Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tokyo 2020 Qualifying. Athletes to watch

• 11-01-2019 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭

With qualifying open for some events can people advise on athletes to follow on social media and elsewhere.

I'm listening to Scullion's podcast documenting his journey and it's fascinating.

Also, who to look out for in July when other events open.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

Just came on to echo Scullion. Really enjoying the podcast as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭Duanington

For the marathon men I suppose we're looking at Scullion, Pollock, Seaward, Clohisey, Sean Hehir? I'm not sure Dave Flynn is quite in amongst it yet

Women, I assume Lizzy Lee will give it a crack, Laura Graham, don't think Fionulla is back at it yet, anyone else...?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

The american based lad who runs the ultras. He might feature. Think he did a 2:19 debut, forget his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Limpy wrote: »
    The american based lad who runs the ultras. He might feature. Think he did a 2:19 debut, forget his name.

As Irish as you'll get, Paddy O Leary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭Duanington

OOnegative wrote: »

Yes, forgot about that lad - there's a IMRA lad that I run with a bit that has been singing Paddy's praises for a while now, apparently he's targetting the qualifying time too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭AhhHere

Paddy came 9th in the Hong Kong 100km this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

AhhHere wrote: »
    Paddy came 9th in the Hong Kong 100km this weekend.

That's a quality placement in a very high quality field.
    But sadly the 100k is not an Olympic event!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

2.14 for Scullion in Huston today, super run, finished 10th

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lazare

What difference if any will Scullion's result today make to Mick Clohissy's London prep or target?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Lazare wrote: »
    What difference if any will Scullion's result today make to Mick Clohissy's London prep or target?
    None I would say. Mick will approach London looking for his best ever performance same as he does in any target race. It possibly puts a bit more pressure on all the other likely candidates but that can be motivating and is part of sport at thathe level.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

These are the people who are nearly deadcerts or who have a chance if they make a breakthrough and if the standards are similar to Rio

100/200m:

Leon Reid
    Gina Apke-Moses
    Phil Healy
    Patience Jumbo Gula
    Ciara Neville
    Marcus Lawlor
    Rhadisat Adekele
    Sharlene Mawdsley

400m:

Phil Healy
    Davicia Patterson
    Brian Gregan

800m:

Mark English
    Ciara Everard
    Sarah Healy
    Siofra Cleirigh-Buttner
    Claire Mooney
    Dean Cronin
    Zack Curran

1500m:

Ciara Mageann
    Sarah Healy
    Paul Robinson

Marathon:

Stephen Scullion
    Fionnuala McCormack
    Kevin Seaward
    Lizzie Lee
    Mick Clohissey
    Emma Mitchell
    Kevin Batt
    Sean Hehir
    Paul Pollock
    Breege Connolly
    Sergiu Ciobanu
    Gladys Ganiel
    Catriona Jennings
    Gary O'Hanlon
    Mark Kirwan
    Claire McCarthy
    Laura Graham
    And on and on

110mH:

Ben Reynolds

400mH:

Thomas Barr

3000m Steeple:

Michelle Finn
    Sara Treacy
    Kerry O'Flaherty

High Jump:

Sommer Lecky

20/50k Walks:

Alex Wright
    Cian McManamon
    Brendan Boyce

A few other very good young athletes out there too now who are a good bit off but might be in the mix in a year and a half.

Paul Pollock on Twitter is questioning if Stephen's Houston race this weekend counts towards qualification. I think he's saying it's only certain races before june that count - but I might be completely wrong. Bit over my head if someone knows any more? https://twitter.com/ppmarathon/status/1087025235000520706

Would this mean Stephen would have to go again later this year for a similar time?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭spc78

AhhHere wrote: »

Would this mean Stephen would have to go again later this year for a similar time?

I think Paul has misunderstood the wording (which is worrying - Athletics Ireland should surely have informed all Irish Possibles of the exact means of qualification??)

I believe 'exceptional' performance IS the meeting of the qualifying standard - however I don't believe the standards have been set yet? (but I would be surprised if its set faster than 2:16:00). And the window for the marathon opened 1st January, so scullions time counts.

The 'world ranking' means of qualifying is not something that is likely to apply to Irish marathoners. To qualify for the marathon you need to be faster than the Olympic qualifying standard (not set yet - but assume 2:16:00 as thats whats set for Doha) and be one of the top 3 Irish.

