Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Casual date night restaurant

• 31-01-2019 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

Hi! I'm looking for a recommendation for a casual restaurant suitable for date night.
    Ideally serves casual food such as burgers/pasta/pizza (ideally steak also!) but cosy enough for a couple - Good table service and individual tables is a must (no picnic benches etc :D).

At the moment I have a reservation for Gemelle's-But it's slightly out of my price range so would like something a bit more casual, or easy on the pocket.

Something similar to Kirby's maybe? (I've already been there, want to try something new. Have also already tried: High Cafe, Papa Rich, Asian Tea House/Budda Bar).

Any ideas? Something we could eat at around 8pm on a Friday. Good wine menu would also be a plus.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Hi! I'm looking for a recommendation for a casual restaurant suitable for date night. Ideally serves casual food such as burgers/pasta/pizza (ideally steak also!) but cosy enough for a couple - Good table service and individual tables is a must (no picnic benches etc ).

At the moment I have a reservation for Gemelle's-But it's slightly out of my price range so would like something a bit more casual, or easy on the pocket.

Something similar to Kirby's maybe? (I've already been there, want to try something new. Have also already tried: High Cafe, Papa Rich, Asian Tea House/Budda Bar).

Any ideas? Something we could eat at around 8pm on a Friday. Good wine menu would also be a plus.

My default recommendation is Park House but it may not be suitable for your criteria.

You certainly seem to have given this thing plenty of thought so best of luck in finding a place and I hope the night is a resounding success.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,667 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Front Door.

Da Paulinos.

56 Central.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭irish_major

Hi! I'm looking for a recommendation for a casual restaurant suitable for date night.
    Ideally serves casual food such as burgers/pasta/pizza (ideally steak also!) but cosy enough for a couple - Good table service and individual tables is a must (no picnic benches etc :D).

Pasta factory! It's limiting but if you both like pasta, you won't get better and the house wine is delicious. Very easy on the pocket!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maybe the early bird at Cactus Jacks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Salthill has a couple of good spots, Da Robertas or Oslo is a more casual option. The Twelve in Barna another one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

+1 Da Robertas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Mona Lisa down "the West".

Closer to authentic Italian (actually Sardinian) than the other Italians mentioned here and very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Mona Lisa down "the West".

Closer to authentic Italian (actually Sardinian) than the other Italians mentioned here and very reasonable.

They're great and the portions are huge. The "tapas" portion is usually more than enough food, but OP might look like a cheapskate trying to get their date to pick that over the large :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Thai Garden is my absolute favourite, as is Asian Tea House. If you can venture out as far as Oranmore then Santoor is literally the most amazing Indian restaurant I’ve ever been to. They’re very generous with the wine too :pac:

Burgerstory do amazing burgers but the place is a bit cramped. De Robertas is def the best Italian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

biko wrote: »
    Maybe the early bird at Cactus Jacks

Would not recommend for a date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Then recommend a better place in your opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

La Collina in Salthill is a lovely Italian restaurant, miles better than Da Robertas in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    La Collina in Salthill is a lovely Italian restaurant, miles better than Da Robertas in my opinion.

Agreed, Da Robertas is more Irish Italian.

La Collina is Italian.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

+1000 but don't tell people!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Interesting how a date night recommendation ends on Italian. I think an interesting debate would be to take the food aside (to some extent, not so much that it's awful and kills the night) is the restaurant's atmosphere. Sticking with the Italian theme you'd have IL Vicolo as one of the best date night romantic atmospheres in Galway.

Although they've fallen from grace in food quality, I also always liked the atmosphere in Rogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Da Robertas is lovely, so is la collina next to it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Interesting how a date night recommendation ends on Italian. I think an interesting debate would be to take the food aside (to some extent, not so much that it's awful and kills the night) is the restaurant's atmosphere. Sticking with the Italian theme you'd have IL Vicolo as one of the best date night romantic atmospheres in Galway.

Although they've fallen from grace in food quality, I also always liked the atmosphere in Rogue.

Il Vicolo is not cheap though.

Rouge's quality cant have fallen too far given they only do 3 mains. Rouge is a good option is terms of atmosphere and price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I've been to La Collina a couple of times (upstairs), although the food is more authentic than Da Robertas I felt like I was eating in someone's converted bedroom. Much preferred the more relaxed atmosphere in Da Robertas.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

J o e wrote: »
    I've been to La Collina a couple of times (upstairs), although the food is more authentic than Da Robertas I felt like I was eating in someone's converted bedroom. Much preferred the more relaxed atmosphere in Da Robertas.

I didn’t know there’s an upstairs

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Quay street kitchen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Larry58

Capones in Knocknacarra
    is pretty good

Advertisement