Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Big in the belly

• 30-01-2019 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

Hi folks. Always have had a big belly despite all the exercise. What best two exercises will help me take it down. Thanks. Jim.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

you can't reduce fat in one area like that

The main way to reduce weight is to improve your diet. Cut out the crap, eat real food, watch your portion sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I'm the same; skinny all over but if I look at a curry and a pint - boom - instant belly...
    People deposit fat in different areas; some have big butts, bellies or thighs. Just as you can't choose where to put excess fat, you can't choose where to lose it either.

So no exercise will target belly fat alone. Working on your core and posture can help your frame carry that weight better. This means that when you do lose the belly fat the visible effect is more pronounced.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Coolaboy

Thanks for the replies folks. Still none the wiser ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Coolaboy wrote: »

It is simple... eat fewer calories than you burn and the fat will reduce. No specific exercise will target stomach fat (in reality you most like have fat all over but your belly is just the most obvious).

People over estimate how many calories are burned through exercise and underestimate how many calories they are eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

it doesnt sound like you're too keen on hearing the answer ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Step 1 is diet, step 2 is diet and step 3 is diet.
    Have a listen to this from about 2/3rds in: https://www.newstalk.com/listen_back/23/50885/26th_January_2019_-_Down_To_Business_Part_1/

It is Joe Wicks, but it is a very balanced interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,562 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Reduce your intake of food and liquids (together with a good varied/balanced diet) and bed early....

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

Hi folks. Always have had a big belly despite all the exercise. What best two exercises will help me take it down. Thanks. Jim.

If you give a bit more information i think people will give better answers,

What type of Exercising do you do?
    How often do you exercise?
    What is you diet like?
    Do you drink pints every night?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 backofthepack

Lots of plank and core work (sit ups, ab exercises etc) will help strengthen you back and stomach and will tone the area, in conjunction with cardio etc.
    Lots of water and less alcohol and fizzy drinks will reduce bloating.
    I have a stubborn belly from two kids that will never go away so i use spanx ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

You need to strengthen the muscles to pull it in. Normal plank, side plank, Russian Twists, Squats etc. once or twice a week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

You really can not out train a poor diet.

Granted there are people out there who are like a furnace and never get fat, but that's not the majority of us.

That said running is fantastic for burning calories, but you really need to watch your diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 surmise

The body simply cannot access fat stores for fuel if insulin levels remain high i.e. by eating too many carbohydrates and by eating too often

If insulin remains high then a 30% reduction in calorie intake is quickly followed by a 30% reduction in the Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) - this is a survival mechanism

Meaning that despite lacking energy and feeling hungry, initial weight loss will quickly plateau

By eating infrequently, cutting out snacks and lowering overall carb intake you gradually become more sensitive to insulin. With the body producing less insulin less often, you'll burn more fat - which should allow sustainable weight loss without the same lethargy/hunger

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Coolaboy wrote:

Coolaboy wrote:

You can exercise all you wish, but the facts are (and no disrespect) you are eating excessively and therefore overweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭py

You really can not out train a poor diet.

This * 100. Believe me I tried, it just does not work. It's about what/when and how much you eat as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,562 ✭✭✭✭walshb

py wrote: »
    This * 100. Believe me I tried, it just does not work. It's about what/when and how much you eat as well.

But a "poor diet" needs to be debated and explained....

It's as much about the quantity that you are ingesting as the actual content....

Quantity is what can really put on, and keep on the lbs....the poster needs to find out how much and how often he is eating and drinking....

If he finds out it's "too much," he then needs to curb this and eat and drink less; this may see the lbs come off in the areas he wants it to come off. It's very simple this way.

There's so many bloody diets and foods out there, how can we agree what is poor and what is not so poor, and what is decent, and what is good, and what is very good, and what is excellent?

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭pc11

Fork put downs. High reps. Every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Step 1 is diet, step 2 is diet and step 3 is diet.
    Have a listen to this from about 2/3rds in: https://www.newstalk.com/listen_back/23/50885/26th_January_2019_-_Down_To_Business_Part_1/

It is Joe Wicks, but it is a very balanced interview.

Off topic, but someone described him as an attempt to clone all 3 Bee Gees at once

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Overactive Knife and Fork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

So you can't target a specific part of the body to lose weight. Your genetics say where on your body it will store fat.

So you could lose weight overall to reduce belly fat or if you're not really over weight but have a big belly try do weights and eat more protein instead of carbs. Don't just do cardio. Building muscle will lower your body fat for a given weight and increase metabolism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Coolaboy

Thanks folks. I appreciate all the replys.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Coolaboy wrote:
    Thanks folks. I appreciate all the replys.

So what's your plan of action?

Advertisement