Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me an estate agent

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Max Powers wrote: »
    Harvest festival organisers...brilliant food festival.

Are they also estate agents? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Are they also estate agents? lol

Doh...meant for credit due thread...my bad.

Closed on a property with Thomas Reid recently. Not even a thank you or anything.

Aloof is putting it nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Edz87 wrote: »
    Closed on a property with Thomas Reid recently. Not even a thank you or anything.

Aloof is putting it nicely.

Couldn't be dealing with the likes of that, especially when they're getting thousands in the hand for showing a house a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Couldn't be dealing with the likes of that, especially when they're getting thousands in the hand for showing a house a few times.

There are some absolute cnuts posing as businessmen in this city. Unreal how they have one face for the clients are are complete a$$holes to staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

1. John & Margaret Fogarty (Remax) are excellent and honest.
    2. Des & Conor Purcell are also good solid people.
    3. O' Shea O'Toole - very professional
    4. Liberty Blue - New to the market and hungry to sell. Different approach to selling. Worth a punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Yes Boss wrote: »
    2. Des & Conor Purcell are also good solid people.
    3. O' Shea O'Toole - very professional
    4. Liberty Blue - New to the market and hungry to sell. Different approach to selling. Worth a punt.

Liberty Blue are just Bookaroom. I've never used them but there's plenty of bad reviews on here about them. Not sure if it's justified or not.

Few grand for throwing the ad up on Daft. Scandalous stuff.

Hopefully we get more person to person sales in the future, take the parasitic middlemen out of it altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 trueblue74

Had some dealings with Leslie Warren Estates a while back, good guy, straight up and knows his stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 fenfoz

Can not recommend Liberty Blue highly enough, bought a house through them highly professional and no messing about.

When selling my own house I got multiple EA's to value my house, all of them were basing there prices lazily on last house sold in the area, they took no consideration into work put into the house and just wanted a quick easy sale. Got Liberty Blue to sell house at much higher price then any of the EA's said it was worth.

Don't often post or recommend but I was highly impressed with Liberty Blue. In fact they were so good a family member also sold there house with them and were equally impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Lots of new members posting lately!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Seen quite a few properties over the past year or two, with multiple agents. Some are good and some basically just open the house and parrot back whatever is in the brochure - they don't even know the details themselves without reading it e.g. floor area/central heating etc.. It's a bit of an indictment of the profession when it's a big positive that someone calls you back when they told you they would.
    • Halley Grace - Tommy Grace showed us several places (3 I think) and always seemed more like an honest broker between two parties than a salesman - his advice was always to make an offer - any offer - and he could take it from there vis a vis negotiating with the vendor. Always came across as fair and knowledgeable, no complaints at all.
    • Heffernan Estates - Saw one place with Andrea Toner - she was on the ball in answering questions and actually finding out the answers that she didn't know off the top of her head. Moved the bidding process along very efficiently (we didn't actually buy the place) and did everything she said she would.
    • Palmers - Saw several places with various of the brothers. The first one they never showed up to the viewing and when we rang they said they hadn't managed to get the keys and we should just have a look around the outside. Another time the person due to show us around had a conflicting appointment and sent his brother who knew nothing about the property. Other viewings were ok.
    • DNG - Can't remember who this was but he turned up half an hour late after we had to ring him. First words out of his mouth were "this is a bank sale and I know nothing about it"

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

Liked:
    DNG- the guy that shows us the house, gave us a quick guide around and then disappeared to leave us to explore by ourselves and answered any questions we had.

Guiry- showed up on time, wasn't too pushy, didn't have much knowledge of local area

Disliked:
    O'Shea O'Toole - arrived 40 mins late for the viewing, didn't introduce herself, first words out of her mouth was that the apartment was now €15k over the advertised price. Seemed like I was putting her out by requesting a viewing of the property. She ushered us out the door without a goodbye

Griffin- Absolute spoofer, requested for a private viewing, got a private viewing of the house hallway and in strolled about 8 other buyers behind me. He doesn't return calls, would only allow a builder to have a look at the place when it would suit him (i.e if he finished a viewing early and you could get your builder in there within 10 mins notice)

Barry Murphy- wanted to know how I would be paying for the house before even asking about the property I was interested in. I'm still waiting for him to call me back....2 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,779 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

wendydoll wrote: »
    Barry Murphy- wanted to know how I would be paying for the house before even asking about the property I was interested in. I'm still waiting for him to call me back....2 years later.

i think we have a winner, if they're too busy to call back, they must be really busy, therefore must be really popular, i.e. really good!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    i think we have a winner, if they're too busy to call back, they must be really busy, therefore must be really popular, i.e. really good!:D

People seem to like him but I'm not going to chase them around when I'm going to be using their services to buy a house. I'll take my cash buyer money elsewhere :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Yes Boss wrote: »

Margaret fed me a string of lies (5 years ago) about a property she showed me. I had all my homework done on it, knew one of the neighbours and availed of some internet info on how long the house had been on the market for, different asking prices it had had etc.

