Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Day/night meter installation

• 13-05-2015 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭

Has anybody got a dual rate meter installed since acquiring an EV? Who do you actually call, not the Ghostbusters anyway? Apart from the increased standing charge does it actually cost to get the meter changed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

samih wrote: »
    Has anybody got a dual rate meter installed since acquiring an EV? Who do you actually call, not the Ghostbusters anyway? Apart from the increased standing charge does it actually cost to get the meter changed?

You need to get in touch with your supply company (Airtricity, Bord Gais Energy or whoever). No charge for installation (though there is a charge if you want to switch back) just the increased standing charge.

Installation is required to be within 7 working days of your order. Check your first bill after the change to make sure the proper rates are being applied (I ended up getting a refund from airtricity as they accidentally put one of my meters on the wrong rate)

It's also a great opportunity to negotiate your rates if you are out of contract. Any discount you get now applies to your car too after all!

No charge for install, just 50 Euros a year extra rental. But that is nothing compared to what I save on petrol !

I use the washing machine at night, dryer if needed and in Summer will heat the water with the immersion at night also. So saving more.

I work shift currently so not saving as much as I could when I work nights and have to charge during the day. I work 7 nights a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Great stuff, thanks for the information. Both our dishwasher and washing machine have timers on them so can run those on night time leccy too as a bonus.

This kind of reminds me of the old Muller rice ads: Pleasure - Pain. But where is the pain?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭homer911

dont forget that the day rate goes up in order to get the cheaper night rate

I need to do the maths but despite having an EV, I have not found a compelling reason to install a night meter yet

Whenever we get smart meters, I can see these becoming redundant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

homer911 wrote: »

I need to do the maths but despite having an EV, I have not found a compelling reason to install a night meter yet

We currently use on average around 7..9 units a day according to the OWL energy meter.

I suspect that on average we would be using upwards 8 extra units per 24 h charging the leaf but you're right, best to see what the numbers look like before doing the changer. I just checked that the daytime unit rate increases approx 1.2c/kWh + VAT so not that much really. Considering that this would only leave the lighting and cooking using the daytime rate power, which is 7.7c + VAT more than night time rate sounds like a winner.

Rough calculation (rounded to the nearest cent excluding the VAT) just for the units:

Standard:
    Now: 60 x 8 x 0.17 = €81.6 per bill

With leaf: 60 x 16 x 0.17 = €163.2 per bill

Day/Night (assuming we would use two less units at day rate by timing the appliances):
    With leaf: 60 x 6 x 0.18 + 60 x 10 x 0.08 = €112.8 per bill

In this case we would almost save the extra standing charge during the first two monthly bill. And, if I remember correctly, the leaf battery takes up to 23 kWh to fully charge including the losses. In above calculation I assumed that the battery would never be totally flat arriving home and that it would be charged every second night.

• Advertisement

My day rate has gone down on Bord Gais, paying DD monthly.

The thing is it's a set charge per month so if we use a lot more leccy they will adjust it from say 58 PM to 80 Pm etc and if it goes down again they will adjust it down and so on. I did not know this when I was signing up, I was not told.

I much rather pay as I use, or for what's I've used rather than base it on some average.

Personally, when i negotiated for a discount that dropped the day rate below what I was paying previously on the 24h rate. So usage during the day is costing me 0.2c per unit less and night rate is costing me just over 9c less.
    So win-win.

Combined with moving the washing machine/dryer and dishwasher to timer, According to my network OWLs my usage almost doubled and my bill went down by 3%

my new digital ESB meter says I've consumed about 560 Kwh since about the 28th of Feb, so I calculated this a 50 Euro saving so far or about 2,000 miles of Leafing !

You could also say the Night meter has now paid for itself so anything over this now is a direct saving.

my new digital ESB meter says I've consumed about 560 Kwh since about the 28th of Feb, so I calculated this a 50 Euro saving so far or about 2,000 miles of Leafing !

You could also say the Night meter has now paid for itself so anything over this now is a direct saving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

cros13 wrote: »
    Personally, when i negotiated for a discount that dropped the day rate below what I was paying previously on the 24h rate. So usage during the day is costing me 0.2c per unit less and night rate is costing me just over 9c less.
    So win-win.

Combined with moving the washing machine/dryer and dishwasher to timer, According to my network OWLs my usage almost doubled and my bill went down by 3%

How did you negotiate down the day rate? Compare with other vendors?

• Advertisement

pwurple wrote: »
    How did you negotiate down the day rate? Compare with other vendors?

My contract had ended and I was on standard rates. I compared rates and my provider was still the cheapest so when I ordered the night meter I also asked for a discount and agreed to a new 12 month contract.
    They gave me 20% off the standard rate which kept the new day rate just below the old 24 hours rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

samih wrote: »

As posted previously, Power NI announced "Great Price reductions", But in the small print at the end, Economy 7 is no longer available to new customers" So watch that space in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Hi folks this isn't worth a new thread just quick question. Just rang Electric Ireland about getting a Night Saver meter which I am guessing is the right term here and she was really nice but quite confused.