I can't see 3 people beating Scullions time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

It's a bit weird that Pollock doesn't know, the document is clear
    Qualification period:  10,000m, Marathon, Race Walks and Combined Events: from 1 January 2019 to 29 June 2020

and later in the document
    1 January 2019 Start of the qualification period for 10,000m, Marathon, Race Walk, Combined Events and Relays.
    1 July 2019 Start of the qualification period for all other events.
    1 November 2019 IAAF to confirm the entry standards for all events. The standards will be distributed to all NOCs and NFs.

... so the entry standards have not yet been set

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

El CabaIIo wrote: »
    These are the people who are nearly deadcerts or who have a chance if they make a breakthrough and if the standards are similar to Rio

100/200m:

Leon Reid
    Gina Apke-Moses
    Phil Healy
    Patience Jumbo Gula
    Ciara Neville
    Marcus Lawlor
    Rhadisat Adekele
    Sharlene Mawdsley

400m:

Phil Healy
    Davicia Patterson
    Brian Gregan

800m:

Mark English
    Ciara Everard
    Sarah Healy
    Siofra Cleirigh-Buttner
    Claire Mooney
    Dean Cronin
    Zack Curran

1500m:

Ciara Mageann
    Sarah Healy
    Paul Robinson

Marathon:

Stephen Scullion
    Fionnuala McCormack
    Kevin Seaward
    Lizzie Lee
    Mick Clohissey
    Emma Mitchell
    Kevin Batt
    Sean Hehir
    Paul Pollock
    Breege Connolly
    Sergiu Ciobanu
    Gladys Ganiel
    Catriona Jennings
    Gary O'Hanlon
    Mark Kirwan
    Claire McCarthy
    Laura Graham
    And on and on

110mH:

Ben Reynolds

400mH:

Thomas Barr

3000m Steeple:

Michelle Finn
    Sara Treacy
    Kerry O'Flaherty

High Jump:

Sommer Lecky

20/50k Walks:

Alex Wright
    Cian McManamon
    Brendan Boyce

A few other very good young athletes out there too now who are a good bit off but might be in the mix in a year and a half.

Not too many dead certs in there I’m afraid.

Most of the track athletes above are highly unlikely to qualify.

I suspect we’ll have 6-8 athletes on the track/field to make it (excluding relays, which are a stretch too).

The 800m has some 500-1 shots in there to be honest.

Sorry for being so pessimistic but for the most part we were shocking at European level last year, and the step up to global level is significant.

It also might be a bit too soon for our young talent, but hopefully a couple of them can make it. Would be great experience for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fishy21

Chivito550 wrote: »

I suspect we’ll have 6-8 athletes on the track/field to make it (excluding relays, which are a stretch too).

Sorry for being so pessimistic but for the most part we were shocking at European level last year, and the step up to global level is significant.

It also might be a bit too soon for our young talent, but hopefully a couple of them can make it. Would be great experience for them.

I tend to agree. Simply qualifying for most of those athletes would be a great achievement.

But hopefully their development over the next year increases.

Chivito550 wrote: »

Yeah I know but that's a list of people who are in the hunt going off the Rio standard and are people to watch.

The deadcerts really are the marathoners, walkers, Reid, Mageann but that's if the standards arre the same

spc78 wrote: »
    I think Paul has misunderstood the wording (which is worrying - Athletics Ireland should surely have informed all Irish Possibles of the exact means of qualification??)

I believe 'exceptional' performance IS the meeting of the qualifying standard - however I don't believe the standards have been set yet? (but I would be surprised if its set faster than 2:16:00). And the window for the marathon opened 1st January, so scullions time counts.

The 'world ranking' means of qualifying is not something that is likely to apply to Irish marathoners. To qualify for the marathon you need to be faster than the Olympic qualifying standard (not set yet - but assume 2:16:00 as thats whats set for Doha) and be one of the top 3 Irish.

I can't see 3 people beating Scullions time.

