Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Singapore Airlines Cadet Pilot recruitment

Options
  • 20-01-2019 3:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,031 ✭✭✭✭

Company : Singapore Airlines

Contract type : Full Time

Aircraft type : No Type Rating

Job location : Singapore

Job published date : 2019-01-18

Job expiry date : 2019-02-09

I got this from a job site, but there should be something on the Singapore site, it also says that it's open to all nationalities, hence my posting it here.

Good Luck

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Link to Singapore Recruitment page - https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/ie/careers/cadet-pilots-career/

Interesting that they are also recruiting low hour (200 hours, 100 PIC) ATPL cadets. 7 year bond though, ouch!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

3 year bond on the ATR for Stobart

5 year bond on the 737 for Ryanair

7 year bond with SIA to go on an A330/350 or 777/787 doesn't seem so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Ever seen an SIA flight crew walking through an airport? Hint should be following the links. Don't see a whole lot of gingas on their website. From memory last expats were LHS contractors who left years ago when their contracts weren't renewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

I could never understand the logic that you are bonded onto a Type that you have paid for, at zero cost to the airline....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

SIA are notoriously racist. Good luck, you won't need it though because they will not even process your application.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

3 year bond on the ATR for Stobart

5 year bond on the 737 for Ryanair

7 year bond with SIA to go on an A330/350 or 777/787 doesn't seem so bad.

With Stobart and Ryanair you'll be getting stick time. With Singapore you'll be sitting as a cruise pilot only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

Brennus335 wrote: »
    With Stobart and Ryanair you'll be getting stick time. With Singapore you'll be sitting as a cruise pilot only.

Double Dutch to me???? Is that in reference to the fact that if your with stobart or Ryanair you’ll be doing more landings anc take offs. I.e. actual flying.

cruise pilots fly the aircraft during the cruise on long haul flights and do not take off or land and may only do so, if at all, at the behest of the Captain.

adam88 wrote: »
    Double Dutch to me???? Is that in reference to the fact that if your with stobart or Ryanair you’ll be doing more landings anc take offs. I.e. actual flying.

As a cruise pilot, you'll only be there to act as inflight relief for the operating crew. Basically keeping the seat warm while the others go on break.

Brennus335 wrote: »
    As a cruise pilot, you'll only be there to act as inflight relief for the operating crew. Basically keeping the seat warm while the others go on break.

Okay but you obviously work your way up in those organisations and less junior staff come in behind you ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,031 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

That depends on the airlines career path, logically it would be cruise pilot, first officer, captain. But as a foreigner you might be contracted as a cruise pilot and stay as a cruise pilot until you pulled your hair out with boredom.

smurfjed wrote: »
    That depends on the airlines career path, logically it would be cruise pilot, first officer, captain. But as a foreigner you might be contracted as a cruise pilot and stay as a cruise pilot until you pulled your hair out with boredom.

Do as you're told, you worthless roundeye....

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Lustrum

smurfjed wrote: »

I believe if you join Cathay as a cadet it's 4 years cruise relief, apparently whatever way they do they type ratings that's all you can operate as and you're not licenced to take off or land....that's a long 4 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

Lustrum wrote: »
    I believe if you join Cathay as a cadet it's 4 years cruise relief, apparently whatever way they do they type ratings that's all you can operate as and you're not licenced to take off or land....that's a long 4 years

This isn't true. You are a type rated pilot and just as qualified to land and take off as the other pilots on the flight. Only you won't be taking off or landing much at all, you are basically a reserve for the most boring part of the flight.

Never knew this. Is it just Asian carriers that operate this way or it would it be similar among the big western LH and ME carriers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,031 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

A lot of cost conscious airlines do it as a cruise pilot has less experience so therefore gets a lower salary.

It used to be the case that the cruise pilot was credited with a third of the flight hours, as he did not operate for all of the flight, until there were court cases taken that showed that being on the flight deck constituted duty, as the guy was obviously required to pay attention, even if he was sitting in the jump seat. So, he accumulated his hours at a much slower pace than his colleagues, was consequently paid less and gained promotion over time at a slower rate and also had few if any landings and takeoffs to his credit, all purely for airlines to save a few quid. The airlines found that people got bored to death and quit and there was a high turnover of staff. It was also found that certain airlines would use foreigners to fill the role, certain that they'd get bored and leave, rather than have locals doing it, who tended to start off as cruise pilots for a few months and then get the FO slot, while the foreigner stayed as CP for months on end, kept there only by high wages and the alleged promise of an FO slot.

Advertisement