Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Speed vans - Impressive camouflage

Options
  • 21-01-2019 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

I have to say the the speed vans camouflage is outstanding lately. I used to be able to see them in the distance to a certain extent, but the last 2 times I was literally 10 metres away before I saw them and if you were over the limit, you were gone. I was under both time, I think/hope.

I was driving on a stretch of road today from Co Clare to Co Galway, just before the Crusheen exit. And right under a road sign but out of sight to the eye, there was the speed van. I think and hope the speed limit there is 120km, I was doing about 110km per hour.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

They're painted to look reflective but the material isn't actually reflective, unlike the Garda speed vans (and regular vans). With the extended dusk hours, it's a lot harder to see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

So you were 10 metres away before you saw a big van.

That's some pretty awful driving. Hopefully it'll happen to you a few times and you'll be off the road before long, making them a small bit safer for everyone else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,299 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i dunno, and i'm sure the OP will confirm, but i have a sneaking suspicion that the OP did not see it *as a speed van* until right on top of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

Hurrache wrote: »

That's some pretty awful driving. Hopefully it'll happen to you a few times and you'll be off the road before long, making them a small bit safer for everyone else.

Stop being a clown. I'm driving over 20 years and not one penalty point.

Yes 10 metres, about 36 feet. Read the thread title about impressive camouflage. They have the vans positioned very well.

You really come across as a foolish person who can't read a thread properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

but the last 2 times I was literally 10 metres away before I saw them and if you were over the limit, you were gone.

Is this not a good thing. There are less of a deterient if those over the limit had time to slow down when they seem them.

• Advertisement

i dunno, and i'm sure the OP will confirm, but i have a sneaking suspicion that the OP did not see it *as a speed van* until right on top of it.

I didn't see it at all. The slight bend in the road and right under a sign. If anyone knows the stretch I'm talking about they will confirm.

Is this not a good thing. There are less of a deterient if those over the limit had time to slow down when they seem them.

I never said whether this was a good or bad thing. The thread was just how well they are camouflage/hiding the vans lately.

As I said, I'm driving over 20 years and not one point, so far. But I just thought there were supposed to be in full view, maybe I'm wrong on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Stop being a clown. I'm driving over 20 years and not one penalty point.

Yes 10 metres, about 36 feet. Read the thread title about impressive camouflage. They have the vans positioned very well.

You really come across as a foolish person who can't read a thread properly.

I'd rather have issues with reading (which I don't), than having obvious issues with reading the road.

You saw both speed vans, knew they were speed vans when you saw them, you weren't speeding. So what's your issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I'd rather have issues with reading (which I don't), than having obvious issues with reading the road.

Have a read of your opening post and try realise how stupid your complaint is.
    Yeah. That one didn’t work out for you. You might as well stop digging.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Are there roads in Ireland that have a 120 kmh limit that aren't motorways?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

But I just thought there were supposed to be in full view, maybe I'm wrong on that.

That was the speel/ spin put on it originally, a visual deterrent. But I suppose the way these things work is that figures are needed in order to justify the operation. And if you need to boost your figures then you have to be a bit more proactive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭RederthanRed

WTF? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Pkiernan wrote: »

Yes, the N40 (south ring) in Cork springs to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

N1 north of Dundalk is 120 kmh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

And there are roads that look and feels like motorways but with lower speeds limits
    limerick to around bunratty (that stretch anyway)
    The M1 to the airport north bound
    and the n7?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,299 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

and a small stretch on the N2 just north of finglas, IIRC.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    That was the speel/ spin put on it originally, a visual deterrent. But I suppose the way these things work is that figures are needed in order to justify the operation. And if you need to boost your figures then you have to be a bit more proactive?
    nothing to do with figures. speed vans are pretty bloody useless if people have plenty of warning to slow down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Gravelly wrote: »
    Yes, the N40 (south ring) in Cork springs to mind.
    The only section of the N40 that has a 120 km/h limit is the bit between the Curraheen and Poulavone junctions - after that it becomes the N22 heading West.

The N25 is 120 km/h from Dunkettle to Carrigtohill

• Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Yes. Camoflauge.

GN4_DAT_10234095.jpg--garda_speed_vans_to_monitor_60kph_speed_limit_at_kildare_motorway_roadworks_from_next_week.jpg

bualadh bos to TheChizler, he knows how to post a picture on boards lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

nothing to do with figures. speed vans are pretty bloody useless if people have plenty of warning to slow down.

?Really? I distinctly recall when speed vans and signage were first installed that the RSA and Gardai were at pains to say that the objective was primarily to be a visual deterrent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

TheChizler wrote: »
    Yes. Camoflauge.

GN4_DAT_10234095.jpg--garda_speed_vans_to_monitor_60kph_speed_limit_at_kildare_motorway_roadworks_from_next_week.jpg

Why did you post a picture of an empty road?

BarryD2 wrote: »
    ?Really? I distinctly recall when speed vans and signage were first installed that the RSA and Gardai were at pains to say that the objective was primarily to be a visual deterrent.
    as i said, pretty bloody useless.
    all that means that if you can't see them, it's safe to speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

To be fair - if you are watching out for them they are easy to spot well in advance - day or night

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If they are in a dangerous location would it not be safer if they are highly visible and catch zero people, therefore reducing the risk at the location, instead of having people going too fast and catching loads. Wouldn't a speed trap that catches zero offenders be more effective than one that catches loads of people speeding?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Del2005 wrote: »
    If they are in a dangerous location would it not be safer if they are highly visible and catch zero people, therefore reducing the risk at the location, instead of having people going too fast and catching loads. Wouldn't a speed trap that catches zero offenders be more effective than one that catches loads of people speeding?

I think people need to own their actions. It wasnt the camera, whether or not you see it, that had the throttle down in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭laotg

and a small stretch on the N2 just north of finglas, IIRC.

Nope. The 120 kmh signs mark the beginning of the motorway M2.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

McCrack wrote: »
    To be fair - if you are watching out for them they are easy to spot well in advance - day or night

There was one on the M50 southbound on the 120kph bit over the weekend that was only visible when you were within a couple of seconds of it.

Not a concern as I was under the speed limit, but there was absolutely no way you'd be able to lose 20kph before getting blipped.

I don't speed these days, but when I was caught about 15 years ago in the UK doing 99mph in a 60mph limit I was got by an officer with a laser tripod from 480m away. You'd need to be superman to spot that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

they don't park them so as they are hard to see, in actual fact they find it hard to find locations that fit the criteria where they can park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

Lumen wrote: »
    There was one on the M50 southbound on the 120kph bit over the weekend that was only visible when you were within a couple of seconds of it.

Not a concern as I was under the speed limit, but there was absolutely no way you'd be able to lose 20kph before getting blipped.

I don't speed these days, but when I was caught about 15 years ago in the UK doing 99mph in a 60mph limit I was got by an officer with a laser tripod from 480m away. You'd need to be superman to spot that.

They are not magical apparitions

They are vans with very distinctive and reflective markings parked at the side of the road

If you keep your eye focused along and far down the left side of the road you will spot them well in advance

Advertisement