Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Importing spirits to order

Options
  • 15-09-2018 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I came across a brand of rum that I really like while abroad. I haven't been able to find any place in Ireland that sells it, and the online stores that carry it don't deliver to Ireland. Can anyone tell me if they know of an importer/distributor that will import to order? I'm happy to buy in bulk if needs be.

Btw - this is what I'm looking to get my hands on.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

le_dazzler wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I came across a brand of rum that I really like while abroad. I haven't been able to find any place in Ireland that sells it, and the online stores that carry it don't deliver to Ireland. Can anyone tell me if they know of an importer/distributor that will import to order? I'm happy to buy in bulk if needs be.

Btw - this is what I'm looking to get my hands on.

Thanks!

Celtic whiskey shop would be your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

You can buy online here from a German website, I presume they use DHL for courier and shipping. https://www.weinquelle.com/cgi-bin/suche/suche.pl?language=e&beding=Ron+Centenario+20+a%C3%B1os+Fundaci%C3%B3n

Edit: Sorry just clicked on shipping and it said no delivery abroad.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Please be aware that the importation of spirits into Ireland, without a licence, is illegal. That applies to all carriers - DHL, Parcel Motel etc

Please be aware that the importation of spirits into Ireland, without a licence, is illegal. That applies to all carriers - DHL, Parcel Motel etc

I've always wondered about this, as I don't think the above is correct (open to correction, though). I bought alcohol online last year and had an email exchange with Revenue when it was seized and, ultimately, released without charge.

I asked Revenue: "If I wanted to go about importing alcohol products in future, how do I go about it legally?"

The verbatim response was:
    As for further importations, you would need to get an agent to declare this on an AAD document or you could do this yourself.

So it seems you can do it legally, once you follow protocol. The Revenue website refers to Alcohol Products Tax, and specifically mentions if you want to import alcohol for personal use...though the rates are ridiculous...a whiskey @ 40% ABV would cost €17 per 70cl bottle to import.

Has anyone ever done this? Or, alternatively, has anybody ever set themselves up as a legit importer of beer/spirits/wine for personal use?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Setting yourself up as an importer will require an excise licence at 250 a year minimum - actually probably a lot more, and legal fees

After extensive posting on here before the concensus is that personal importation without a licence from inside the Customs Union is impossible and from outside it requires payment of all charges and likely an argument with Revenue.

Additionally most posts are about using specific evasion measures (freight forwarders) that also specifically bar alcohol or all liquids anyway

Booze cruise is easier and more fun really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,532 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I've always wondered about this, as I don't think the above is correct (open to correction, though). I bought alcohol online last year and had an email exchange with Revenue when it was seized and, ultimately, released without charge.

I asked Revenue: "If I wanted to go about importing alcohol products in future, how do I go about it legally?"

The verbatim response was:

So it seems you can do it legally, once you follow protocol. The Revenue website refers to Alcohol Products Tax, and specifically mentions if you want to import alcohol for personal use...though the rates are ridiculous...a whiskey @ 40% ABV would cost €17 per 70cl bottle to import.

Has anyone ever done this? Or, alternatively, has anybody ever set themselves up as a legit importer of beer/spirits/wine for personal use?

If buying from a retailer elsewhere in the EU, they can send here, but they must be registered with Revenue, and pay the duty and VAT in advance, the documentation to which effect should accompany the package. To my knowledge, no such retailer is in fact registered with Revenue. I am not....shall we say "wholly unfamiliar"..... with importation from retailers and always approach with the view that if it gets seized, it gets seized - tough. I do think that the more people stick their head over the parapet by contacting Revenue, couriers or retailers to moan, the greater the likelihood of such shipments being stopped permanently - which has happened in several instances.

Advertisement