Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What to buy? 30ish year old cabrio

• 27-01-2019 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Hi

I’ve had plans for a while to buy something fun. I’ve changed my mind several times but I’m beginning to get my requirements clearer.
    Would love a Spitfire but I really don’t want to spend all my weekends under a bonnet and I need a bit more space which does away with the default MX-5 choice.
    Specifically, I need a boot big enough to take a folding Brompton bike or a decent bit of luggage. Rear seats would be useful not so much for passengers but just for a bit of extra space.
    I thought of a Merc 320 but I’d prefer a sportier drive.
    At the moment I’m leaning heavily towards either an E30 or E36 3 Series, 325 or 328. With the E36 I’d have to pay a bit of road tax until it turns 30 but I could live with that. Equally, I could get an M3 for not much more money but I don’t need the extra complication.
    My feeling is that values of E30s seem quite high and there’s better value with E36 cars.
    I like the elegance of the E30 but I had an E36 saloon in period and really like the model.
    I’d be looking for a manual gearbox whatever I buy.
    So thoughts, suggestions, advice greatly appreciated.
    Are the Nicasil/Vanos issues with the E36 anything to worry about? How are they for rust/general reliability and would you go to UK or try to source something in Ireland?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,365 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Saab 900?

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Saab 900?

Not mad about them. I know it'd tick the practicality box but it just doesn't float my boat.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Audi Cabrio?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

W126 SEC , doesnt get cooler than that.

SECGutachter3.jpg

Audi Cabrio?

Think the cabrio didn’t come out on the 80 till the early 90s. Very elegant car IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Think the cabrio didn’t come out on the 80 till the early 90s. Very elegant car IMO.

Same timeframe as the E36. Not as nice to drive but arguably classier (from someone who had an E36)

Definitely classy and nearly bought a saloon 80 in early 90s. Wouldn’t be the sportiest although a V6 might be tasty.

W126 SEC , doesnt get cooler than that.

SECGutachter3.jpg

Very nice but a bit bigger than I want. Looking for something sporty rather than Luxobarge. Thanks anyway.

Very nice but a bit bigger than I want. Looking for something sporty rather than Luxobarge. Thanks anyway.

photos are a little deceiving, theyre roughly the same size as an e36 so in that league.

Are they not around 2ft longer? Coupe is anyway.

• Advertisement

photos are a little deceiving, theyre roughly the same size as an e36 so in that league.

Worth a look so. Definitely a classy looking car.
    I presume most of them are autos though and I think that car has the stupid Merc foot parking brake that makes using a manual box difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭w124man

I've just bought a Mercedes R129 SL320, a bit off the 30 year thing but I got it for a snip, its in perfect nick and fully loaded. The VRT will be a couple of grand but I will still have a cheap car and its as cool as they come. Also don't forget that cars from the UK MIGHT be getting more expensive soon and I reckon my 320SL will hold its value for a while before going up in value.

Are they not around 2ft longer? Coupe is anyway.

its not that big an odds on it, ive seen one parked beside an e46 coupe before and there was a bit in it but nowhere near 2ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

golf gti cabrio ?

306 is too new but an XR3i cabrio or Strada ( Ritmo ) might do it for you too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

how deep are your pockets ?

RobAMerc wrote: »
    how deep are your pockets ?

Gorgeous. Maybe not sporty but a beautiful Pininfarina design. DS decapotable would be nice too. Probably even rarer.

RobAMerc wrote: »
    golf gti cabrio ?

306 is too new but an XR3i cabrio or Strada ( Ritmo ) might do it for you too

XR3 just wouldn't appeal. GTi better, but maybe a bit dull.

Love the look of the Ritmo (Strada) but I'd be iffy about build quality. A friend had a nice black one in the early 80s. It was a good looking car alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Jaguar XK8 convertible? Even with an early one, you'd have to pay max tax for a good few years until it turns 30, but the benefit is they are extremely cheap to buy now at the bottom of their market. They can only go up in value as they become older and proper classic.

Porsche 996 cabrio? Again about at the bottom of their market now. Will be worth 2 or 3 times what you are paying now in about 10 years time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Was there a budget mentioned?

LOL yeah, we might be losing the run of ourselves here. A decent E30 cabrio would be the guts of €8k at this stage? And that being too much for the OP, I think it's safe to say he wants to keep it to maybe €5k-€8k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

unkel wrote: »
    LOL yeah, we might be losing the run of ourselves here. A decent E30 cabrio would be the guts of €8k at this stage? And that being too much for the OP, I think it's safe to say he wants to keep it to maybe €5k-€8k

€8k ? I sold my E30 cab for £8,000 sterling four years ago. They are making silly money at the moment.

€8k ? I sold my E30 cab for £8,000 sterling four years ago. They are making silly money at the moment.

I can see decent E30s are around £10k and E36 maybe half that. The E36 would still have 5-6 years of tax to pay at around €700 for a half year. I’m ok with either option.
    You can buy E46 cabrios for peanuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Porsche 996 cabrio? Again about at the bottom of their market now. Will be worth 2 or 3 times what you are paying now in about 10 years time.

Lolz - I'm going quote that back to you in 10 years time - 'Unkel said it would be worth a fortune' :D:D:D:D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

You'd get a lovely Boxster for that money. Or a good MX-5.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    You'd get a lovely Boxster for that money. Or a good MX-5.

Too small for his needs. That's why I recommended the 2+2 996 instead

Another choice, bigger than those two but also a bit on the small side: Alfa GTV spider. Drove a red Busso 3l V6 around Italian mountain roads with the roof down and it was a glorious experience :cool:

Too small for his needs. That's why I recommended the 2+2 996 instead

Another choice, bigger than those two but also a bit on the small side: Alfa GTV spider. Drove a red Busso 3l V6 around Italian mountain roads with the roof down and it was a glorious experience :cool:

Yep, the MX-5 is too small. 996 would be nice. More expensive I'd say but I'll have a look.
    I like the idea of the Alfa but I think that's only a two seater isn't it? I know a friend who has one from around 1990 and he's mad to get rid as he doesn't have the space.
    Expanding my search now to E46 cabrios. A nice 325 ticks lots of boxes. Maybe not quite a classic but I presume I could get classic insurance on a 2001 for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭turbocab

Yep, the MX-5 is too small. 996 would be nice. More expensive I'd say but I'll have a look.
    I like the idea of the Alfa but I think that's only a two seater isn't it? I know a friend who has one from around 1990 and he's mad to get rid as he doesn't have the space.
    Expanding my search now to E46 cabrios. A nice 325 ticks lots of boxes. Maybe not quite a classic but I presume I could get classic insurance on a 2001 for example.

maybe a Porsche 944 s2 cab might fit the bill lot cheaper than a 996

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭scannerd

will be back up for sale once weather is better.....

https://www.adverts.ie/vehicles/1988-bmw-3-series-e30/16134562

Has a wee shelf, good for a weekend bag or two. Much more space than MX-5 or Boxster

Can't go far wrong with E46 cabrio. Cheap as chips. Get a good one. Will be classic and will appreciate in time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭RR3.5

Go the whole hog jaguar xjs v12

Advertisement