renewal again in August.
    however we got married in Ireland earlier this year.

Does anyone know if she can transfer straight to a spouses visa (we have GNIB appointment in august) or is there another process to go through?

Any help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Willoflood

hi, my girlfriend and i have been together since Jun 18 and been living together since Jan 19.

our problem is that we only started going out after she arrived here on her first student visa. with student visas only being for 8 months and only renewable twice, that means by apr '20 she will not be able apply for another student visa.

unfortunately, by the time her final student visa expires in april next year, we will be 8 months short of the 2 year living together requirement.

is there any way around this or are they hardline with the 2 years?

if we can't get the de facto visa, is there any other option open to her to stay in the country for 8 months until we are eligible for the 2 year requirement?

• Advertisement

AFAIK she would have to enroll in a university course to get another student visa. A one-year MA course somewhere? This would be costly obviously.

A big ask but you might also be eligible to apply if you move abroad with her for 8 months - somewhere you can both legally reside - and then demonstrate that you have 2 consecutive years living together.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Willoflood wrote: »
    hi, my girlfriend and i have been together since Jun 18 and been living together since Jan 19.

our problem is that we only started going out after she arrived here on her first student visa. with student visas only being for 8 months and only renewable twice, that means by apr '20 she will not be able apply for another student visa.

unfortunately, by the time her final student visa expires in april next year, we will be 8 months short of the 2 year living together requirement.

is there any way around this or are they hardline with the 2 years?

if we can't get the de facto visa, is there any other option open to her to stay in the country for 8 months until we are eligible for the 2 year requirement?

If she is enrolled in certain institutions and studying a level 8 qualification she can apply for a third level graduate programme from my understanding. Stamp 1G.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Willoflood

AFAIK she would have to enroll in a university course to get another student visa. A one-year MA course somewhere? This would be costly obviously.

A big ask but you might also be eligible to apply if you move abroad with her for 8 months - somewhere you can both legally reside - and then demonstrate that you have 2 consecutive years living together.

Thanks for the replies.

Just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation?

Would be open to moving to the EU (preferably UK for work reasons) and wondering how difficult it would be for her to stay in any of the EU countries (legally) for up to one year?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭LastStop

Does anyone know if the Irish national is married but separated and waiting for divorce can they apply for De-Facto for their new partner. Also is there any benefit to using a solicitor or is it money wasted? Anyone using a solicitor able to give an idea of cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 RMAH

Hi There!!
    Hoping anyone who has been through the initial steps of the Irish De Facto Visa is able to help :)

I am Australian and my partner is Irish, we moved to Dublin March 2019 from Australia. I am currently on a working holiday authorisation in which my work permit is due to end on the 28th of Feb. During our year here we have submitted a De Facto Visa application to INIS as of September.
    We read somewhere that it can take 6-12months to process - has anyone had there application processed by 6 months?

We had submitted a massive novel (1000 docs) of cohabitation, finances...even a copy of our Australian Registration of Relationship Certificate with the Australian Births, Deaths and Marriages dated back to 2017.

We are weighing up whether its worth trying to live off my Irish partners income for 6 months after my work permit ends whilst we wait to hear back from this visa or whether its more beneficial for myself to return to Aus and get a 2 year UK visa.
    We only wish to stay in Ireland for 2 or so years to be close to his family as his parents are elderly and unwell but the whole system seems really rigid and we aren't seeming to have much response from INIS.

Any feedback on processing times would be really appreciated :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

RMAH wrote: »
    We are weighing up whether its worth trying to live off my Irish partners income for 6 months after my work permit ends whilst we wait to hear back from this visa or whether its more beneficial for myself to return to Aus and get a 2 year UK visa.

Getting a two year visa for the UK would draw you intention to live with your partner in Ireland into question. It is very important to be consistent with these kinds of applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 natshxchen

RMAH wrote: »
    We read somewhere that it can take 6-12months to process - has anyone had there application processed by 6 months?

Hi, I sent my application around the same time as you (I posted it on 16/09/2019 and received a confirmation letter a few days later), and on 17/01/2020 I received a letter asked for up to date information like bank statements, private health insurance and utility bills.
    I posted what they asked for in a week or less, then I got the letter on 30/01/2020 saying I can stay in Ireland on a Stamp 4 conditions.

So it's been 4 months in my case, and I think you probabely get your visa soon considering we sent our applications around the same time.
    Hope my experience helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ROFY123

Hello,

Has anyone had trouble obtainong police certificate as garda are saying they can not issue for de facto visa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 leesacrow

Hi everyone.

I will be applying for the Defacto visa for my partner of 5 years. We have lived together for 3 years, however we are living in an Arab country where it is technically illegal, thus we have no proof such as tenancy contracts or joint bank accounts etc. Has anyone else been in this situation and did you get around it in any way?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement