Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Grading Star Trek - Where it was, what it is, where its going, opinions!

• 28-01-2019 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭

I haven't posted on Star Trek in a long time but, i have been having various chats with mates who are fans - In relation to Discovery, the previous series from the 90s and early naughties, and the films. So i thought i would kick off something and see what people think on boards. I know there is a General Thread and perhaps the mods will feel this belongs there but anyway, bare with me and i welcome your thoughts.

SO! Many people dislike Discovery.. for various reasons. It looks too JJ-Trek.. Uniforms, Holograms, The Spore Drive, plot holes etc. As a hard core trekkie i can completely sympathize with this general issue - I was one of THOSE fans who 'lost the plot' when Vulcan was destroyed in JJ-Trek 1, on the basis that, in my opinion it ruins the franchise history.

Leaving all that aside, what do i enjoy when watching Old Trek and how does it rate when compared to New Trek(s).. Its was 14 years since ENT was cancelled so, thats a long wait.

My Opinion: Leave TOS aside, its a classic, and while it has some silly episodes, it will always be amazing to watch. TNG kicked off the ball and despite early episodes lagging a bit, it became an epic. Yesterdays Enterprise is a personal Favorite and it took off in a big way from that point.. DS9 comes along, and straight away, i liked it - exciting, political, major issues, the Dominion, and great characters.

In my mind, Voyager was decidedly dull for a long time, and really only became SEMI-DECENT midway through the series as a whole, before becoming relatively dull again toward the end. Sadly Enterprise continued the trend, and is thus far the only Trek TV show, that i actually stopped watching - from rushing home to watch all of the others, i basically forgot about enterprise, and in my opinion despite a few stand out episodes, it was overall a bad show. i wasnt surprised it was cancelled. SAD, yes, but not shocked.

Long gap and we are presented with JJ Trek - which in my mind, was not actually Star Trek. Seen each movie once, didnt bother with the DVDs, and thats saying something for someone who has all the other shows on VHS, DVD, and some Blu Ray.

So Discovery. There are parts of it i dislike. it is not classic trek, thats clear. And there is a fair share of plot holes that have yet to be explained. However it is watchable, and unlike Enterprise i am ENGAGED with it (pardon the pun). I want to see what happens next. Is it possible it will become even less like classic trek? Yes.. However its also possible that it will come together, and the plot holes will be answered, and everyone will breath a sigh of relief.

Outside the Trek Universe, How does it compare to its ancestors? In my mind TNG/DS9 will never be surpassed. But so far, again in my opinion, im more enthusiastic about Discovery than i was with Voyager, at this point in the series run. And apologies to Enterprise Fans, but i find it hard to watch said series without skipping most of season 1, 2 and a lot of season 3.. As for comparing Discovery to JJ Trek.. my only appearances on boards during the JJ Era was me behaving like the typical Nerdy Trekkie, and shouting about how TERRIBLE i felt each film was.

So i would like to see if anyone else cares to discuss the evolution of trek, and where we are right now.. and perhaps what trajectory we are on?? in my mind the trajectory of trek in general started to turn downward with the last seasons of Voyager, nose dived with Enterprise, before crashing entirely with JJ Trek.

Love to know peoples Thoughts.. as always, LLAP

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

More Trek = Good

Less Trek = Bad

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I started out watching TNG and remember as a kid being in awe at it all and not quite understanding everything as well as asking lots of questions. Then DS9 came along and it took a little while to get used to at first but I was enjoying it too and think it is still very relevant today. It was one of the first shows on TV too have a continues storyline too.

I started watching The Original Series in between that and love it.

I love all The Original Series movies and the TNG ones too. I think the JJ Movies were only made to get a quick buck and it was very short sighted of Paramount and I rate ''Into Darkness'' as the worst and most unoriginal Trek movie ever. Its a shame as it could have been brilliant. I do not mind Star Trek Beyond and think the movies were starting to go in the right direction with it but think it looks like its going to be some time now before we see more Star Trek on the silver screen.