She ended up leaving the phone call telling me she was at a wedding recently where she was talking to several people with EVs and she thought I needed some "special equipment" and I should ring ESB Networks. She then said she can "log it" that I want to be switched onto a "dual tariff", but wouldn't answer the question as to whether or not it actually needed new hardware installed. She also did not know what the Night Saver meter was.

I left the phone call more confused than I was before it :D ESB Networks closed now so I am expecting to ring them on Monday and be told to just ring Electric Ireland. Anyone care to enlighten me? Can Electric Ireland install whatever hardware I need and get me onto a dual tariff or do I need to talk to ESB Networks here first and get them to do that? Maybe I don't even need any new meter (current meter is an ancient thing about 20 years old).

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

I changed to a dual rate meter before Christmas and was with electric Ireland....

They were a bit of a disaster really - took 3 attempts to get sorted. Turns out their operators were choosing the wrong option on their internal application (so the 3rd operator told me). In the end they gave me a 40€ credit for all the messing, can't fault them for that.

The moral of the story is; it sounds like she's logged the right request for you *but* call ESB networks sometime on Monday and confirm with them that electric Ireland have forwarded on the dual rate meter request.

It's ESB networks that change the meter - electric Ireland have to make the request to them on your behalf

Haha okay thank you that makes sense. I don't think she has actually logged anything just said that she could, but I should talk to ESB Networks first :D Jaysus Electric Ireland's google reviews are shocking will try and get us onto Energia after the meter is sorted which should save a few quid as well

Did the same here :) was at the end of my contact with electric Ireland, got them to do the switch then, once I saw my 40€ credit, switched to just energy

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

They were a bit of a disaster really - took 3 attempts to get sorted. Turns out their operators were choosing the wrong option on their internal application (so the 3rd operator told me). In the end they gave me a 40€ credit for all the messing, can't fault them for that.

Same here. Although only 2 attempts, and no credit.

Nothing had happened a week after calling them, and it should only take a few days to get the dual rate meter, so I called them again.

Seems the first operator entered it as a change to a pay-as-you-go meter instead of a dual rate meter :eek:. The second operator sorted it out and the meter was installed after a couple of days, free of charge.

The 3rd operator said they saw what had happened and it would definitely work that time. They were ready to say thank you and move me on but I asked what had happened the first 2 times. Only then did I get an explanation and the refund

Well I am several phone calls deep now after having ESB Networks tell me for a 3rd time there is no job on their system still from Electric Ireland. I'm almost at a loss what to do except ring Electric Ireland every single day now :pac:

Was going to leave Electric Ireland after the meter was installed but might just do it before now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,749 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

homer911 wrote: »

I wouldn't hold my breadth on a 'Smart' meter, and be careful about night meters.

After 10 years, and some fairly incomprehensible bills in that period, I'm now on my 3rd 'night-rate' meter (digital one). I still don't trust it, nor do i think it's accurate.

At one point they had to credit me for a year of overcharging, and admitted there was a series of faulty meters in the field and that ESB networks were rolling out field replacements.

I'd much rather have an analogue meter, thanks.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭KCross

galwaytt wrote: »
    I wouldn't hold my breadth on a 'Smart' meter, and be careful about night meters.

You have replied to an almost 4 year old post! :)

New Smart meters are on the way... to be rolled out to everyone, starting this year.
    https://esbnetworks.ie/smartmetering/background.html

There seems to be no correlation between smart meters and night rate meters right now. Seems pretty crazy to come around to my gaff, install a night meter and then swap it out for a smart one in X months while they are giving some people smart meters now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭KCross

There seems to be no correlation between smart meters and night rate meters right now. Seems pretty crazy to come around to my gaff, install a night meter and then swap it out for a smart one in X months while they are giving some people smart meters now

I dont think anyone has got a smart meter yet other than some pilot projects.

Well I am several phone calls deep now after having ESB Networks tell me for a 3rd time there is no job on their system still from Electric Ireland. I'm almost at a loss what to do except ring Electric Ireland every single day now :pac:

Was going to leave Electric Ireland after the meter was installed but might just do it before now.

I feel your pain, been there with electric Ireland... You're earning your name Dan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Got a smart meter installed DIY , bought off a supplier from UK.
    Installed,activated,works great as a second meter.
    Uses a 4G SIM Card activated in Spain,covering whole Europe.
    Getting readings every half hour.
    It has day and night tariff plans.It has import / export functionality as well.
    Beside paying for the meter,i paid an annual subscription charge.
    I have disabled the "disconect supply by remote access" function (which im guessing is all the suppliers after).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

As Power N.I increase their prices by 21.4 % from 1st Jan,they also say that 'The following off peak rates,are no longer available to join'

Does this mean,if the generators aren't switched off at night,we can't have half price electricity, by joining Economy's 7 anymore?

Advertisement