Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6n 2019 Ireland v England Build Up Thread

• 26-01-2019 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,975 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Am gonna have a guess at the 15

Healy Best Furlong Toner Ryan POM SOB Stander

Murray Sexton Stockdale Aki Ringrose Earls Larmour

Bench
    McGrath Cronin Porter Roux VDF Cooney Carbery Addison

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Can't see Joe dropping Rob K regardless of his performance last night. And the same with Henshaw, I can't see Joe selecting Aki over him now that's he's back fit

• Registered Users Posts: 10,975 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Can't see Joe dropping Rob K regardless of his performance last night. And the same with Henshaw, I can't see Joe selecting Aki over him now that's he's back fit

Joe has had a tendency to pick his moments with players who were previously regulars. Ross and Darce spring to mind.

Just have a feeling there might be 1 or 2 unexpected selections in the first 2 games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

The only selection I can't call is 12. Could be either of them and neither would be the wrong choice.

VDF will get the 20 jersey I reckon. I'd pick Addison at 23 ahead of Larmour or Conway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

By rights VdF should start at 7. SoB has no form to speak of. Would be a huge risk throwing himself and Kearney in.

Actually quite worried about this game. England will be out to do a job on us and we've a few players with question marks surround fitness and form.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Also in the concerned camp. From what I have seen of English players, they look a lot closer to two years ago than 2018. Think the post lions slump and the lunacy of them being back training after only a week or ten days back from MZ really affected them last year. Many have forgotten that before they lost to Ireland in final game of 2017 6N, they looked near unstoppable.

If it was in Twickenham, would have Eng as favourites, hopefully home advantage is enough to swing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Kearney was in the horrors on Friday. If he's not 100% in training during the week then he needs to sit this game out. The lack of an alternative playing regularly at 15 is a concern. The next man up is presumably Larmour but Conway or Addison are options also.

Healy, Best, Furlong, Toner, Ryan, POM, VDF, Stander;
    Murray, Sexton, Earls, Henshaw, Ringrose, Stockdale, Kearney

Cronin, McGrath, Porter, Dillane, SOB, Cooney, Carbery, Addison

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Annabella1

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Am gonna have a guess at the 15

Healy Best Furlong Toner Ryan POM SOB Stander

Murray Sexton Stockdale Aki Ringrose Earls Larmour

Bench
    McGrath Cronin Porter Roux VDF Cooney Carbery Addison

Good team
    Would probably swap in henshaw and dillane on the bench
    Gonna be a nail biter

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'm far more nervous about the trip to Murrayfield than this game tbh.

• Administrators Posts: 53,125 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I reckon Aki retains his spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Can't see SOB in ahead of VDF! The 23 jersey will be interesting too. I think Conway will get it.
    I am nervous for this one. I think England are on the up again.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I think VDF is one of those players who should start or not play at all.

I think he should start with SOB on the bench, but if SOB keeps going well I reckon he'll start.

If the latter is the case, Jordi should bench as he can cover the entire back-row. If Stander goes down then we've a problem in that none of the other three (POM, SOB, VDF) are as good at 8 as Murphy is.

VDF should be starting as he's been our best 7 by a country mile this year (followed by Murphy) but if SOB is in anyway decent nick then you couldn't turn your nose up at him either.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,742 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I think Rob will have work to do to show he’s deserving of his spot, but he’s delivered before so I don’t doubt he’ll do so again. And it’s probably no harm him having that pressure to keep him on his toes. Lord knows he doesn’t have a contender breathing down his neck to do that. Still. But if he doesn’t make his case I’d start Addison and bench Larmour.

In terms of the Aki/Henshaw call, I’d be with FF on it. I’m not sure there’s a wrong decision there and it’ll all come down to how they go in training I’d say.

At 7 there is no way anyone other than VDF should start for me. SOB has barely played in 2 months and VDF has been going well.

I’m not sure there are any other contentious calls tbh. The second row on the bench is about the only other one. I haven’t seen enough of Connacht this season to call that, although I wonder will we be prioritising line out calling there? Which of Dillane or Roux would fit that bill best?

Healy
    Best
    Furlong
    Toner
    Ryan
    POFM
    VDF
    Stander

Murray
    Sexton
    Stockdale
    Henshaw/Aki
    Ringrose
    Earls
    Kearney/Addison

Cronin
    McGrath
    Porter
    Dillane/Roux
    SOB
    Cooney
    Carbery
    Addison/Larmour

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Healy
    Best
    Furlong
    Toner
    Ryan
    Pom
    Vdf
    Stander
    Murray
    Sexton
    Stockdale
    Aki
    Ringrose
    Earls
    Kearney/ Addison

Croinin
    McGrath
    Porter
    Dillane/ roux
    Sob
    Cooney
    Carbery
    Henshaw

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Healy
    Best
    Furlong
    Toner
    Ryan
    Pom
    Vdf
    Stander
    Murray
    Sexton
    Stockdale
    Aki
    Ringrose
    Earls
    Kearney/ Addison

Croinin
    McGrath
    Porter
    Dillane/ roux
    Sob
    Cooney
    Carbery
    Henshaw

I think either Henshaw starts or he doesn’t feature at all. He doesn’t offer the coverage across the back line that Addison and Larmour do. He hasn’t played anywhere other than centre in any meaningful way in years. Same with Aki.

molloyjh wrote: »
    At 7 there is no way anyone other than VDF should start for me. SOB has barely played in 2 months and VDF has been going well.