When Voyager came along I enjoyed that too but there is no doubt some of the stories were not great and the acting was not up to the standard of DS9 but I still enjoyed being out in another part of the Galaxy with no idea of what kind of aliens the crew would encounter next. The ending was a bit of a letdown but not nearly as bad as poor Enterprise. I do think Enterprise has some great episodes but have said before that the acting could have been better instead of being so dull namely I never liked how Archer was portrayed. We get a version of the Archer we should have got in some season 4 episodes. I did think it was a mistake at the time do to go back in time instead of forward but I think it has aged well and prefer the look of the NX Enterprise to most of the ships in Discovery. I do think the Discovery could grow on me do if they stop making up silly new thinks like the pods they had in the season 2 first episode.

I did not like most of the first season of Discovery and find most of it unwatchable a second time except for the mirror universe episodes. I did not like the Taller of Voq storylines or characters at all. I did and do not like the Spore drive. I did like the design of Discovery either and thought a show on the Schnzou would have been much better. I did like it a bit better but not where the bridge was on it. Some of the ships looked ok and some I do not like. The fake Klingons done nothing for me and are hard to watch. There ships are terrible too nothing like any classic Klingon ships. I would give the whole of season one 4 maybe 5 stars out of 10.

The second season so far seems better. I was not really keen on the first episode but the second one was a lot better and I am hopeful it might yet turn into a good show maybe even a Star Trek show.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

IMHO the problem with trek has been the increasing lack of innovation.
    Science fiction is all about ideas - new concepts that stretch your mind.
    - TOS was extremely innovative for its time - a (mostly) adult hard SF show - there was nothing else like it.
    It is often forgotten that there was no trek TV show for twenty long years after TOS!
    - So after 20 years TNG appeared - yes the first few seasons were very ropy while they figured out how to make trek TV again 20 years later.
    But IMHO they (mostly) successfully built on the foundations of TOS and moved the whole thing forward in an entertaining way that expanded the trek universe and occasionally challenged the viewer (mens skirts etc :D )
    - Next with DS9 they tried to be innovative by having it on a station rather than a ship, included religious elements etc - with mixed results
    - The rot began to set in with Voyager - very little innovation - uninteresting characters - stupid marooned plot that would have been resolved in one episode in TOS or TNG :eek:
    - IMHO Trek reached its lowest point with so-called Enterprise - totally formulaic - not innovative at all - what was the point?
    Which brings us on to Discovery - another prequel? already with the Enterprise and soon to be Spock? Mish-mash of a plot in Season 1? Magic mushroom drive? - well, that last one is at least innovative even if it is ridiculous :D
    I do think they have been genuinely innovative with its production values, visual impact and multi-ep stories. I think time will tell if it is any good or not.

So where am I going with this? Well, I really love trek, but I wonder if it is really a good idea to try to keep producing the same TV for 50 years (minus 20 year gap). Isn't it time to put Trek to rest and get on with making interesting, new sci-fi TV shows?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I think I'm unusual in that I got into Trek by watching it in chronological order, ie I watched TOS first, when I was a kid in the 90s.

Then TNG, then DS9, and Voyager (and the films as they came out).

I can't put my finger on what was similar about TOS and TNG but for two such different shows there is a certain, hard-to-define "feeling" or tone that permeates both series'. Perhaps it was the influence of Rodenberry, who knows, but for me that feeling is what makes a show "Star Trek".

DS9 was massively underrated in my opinion and while taking things in a very different direction, it still felt like Trek to me.

I regularly watch episodes from TOS/TNG/DS9 nowadays, still love them.

For me Voyager is when it started to go tits-up. I don't think I have ever rewatched a single one after the first viewing.

Enterprise was a disaster. I lasted two years I think before chucking it.

I've said this before but for me, personally, the JJ movies and Discovery don't really exist (similar to the Star Wars prequels). I tried them but whatever the indefinable thing that makes a show or a film "Star Trek" is just not there.

Personally, I think the best thing to come out for years has been Star Trek Continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

JayRoc wrote: »
    I think I'm unusual in that I got into Trek by watching it in chronological order, ie I watched TOS first, when I was a kid in the 90s.

I was kinda the same. I would have seen the films first, then a decent amount of the TOS episodes. I was young but I do remember TNG being released and very much comparing it to the Kirk and crew films I knew and loved.
    I can't put my finger on what was similar about TOS and TNG but for two such different shows there is a certain, hard-to-define "feeling" or tone that permeates both series'. Perhaps it was the influence of Rodenberry, who knows, but for me that feeling is what makes a show "Star Trek".

DS9 was massively underrated in my opinion and while taking things in a very different direction, it still felt like Trek to me.

Agreed. I don't think DS9 really had that same hard-to-define 'feeling' as TOS or TNG. It's a good show but it's not a guaranteed smile on my face kinda thing.

I think that's probably down to the crew. TOS and TNG felt like a loving family. The dynamic of the crew on DS9 meant there was always more conflict among them. They weren't all Starfleet, for one thing, and they didn't all get along all the time. Voyager the same, with half the crew being maquis, and Discovery (season one) with all sorts of character twists and turns.

I'd say that is largely due to Roddenberry alright. Famous for not wanting conflict among the crew. Makes life difficult for the writers but I dunno, I kinda liked it.

If I need to rate the various series, I don't think I'd change TOS (including the movies) or TNG at all. They're the happy place. Infinitely watchable.

DS9 – it's a good show, even great at times, just not really what I think of when I want that Star Trek fix.

Voyager – a swing and a miss. Waste of potential and I really couldn't be bothered with it.

Enterprise – just a bit boring to be honest. You could feel the creative team had run out of ideas.

Discovery – it's not TOS or TNG, it's not perfect, but I do like it. Great to have Trek back on the telly and easily, at least, the best they've done since DS9.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,661 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Which brings us on to Discovery - another prequel? already with the Enterprise and soon to be Spock? Mish-mash of a plot in Season 1? Magic mushroom drive? - well, that last one is at least innovative even if it is ridiculous :D
    I do think they have been genuinely innovative with its production values, visual impact and multi-ep stories. I think time will tell if it is any good or not.

Can't even credit them with the Spore Drive by all accounts as the lawsuit against them claims (ripped it and a lot of the key characters from a indie game called Tardigrades). The multi-ep stories DS9 did before them so they can't even claim that as new.

But I digress/will come back to that later...

I can't actually remember if I watched TNG or TOS first (but it was around the same time) and agree completely that it's in S3 that TNG comes into it's own. TOS had some great episodes in all seasons (Mirror, Mirror, The Doomsday Machine, Balance of Terror to name a few), but both were great shows.. hopeful, optimistic and generally a great hour of entertainment every week.

DS9 (after another ropey first season aside from the pilot and the 3-part Bajoran coup episodes) grabbed me with the introduction of the Dominion (when the Jem Hadar destroy the Odyssey it's like "we aren't screwing around here!") and Gul Dukat is probably the best Trek villain ever and the fact that pretty much all the secondary cast had fleshed-out characters was a great achievement IMO.

Voyager I didn't mind to be honest... again, it wasn't great but there were good early episodes (the 2-parter where they go back to 90s San Fran for example). The introduction of Seven and (some of) the Borg stories is where it started to come into its own (the 2-parter backstory on Seven's parents for example). I didn't mind the finalé except that they should have had the beginning at the end :)

Enterprise I mostly passed on. The Temporal Cold War held promise but I don't think they knew what to do with it so it limped along. We did get a decent Borg episode, and the Xindi arc in S3 had its moments, as did S4 but overall a very poor end to the run of regular Trek on TV (I won't even mention the abomination that was the finalé)

Alongside that we had the original TOS movies (It's a toss as to whether I prefer WoK or TSFS) but the TNG run wasn't great and just got worse (FC aside).

Then we got Wars Trek, AKA the JJ movies. Now to be fair, on repeat viewing the first wasn't actually too bad in some ways, but the other 2 were just awful.

Which brings us back to Discovery. Not having learned from ENT, we're back in prequel land again with a largely unlikable or anonymous cast (Lorca aside - don't rate Michelle Yeoh at all folks!), massive disconnect between what came before (production wise) and what Discovery introduced, and like the JJ movies, again too reliant on 'splosions and expensive CGI to carry each show.
    S2 with Pike is off to a better start, but it remains to be seen if it'll be enough (several on YouTube seems to think that it's already been cancelled).

Then we have the Orville (because it's often compared to Trek after all) and yes, it's the spiritual successor to TNG/VOY in my opinion. As it's progressed they've toned down the stupid jokes and focused more on the story and it's been a significant improvement to what was already a much more engaging show (IMO) than Discovery. Put it this way... Friday is when I watch both and I always look forward to this more than "official" Trek.

I'm not at all interested in a comedy animated show, a Georgiou spin-off, and the Picard series worries me given the tone and approach to the more recent films/TV. I think if they screw that one up the backlash will be worse than anything so far. Picard is iconic (at least as much as Kirk IMO) and probably the Captain that most current fans grew up with. If they reboot him as they have with Kirk and co, and Spock v3 in Discovery, it could spell the end of Trek for another decade or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭liamtech

Its interesting to see peoples perspective on the trend, and the past of Star Trek, and how it compares - there seems a consensus that TNG was the business after season 3 - while i agree that DS9 was a very different show, i have to say if im going for a binge watch i love going back to DS9 - particularly the Dominion War, Dukat in charge of Terok Nor again - Weyoun - fantastically watcheable

In relation to Voyager some like it, some tollerate it, and some like me could be said to have continued watching out of sheer blind faith -

And yes enterprise was aweful - i didnt like the premise of a prequel - always thought if you were gonna do a different Era of star trek you should have jumped ahead a hundred years again - maybe have star fleet exploring the andromeda galaxy by way of a new Trans-Warp slipstream drive or something -

But we got Enterprise - :confused: - boring show - i couldnt understand how the writers didnt realise how terrible some episodes were - season 4 was better but by then it had been destroyed - i only watched season 4 after i heard it had been cancelled

What im getting at is the idea that Discovery is not as good as TNG or DS9 - no way - but it is more interesting than voyager - honestly voyager season 1 and 2 were shocking in my mind - 'will they get home this week' story lines were aweful - and Janeway was insufferable - the utter arrogance of that lady was sometimes unbearable - terrible Enemies - the KAZON - ugh -

And Neelix - from the outset i hated him - sorry, i know it sounds HARSH but i kept praying they would kill him off - and treks response was to get rid of Neelixes Hot Girlfriend - nice - way to go

So for me Discovery is better than Voyager - and DEFINITELY better than enterprise

Wont even mention JJ TREK at this stage

I think Trek is on the UP at the moment - it went downhill with Voyager before flatlining with ent - now we discovery - maybe a section 31 show AND PICARD! - i feel its on the up

So where am I going with this? Well, I really love trek, but I wonder if it is really a good idea to try to keep producing the same TV for 50 years (minus 20 year gap). Isn't it time to put Trek to rest and get on with making interesting, new sci-fi TV shows?

This is a good point that should be discussed - I love trek and im glad its back but yea - rebooting - rehashing - sequels, prequels - its a common trend in TV and Movies -

Look at the Dark Knight Trilogy of Batman - very popular, and while i always have a soft spot for Jack Nicolson and Keaton from when i was a kid - Christopher Nolan made Batman ASTONISHINGLY Dark, and gritty - where am i going with this? Well before the last of the trilogy was EVEN RELEASED they had announced a reboot with Ben Affleck.. :rolleyes::confused::pac::eek: - thats what they do nowadays - look at spiderman? same thing - reboot, reboot, reboot

While i acknowledge im Pro Discovery, there is something to be said for entirely New Shows - originality whether shows are based on books, or simply created for TV

For me Discovery is not as good as some of the other shows that are on atm - To name but a few

The Man in the High Castle - Epic in my mind

The Expanse - look im basically addicted and im reading the books now so i dont want to spoil anything - all i can say is WOW

Alterred Carbon - loved it and delighted its renewed

Travelers - This is PROPER TIME TRAVEL SCI FI

Counterpart - Honestly cant say enough about it and season 2 has me Salavating for each next episode

SO yea there is an argument for giving these new trek a chance - and if it turns downhill, then just resign it to history

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

Advertisement