Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

National Hurling League 2019 Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

With the change in the structure of the league in 2020, will there be as much bite between the teams in 1A this year, particularly at round 4 or 5. Will the relegation play off still go ahead?

For what it's worth, Clare or tipp to make a big impression in the league. Doubt my own county (Galway) will do too much tbh - they'll be Missing a host of players for the vast majority of the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,711 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Allianz Hurling Leagues in 2019 to be run on the same basis as in 2018. From 2020 onwards, Allianz Hurling League Division 1 to be structured as follows:

Division 1 – Group A

1st Placed team 2019 Div 1A

4th Placed team 2019 Div 1A

Winner of Div 1A relegation play-off

2nd placed team 2019 Div 1B

3rd placed team 2019 Div 1B

Promoted Div 2A team

Division 1 – Group B

2nd placed team 2019 Div 1A

3rd placed team 2019 Div 1A

Loser of Div 1A relegation play off

1st Placed team 2019 Div 1B

4th placed team 2019 Div 1B

5th placed team 2019 Div 1B

– Groups to run on a two year cycle (2020, 2021)

– To be redrawn for 2022 and every two years thereafter based on formula above (“5th placed team Div 1B” to change to “Relegation final winners” for this purpose).

– Relegation from 2020 onwards to be after Relegation Play-Off between bottom placed team in Group A and Group B.

– Winner of Div 2A final is promoted annually to replace relegated team . 1st placed team in each group to advance directly to Allianz Hurling League Semi Final 2nd and 3rd placed teams from each group to meet in “crossover” quarter finals (2nd 1A v 3rd 1B and 3rd 1A v 2nd 1B).

Looking at that why still play the 1A relegation playoff This year ???

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭puzl

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Looking at that why still play the 1A relegation playoff This year ???

To decide which of the teams goes into 1a and 1b. It doesn't matter that much but it's still a competitive match against another decent team.

When the rounds end and the teams go off to their quarter finals I expect 5th and 6th place will enjoy the opportunity to go at each other for a chance to correct whatever problems resulted in them being last or second last in 1a.

puzl wrote: »
    To decide which of the teams goes into 1a and 1b. It doesn't matter that much but it's still a competitive match against another decent team.

When the rounds end and the teams go off to their quarter finals I expect 5th and 6th place will enjoy the opportunity to go at each other for a chance to correct whatever problems resulted in them being last or second last in 1a.

From 2020 don't think here is 1A and 1B just Division 1 Group A and Group B

But I agree with you on still playing it too get another competitive game in too end the league campaign

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

There's an hour long preview of the Allianz Football and Hurling Leagues on Eir Sport 1 tonight at 8.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

I thought there was no relegation or promotion this year in the league.

Damien Lawlor is on about Galway and Waterford trying to get back to 1A.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

Any pools this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Damien Lawlor is on about Galway and Waterford trying to get back to 1A.

Doubt Galway will be too pushed tbh - a raft of players club tied, not in the country etc. Waterford to go up. I'd say.

I'll be interested to see how Eddie Brennan gets on in laois

RMAOK wrote: »
    Doubt Galway will be too pushed tbh - a raft of players club tied, not in the country etc. Waterford to go up. I'd say.

Waterford missing a good few players too

Dublin could be a good bet for promotion (1st in 1B gets into grp B In 2020 if the new system goes through)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

RMAOK wrote: »

Yeah the two Cooneys, David, Eanna Burke, and Fintan Burke (St Thomas's) along with Gearoid McInerney and Niall Burke (Oranmore) all club tied. That's 3 starters from last year's final plus Niall Burke (who played a big role off the bench in the last two finals, and started a good few games last year).

What's the injury situation like?

Limerick have a small advantage as they have had the biggest break between seasons as every other AI winning team with the new calender

11 starters this Sunday from the AI winning side. They mean business

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

1A or 1B are little different for the top 9 who are going to be in one or the other regardless and who will also have at least one play off game. 1B is utterly predictable. Offaly, Laois and Carlow will be fighting relegation and Galway Waterford and Dublin for promotion to extent that bothers any of them and I suspect it doesn't really. All three are in a bit of a transition so will be continuing to try out new players and ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Wicklow are in Dublin airport at the moment waiting on a flight over to play Warwickshire at 3pm today. That's a ****ing joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

**** off Colm Lyons you useless ref. Hurling is going to be ruined from now on.

The bookings on Duggan and heffernen as well were a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭caddy16

**** off Colm Lyons you useless ref. Hurling is going to be ruined from now on.

The bookings on Duggan and heffernen as well were a joke.

Not a surprise, he's a terrible ref

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Tommy Walsh isn't half annoying on commentary

Yeah he is a bit OTT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

He's a proper tool, genuinely said he didn't see Peter duggan come on, at least we are all getting a history on Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭booterboy

Tommy Walsh is magical on commentary tonight,pure gold.
    Huge knowledge of all the Tipp and Clare players,the man should be on RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Shockingly one sided reffing in this game. Yellow cards being given out for very little especially to Clare players. Open season on Conlan at the other side.

Haha, the ref even got the wrong man there. McCarthy should have got the second yellow. Lyons is pathetically bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Shouldn't be any hurling in January

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Bonniedog wrote: »
    1A or 1B are little different for the top 9 who are going to be in one or the other regardless and who will also have at least one play off game. 1B is utterly predictable. Offaly, Laois and Carlow will be fighting relegation and Galway Waterford and Dublin for promotion to extent that bothers any of them and I suspect it doesn't really. All three are in a bit of a transition so will be continuing to try out new players and ideas.

No promotion or relegation this year I thought due to the restructured league next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

JeffKenna wrote: »
    No promotion or relegation this year I thought due to the restructured league next year?

So it seems, but there are still quarter finals as in last few years I think?

There will still in any event have to be relegation and promotion form 1B to make up the new league 1, I assume although trying to assume anything with the interfering nothing-better-to-do-with-themselves committee men is a waste of time as football rule changes prove :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

Was in Thurles last night, good win for Tipp in terrible conditions. Callanan looking very fit which was great to see. Jake Morriss impressive also. Just watched Limerick Wexford there, very scrappy. Wexford really struggled to work the ball forward. Not sure they're going anywhere under Davy. Having said that they were unlucky not to get something from the game for a finish. Any thoughts on the red cards??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Red cards were a bit harsh, but things were heating up at the time and Horgan decided to nip it in the bud. Obviously following a directive for the league regarding high tackles and the handpass. Overall, I thought Horgan had a very good game.
    But come championship time even yellow cards would hardly be brandished for something like this, same goes for Tony Kelly's challenge last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

I'd love to see a heat map for county games at present, huge amount of congestion around the middle in Thurles last night and it seemed similar in Nowlan Park and Wexford Park today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Derek McGrath's been on some diet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

Patww79 wrote: »
    Derek McGrath's been on some diet.

Didn't recognise him at first :D

Advertisement