On paper, I agree. I'm a huge VDF fanboy and would love to see him play. He's been almost as unlucky as SOB with injury and he deserves a run.

But I also think SOB is in the Furlong/Murray/Sexton bracket that if he's fit enough to stand, he's going straight into the team. He's just that good.

So I would predict

Kearney
    Earls Ringrose Henshaw Stockdale
    Sexton Murray
    Healy Best Furlong
    Ryan Toner
    POM Stander SOB

Cronin McGrath Porter Roux VDF Cooney Carbery Addison

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Larmour might not make the cut?
    How bizarre. He is so good and yet...
    We are in a place we've never been before.
    Addison has really impressed and improved our options.
    Conway is a superb player and is playing outstanding.
    Larmour is the future. He's brilliant but, he's still learning.

Amazing to think these 3 lads are at our disposal.

• The opening 40 of Ireland v England is going to be utterly brutal. Two serious contenders for the title looking to put down a marker.

I expect Ireland to come out on top for several reasons, but I reckon I'll be watching through my fingers.

I think Carbery will start more than one game and it won't be injury related.

On paper, I agree. I'm a huge VDF fanboy and would love to see him play. He's been almost as unlucky as SOB with injury and he deserves a run.

But I also think SOB is in the Furlong/Murray/Sexton bracket that if he's fit enough to stand, he's going straight into the team. He's just that good.

I just think the game will be played at a pace that SOB hasn’t seen in a long while, so VDF makes far more sense to start. And I reckon it’s probably the best way of bringing SOB back in. He tends to be a little slow to come back to form after injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Would be madness to throw SOB in at deep end against Eng. VDF starts no questions asked for me. SOB is a great option off the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

England will come out and play like madmen for 40 minutes, they have a huge point to prove. However, Ireland are very very very good at rolling with the punches, and I expect them to be ahead at half time, after which England will wilt a bit and Ireland will finish them off.

England have some great talent but their emphasis is brawn over brain. Ireland should eat that for breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭baas baa

I'll bow to Schmdts better judgement but after how long O'Brien has been out and how routinely he breaks down I wouldnt have him near test rugby and leave him with Leinster to prove his fitness for a minimum of 6 months before having him in the conversation for Ireland. I think it's worth mentioning as well that he was dreadful in his last 6 nations for Ireland, even though he had a superb lions tour a few months later.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

baas baa wrote: »
    I'll bow to Schmdts better judgement but after how long O'Brien has been out and how routinely he breaks down I wouldnt have him near test rugby and leave him with Leinster to prove his fitness for a minimum of 6 months before having him in the conversation for Ireland. I think it's worth mentioning as well that he was dreadful in his last 6 nations for Ireland, even though he had a superb lions tour a few months later.

He won't get through 6 months of rugby.

He wasn't close to "dreadful" in his last 6 Nations. That's a ridiculous overstatement.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,724 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I can't say I watched the Wasps Leinster game that closely, but the bits I did see, it looked like SOB was going well.

I'd probably have him on the bench against England with JVDF starting.

As for 12, all I'd say is that if there has been one constant in our success in the last 12 months, it is Bundee Aki. So for me I'd go Aki/Ringrose. But it's close with Henshaw.

I expect Kearney to start at FB.

I think the rest of the starting XV picks itself.

Not sure who is ahead between Roux and Dillane for the second row bench spot. Is Marmion going to be available? And then there is No.23. Addison covers back three and centre, where as Larmour only really covers the back three so that may give him the edge over the Leinsterman...tight though...could go either way

• Administrators Posts: 53,125 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

SOB is too risky to bench. He could come on and break after 5 minutes.

He either starts or isn't involved for me.

There was a discussion on Newstalk today with MOK and Ruaidhri O'Connor, MOK reckons Roux will get the nod for the bench because he's a better lineout caller than either Ryan or Dillane if Toner has to go off.

But also that the starters will play 80 mins if possible so it might not matter

• Registered Users Posts: 17,724 ✭✭✭✭bilston

How long is Beirne out for?

Did I read that Henderson is expected to be back for Rds 4 and 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Buer

SOB was full of aggression and energy early on against Wasps but he was struggling very early. He fell off a tackle in his own 22 a couple of phases before Hughes scores and it was SOB on the line again who Hughes went through to score. I don't think VDF makes those errors purely on the basis of fitness and sharpness.

I can see VDF starting and being put on Billy V duty. If Vunipola so much as looks at touching the ball, he's chopped. VDF is tailor made for the job and England are hugely depleted if BV can't make an impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It would be a waste of VDF to put him man marking when he leads the entire defensive line so well, especially when we have multiple players capable of taking Billy V down like that. I’d much rather make it a systemic approach

• Advertisement

• I wouldn't be surprised if SOB starts.

Joe will know exactly where his fitness is after the few weeks in camp and will know exactly what he is capable of delivering.

He fast tracked him before and if the broken arm is fully recovered he'll do the same again.

He may not be in the frame, but I wouldn't be confident in ruling him out nor would I second guess his inclusion.

If he is fit and performing in training he'll be in the mix for the match day. After that it's up to him to take top spot or someone else to deny him it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement