Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

accounting v sales graduate offers

• 24-01-2019 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Last year I completed a work placement with a large accountancy firm and on completion I was offered a training contract for when I graduate in the audit department. The contract is 3.5 years long 25k and ACA exams will be covered. I know this is a great opportunity with great outcomes if the contract is completed successfully, but during my time in the company, I couldn't wait to leave. I find accounting comes naturally to me but bores the life out of me at the same time. I have also recently been offered a business development/ sales role in a fin-tech company, 32k base and 47k OTE uncapped. This role excites me and I feel a lot more suited to it. Should I just suck it up and do 3.5 years in the accounting firm or go the sales route? Id appreciate any feedback, Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

You already made this thread with another account previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Have seven kids and go on the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 nathang93

Ush1 wrote: »
    You already made this thread with another account previously.
    No, I have just made this thread now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Have you thought about engineering?

Have you thought about engineering?
    No, I haven't. I studied architecture for a year but felt business was more for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Speaking as someone who did the ACA exams and the 3.5 year contract it has good and bad. But you need to weigh up what the roles will offer you not just in the short term but the slightly longer term.
    The starting salary is 25k but that will increase each year with passing the exams and then jump again once you're fully qualified. However you do have to work long hours and studying for the exams is not that easy. In fact it's quite difficult. You won't have a great social life in some ways during that timeframe. However in most accounting firms, there's a group of people starting who are the same age etc so you do end up with some good friends out of it all and the shared experience.
    For the other role - the salary is very good to start with but does it offer any development in terms of professional skills and does the salary move from that or are you likely to stay at that level for a number of years.

You don't mention what your degree is in either which could lead into a career. You shouldn't have to suck it up at all but do think carefully about it and where each role will lead you in 5 years time.

Speaking as someone who did the ACA exams and the 3.5 year contract it has good and bad. But you need to weigh up what the roles will offer you not just in the short term but the slightly longer term.
    The starting salary is 25k but that will increase each year with passing the exams and then jump again once you're fully qualified. However you do have to work long hours and studying for the exams is not that easy. In fact it's quite difficult. You won't have a great social life in some ways during that timeframe. However in most accounting firms, there's a group of people starting who are the same age etc so you do end up with some good friends out of it all and the shared experience.
    For the other role - the salary is very good to start with but does it offer any development in terms of professional skills and does the salary move from that or are you likely to stay at that level for a number of years.

You don't mention what your degree is in either which could lead into a career. You shouldn't have to suck it up at all but do think carefully about it and where each role will lead you in 5 years time.
    My degree is in business management, so it's quite broad. The company offers internal and external training and development, the salary can increase early and progression is possible with regular assessments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

nathang93 wrote: »
    My degree is in business management, so it's quite broad. The company offers internal and external training and development, the salary can increase early and progression is possible with regular assessments.

Ok with the external training and development is this the type that is industry recognised? I.e. is it on a product that would be useful if you went to a different company or would it really only benefit the role your in?

I'm not downing it btw but just trying to get an idea. ACA is a very defined piece of work that results in a professional qualification that can lead into other areas.

Ultimately though one thing you have to consider is if you want to further your education through more exams and additional qualifications at this point in time or would you prefer to not right now and maybe do something in the future?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

Perhaps you should consume 19 pints whilst mulling over yer conundrum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note: This might be better dealt with in the Work & Jobs forum so I'll close this thread for a while to move it over.

Please note the change of forum and forum rules before you post,

Buford T. Justice

• Advertisement
Advertisement