Sorry I deleted my post but I wanted to clear things up. It appears that "exceptional performances" entry standard will be top-10 fastest in the World that year going by flotrack and theiir source for what was originally planned for Doha(so as to help young up and coming athletes and injured athletes who didn't reach the quota). It will be used where an athlete couldn't compete enough to qualify by World ranking. So everyone outside of the top 10 performances in a year will be qualifying by Ranking.

https://www.flotrack.org/articles/6266921-iaaf-walks-back-world-rankings-restores-usual-qualifying-system-for-2019

For anyone outside those parameters, One fast time performance won't guarantee anything looking at this. 

https://worldrankings-staging.aws.ia...e=world&page=1

I then presume that if they want the field to be 100, they will take the top 3 ranked from each country or whoever is inside that rank and they will qualify. Half marathons will also count towards ranking points and the higher quality races with Gold labels and ranks of competitors in races will be used to distribute points. From what I've heard, athletes will be designated a label just like races. i.e

Platinum athlete
    Gold athlete
    Silver athlete
    Bronze athlete

The more athletes of platinum label in the race, the higher the ranking points will be. So if Scullion for instance doesn't race again, it would be conceivable that he could have less ranking points than 3 other athletes and not qualify. The window for rankings appears to be 2 years as you can see Mo Farah is still ranked number 1 in the 10000m despite not running a track race in 17 months and he is only 8th in the marathon after winning Chicago and a 3rd in London, the guys who run a lot of half marathons are also ahead of him.

It's an extremely convulted process by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Some will have heard of him, see Ciaran Faherty is possibly targeting 2.15 at the Tokyo Marathon on March 3rd. He’s originally from the west of Ireland but living in New Zealand now. His current PB is 2.21.xx from what I can find, so it’s a massive step up.

• Advertisement

Some will have heard of him, see Ciaran Faherty is possibly targeting 2.15 at the Tokyo Marathon on March 3rd. He’s originally from the west of Ireland but living in New Zealand now. His current PB is 2.21.xx from what I can find, so it’s a massive step up.

Isn't that the guy that was posting here a while back before running Limerick?

El CabaIIo wrote: »
    Isn't that the guy that was posting here a while back before running Limerick?

That’s the chap alright, he won the Limerick Half that year I think?

Edit: Was wrong, only 3rd in 2017.

That’s the chap alright, he won the Limerick Half that year I think?

I just checked up there, Kevin Maunsell won it with Ciaran in second in 68:30.

Good read. Strange headline. Can't help but compare hime to Scullion as I'm listening to his podcast. Flynn says he thinks anyone who's married isn't really a full time runner. Sounds like he's going head first into training and putting all his focus on it. Leaving everything else aside.

Why I mention Scullion is he talked about doing this in previous training session but it was healthy for him in the long run. His coach or psychologist (can't remember which) asked him to rate different aspects of his life out of ten. His relationship with partners and family was low so he worked on improving them. He now finds having a more balanced approach to training and not letting it consume and define him helps him prepare mentally and ultimately perform better.

Two different approaches and likely competitors for Tokyo. Interesting to see how each of them do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Its incredible how crap this funding is ....7 or 8 athletes benefit.
    Sad in this day and age we do not support our athletes.

Its incredible how crap this funding is ....7 or 8 athletes benefit.
    Sad in this day and age we do not support our athletes.

I always assumed they got the amount quoted but Ciara Mageean was on Newstalk yesterday. She said they pay tax on the amount as well so in reality they get a lot less than quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Exactly wrote: »
    I always assumed they got the amount quoted but Ciara Mageean was on Newstalk yesterday. She said they pay tax on the amount as well so in reality they get a lot less than quoted.

Well they only pay tax if they are registered as living in Ireland. Now if the athlete
    stays in Ireland they get a nice tax sum back after retirement.

If they decide to train in another country they don't pay tax on the grant but lose out on the tax sum after retirement.

Think that's how it works.

2.18.47 for Ciaran In the early hours this morning in Tokyo, came strong in the second half of the race in atrocious weather conditions a big PB to boot. Time maybe a way outside what will go to Tokyo next year but he has another shot now to run another marathon in better weather conditions.

Edit: He was first sub-elite also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

OOnegative wrote:
    2.18.47 for Ciaran In the early hours this morning in Tokyo, came strong in the second half of the race in atrocious weather conditions a big PB to boot. Time maybe a way outside what will go to Tokyo next year but he has another shot now to run another marathon in better weather conditions.

Do you have to get the app to search for specific athlete?

Advertisement