Now she may well have been instructed to lie by the vendor, but made my mind up about her for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Gregory Fitzgerald - Fitzgerald Estates. Avoid like the plague.

So unpleasant to deal with. He managed a rental property we were in and would never deal with him again. We reported smoke leaking into an upstairs bedroom from the chimney breast and hs answer was - what did ye expect in a rented house, Waterford Castle?!

We moved out and an hour later the house was up on daft 'available immediatly'. No intention of getting any repairs done.

Anybody here have any further estate agent experience in the last year? We ended up holding off on selling but are about to push ahead with it in the next couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭dzilla

After dealings with estate agents 2 years ago I found Barry Murphy personable and nice to deal with . I did not buy from him in the end as he did not have the house we eventually went for. However from speaking to him on the phone about other places I thought he was top class and if i was selling on he would be the first fella i would call.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Emanine

We sold through Palmer Auctioneers. I couldn't fault them. They were professional, courteous, everything you'd expect an auctioneering firm to be.

• Advertisement

Emanine wrote: »
    We sold through Palmer Auctioneers. I couldn't fault them. They were professional, courteous, everything you'd expect an auctioneering firm to be.[/quote

Are they charging 1.5% and 20% vat on top?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I found Leslie Warren decent. Complicated transaction (both a purchase and a sale).. he normally handles bigger commercial stuff and not that much residential, but no complaints from me.. answers the phone 24/7 (I tend to send angry messages at night because a piece of paperwork comes in late or whatever.... or I get him to do things like get various folks in to quote for windows etc.. on the property I am buying.... no complaints from him, no issues, just get's it done and perhaps that is the norm, this is only my second house purchase and first sale, so I wouldn't have much to compare to. Fairly personal service though. Much more so than I was expecting. Surprised at the things I was able to get him to do... more I suspect than I would have gotten from some of the others mentioned here.

One is naturally wary of all salespeople, so I thought he was spoofing me a couple of times and I tried very hard to catch him out, but to be fair I found him to be straight up and honest and maybe I have low standards, but that's 99% of the battle for me !

Whatever you do avoid Joan Hutchinson, absolute nasty individual of the highest order and no manner whatsoever. She has no idea what she is doing and if you ask her more than one question she gets abrupt. I would never deal with her or her family again. Awful shower.

Whatever you do avoid Joan Hutchinson, absolute nasty individual of the highest order and no manner whatsoever. She has no idea what she is doing and if you ask her more than one question she gets abrupt. I would never deal with her or her family again. Awful shower.

Agree 100 percent, I was on the phone to her from abroad trying to organise a house to live with a young family, when we got to the office she blank refused to show us the house we were interested in, the house had been online for over a year and when we asked is there any play in the rent cost she lost the plot and then refused to show us the house in the end, I got in touch with the owners eventually when we got to know locals and they were so annoyed that she did that. there you go, not the first time i've seen bad reviews for her, so yeah plus 1

Agree 100 percent, I was on the phone to her from abroad trying to organise a house to live with a young family, when we got to the office she blank refused to show us the house we were interested in, the house had been online for over a year and when we asked is there any play in the rent cost she lost the plot and then refused to show us the house in the end, I got in touch with the owners eventually when we got to know locals and they were so annoyed that she did that. there you go, not the first time i've seen bad reviews for her, so yeah plus 1

She was only handed the job because her daddy gave it to her, shes unable to stand on her own two feet and hasn't the manner for it, if it were any other job but her parents firm she would be sacked.

She was only handed the job because her daddy gave it to her, shes unable to stand on her own two feet and hasn't the manner for it, if it were any other job but her parents firm she would be sacked.

I heard she's moved away actually lads/lasses. So good news for ye if true!

kuang1 wrote: »
    I heard she's moved away actually lads/lasses. So good news for ye if true!

Saw her in tesco the other day

Saw her in tesco the other day

Maybe she was just visiting?
    Anyone know if she's still in the office or working with Hutchinsons?

Listening to liveline this afternoon and there’s a new auctioneer firm in Dublin and cork auctioneera.ie and their fees are flat rated at €1299+vat. Are all Waterford agents still operating on a percentage basis does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Listening to liveline this afternoon and there’s a new auctioneer firm in Dublin and cork auctioneera.ie and their fees are flat rated at €1299+vat. Are all Waterford agents still operating on a percentage basis does anyone know?

I think most estate agents everywhere operate on a percentage basis. There is another firm based in Dublin who do that called Move On, who I think were the first or one of the first to do flat rates: http://www.moveon.ie/

They do fixed price lettings where most them charge a percentage (5%) of rent.

They also offer a tiered package for sellers. The Silver level might be that you show the property yourself, and they deal with the advertising and legal. Gold Level is where they do everything that a normal estate agent do, but it's all on a fixed price, and if you don't sell you pay nothing.

Advertisement