Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ZV Plates

• 22-01-2019 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

What are your opinions on the ZV plates on classic vehicles?
    I think they take away from the vehicles appearance.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Up Donegal wrote: »
    What are your opinions on the ZV plates on classic vehicles?
    I think they take away from the vehicles appearance.
    Older ZV plates are great. The new ones with the ridiculous long numbers, less so.

I've opted to keep a shorter '83 number, than change to a long ZV one. But to each their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

Dades wrote: »
    Older ZV plates are great. The new ones with the ridiculous long numbers, less so.

I've opted to keep a shorter '83 number, than change to a long ZV one. But to each their own.

Yes, Iagree that the short ZV plates were good.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I was lucky to get a ZV with three "1"s in it back in '17, so it looked quite short (not wide). Had proper metal plates made and it looked class on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Dades wrote: »

This. I used to go for ZV plates, but the last two classics I changed over I went for the year plate as the ZV is too long now.
    Wonder if they'll ever change to another combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Very much a personal preference.

I think he year plates look fine on cars from the 80’s, less so on cars from the 70’s amd as the date goes farther back for some reason I feel the tear plates look more and more out of place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ Kian Thundering Pancreas

Simple rule. ZV on Chrome Bumpers. Year Reg on Plastic Bumpers :D:D:D

and yes there will be a few odd ones out there. Agree with above, mid 80's onwards the year plate looks best...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Depends on the plate the number is on. ZV's look ridiculous on Euro plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Depends on the plate the number is on. ZV's look ridiculous on Euro plates.

Absolutely, it should be banned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭w124man

_Brian wrote: »

+1 for that

ZV plates up to 31/12/86 and year plates from then on. Get them made on the right format and all is good

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

w124man wrote: »
    +1 for that

Ah come on lads, I was in a rush and it was only a tenner... :pac:

6654750937_704107978e_b.jpg
    2012-01-07_09-10-57_534.jpg by macplaxton, on Flickr

• Advertisement

Ah its only a trailer ....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,086 ✭✭✭✭elperello

But it's a nice trailer, well wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭Silvera

Plus it saved you putting an IRL sticker on the trailer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

I think it depends. I'm lucky enough to live in a county with "short" year related vintage plates, so was able to get a decent enough year number on my Anglia:

57 WH 8001

I wouldn't have gone for year reg if it was something like 57 MH 120001

C635

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

macplaxton wrote: »
    +1 for that

Ah come on lads, I was in a rush and it was only a tenner... :pac:

6654750937_704107978e_b.jpg
    2012-01-07_09-10-57_534.jpg by macplaxton, on Flickr
    Who are you insured with? I can't get any company to insure a classic with cover for towing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

+1 for that

ZV plates up to 31/12/86 and year plates from then on. Get them made on the right format and all is good

ZV plates are meaningless. The original premise for a number plate is that it identifies the year the car was registered, and the place (country, area, city) it was registered.
    As an example you could have a dozen Mini's, ranging from 1959 up to the mid 90's, all lumped together with a selection of 'ZV' plates, and unless you were expert in spotting the differences, to the casual observer, they may as well all be the same.
    A well made 'year/county' plate will look just right.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

kermitpwee wrote: »
    Who are you insured with? I can't get any company to insure a classic with cover for towing.

I haven't towed with that car since 2014/15 and that picture was from 2012.

My desk is an absolute disaster at the minute, so I cannot find my current insurance cert on the current car to check, but a flick through those certs I did find up to 2015 didn't exclude towing.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martco

just waking up this thread with a question I haven't managed to get a straight answer for elsewhere as yet....

can I change/revert an existing ZV plate (which I think looks like kak in this case) to a normal 88-D-xxxx style plate?

No, but you can go from an 88-D-xxxx to ZV.

Have you considered a different spacing of the digits as a way of making your plate look better ?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martco

nah ZV XXXXX and honestly it just doesn't look right in this case, I can't explain, amazing really, it shouldn't matter really atall...

but I've come to realise that there are certain number plates that I know will just drill holes in my personal head and I couldn't own, weird I know

I actually now won't buy this particular motor because of that (I must have ocd or something..mental or what lol)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The original premise for a number plate is that it identifies the year the car was registered, and the place (country, area, city) it was registered.

The original reason for registration plates was to assign a unique identification to a motor vehicle and where it was first registered. It had nothing to do with age. There's 69 years between IT 1 and IT 9999. How does that identify the year?

Everyone to their own etc.....

I still wouldn't walk away from a good example of the type of car I was looking for over the number plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Ryano87

Red ZV plate on a w124. Would definitely prefer silver on black but does look different

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭steinbock123

I hate the ZV plates. Go to a car show and you see a 1915 Model T and then a 1975 BMW , both with ZV plates. It’s ridiculous in my opinion.

There are literally thousands of year specific plates available in all counties that were issued to cars that are long gone to the great scrapyard in the sky. They could all be re-issued, as they do in the UK, but the problem as I see it , is that a system like that would require a bit of initiative and extra work on behalf of the motor tax offices and the registration authorities in Shannon. You’ll be a long time looking for initiative in the civil service, and as for the extra work . . . . . .

The ironic thing is that there would be plenty of money to be made from such a system, ( once they didn’t go bananas overcharging, the way the Revenue do if you want to reserve a specific number for a new car).

Anyway , I don’t see any such system here anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

I've had my Wolseley for 14 years on a ZV plate. It's good enough. 70D would've been alright too. Obviously old plates could be re-issued, but given how the Irish city and county councils plus the rest Irish public service operates, that could never happen.

Every county has a certain number of the old pre 87 series that were never issued.

These could be used straightaway with a simple amendment of the legislation.

The other numbers that were previously issued and applied to vehicles long since scrapped would require a bit more work and research before being re-issued.

The whole thing could be run online by Shannon with the set up and running costs covered by a reasonable fee.

Vintage car owners would be happy and the state would get a bit of revenue.

What's not to like?

Quote "The whole thing could be run online by Shannon with the set up and running costs covered by a reasonable fee." Unquote

The whole thing could be run online by a three year old .......

I have a couple of of likely lads in mind 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Many counties were using emergency numbers in the end which weren't that nice to look at, IV, IS, GI etc unless they used IT, IC and other counties that hadn't used their allocated letters, not sure if I'd like a Leitrim or Carlow plate on my car, Wexford wouldn't be good as they were starting to use reversed MI and ZR.

Using old numbers from "scrapped" vehicles is already in place😏😏

• Advertisement

There is no shortage of numbers as you can see here on this handy page -

There is even a whole series there that for some reason was never used in Tipperary in the sixties, JFI 1-999.

I get what you are saying about some numbers being not so attractive but there would be a good choice available.

All you'd have to do is go online pick a number and make your payment.

(I have seen some of those dodgy unofficial scrapper "transfers" you refer to 🙂)

Advertisement