Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

38kWh Ioniq

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Range is nice but 118bhp

Needed a good power increase

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Ah Jasus, just bought the 28kWh one last week ;)

I wonder what the upgrade cost on a 191 28kWh for the 201 38kWh would be... Hmmmm??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Press release from Hyundai here

https://www.hyundai.news/eu/model-news/new-2019-hyundai-ioniq-hybrid-and-plug-in-maximise-connectivity/

Describes hybrid and PHEV but one would imagine relevant upgrades will apply to electric also.

Liking the optional 10.25" infotainment display!

Considering there will be an emergency call function a built-in sim is going to be installed. So I wonder will we see a fully functioning app for the electric version?

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Ah Jasus, just bought the 28kWh one last week ;)

I wonder what the upgrade cost on a 191 28kWh for the 201 38kWh would be... Hmmmm??

Don't fret

For sure it's going to be 5k more expensive and no scrappage

• Registered Users Posts: 33,553 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Don't fret

Why no scrappage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Don't fret

I'd hope they wouldn't scrap my 191 :eek: :p

listermint wrote: »
    Why no scrappage

They won't do scrappage on a new model like this imo

Like the Kona 64kWh

I would guess this model will be 33k, Kona 38k

Slots in nicely

BigAl81 wrote: »
    I'd hope they wouldn't scrap my 191 :eek: :p

Its not a Leaf 😂

They won't do scrappage on a new model like this imo

Like the Kona 64kWh

I would guess this model will be 33k, Kona 38k

Slots in nicely

They did scrappage on the original ioniq. So that dispels your guess.

Times have changed

Wanna bet?

• Advertisement

I hope they do btw and would love if it's priced similar

Ioniq is the best affordable EV out there

With this upgrade its a Limerick to Dublin motorway cruiser @ 120

Will be my poor man's Tesla if if price is 30k or below :)

Anyone know German?

https://youtu.be/lqMcFkPsaXI

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

Anyone know German?

https://youtu.be/lqMcFkPsaXI

If you turn on subtitles, then go into Settings you can Auto-Translate them to English, works quite well actually!

I'd be surprised if the new Ioniq went up by €5k, Leaf40 didn't really increase from Leaf30 or Leaf30 from Leaf24. I can see a 50/60kWh Ioniq being that €5k more expensive, but I'd assume the upgrade to 40kWh is just battery tech improvements. Right?

Times have changed

Wanna bet?

Why would I bet.

Plenty of manufacturers offer scrappage and yes times have changed brexit is on the way and shock to the EU economy too. Dealers aren't having a fabulous time at the moment either

Why would I bet.

Plenty of manufacturers offer scrappage and yes times have changed brexit is on the way and shock to the EU economy too. Dealers aren't having a fabulous time at the moment either

Your right

Bet was stupid thing to say

We will see, hopefully they will do scrappage and Nissan follow with Leaf scrappage etc

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Just a 10kWh increase, disappointing, just as disappointing as the L30 to L40, we should be making greater strides than that, this car was crying for a larger battery, 64 would be just super range

slave1 wrote: »
    Just a 10kWh increase, disappointing, just as disappointing as the L30 to L40, we should be making greater strides than that, this car was crying for a larger battery, 64 would be just super range

I wouldn't go that far

It will still do 280km regional roads and 225km on the motorway all year

If it's the same price that's unrivalled

Leaf62 won't do much better at motorway speeds

I am just disappointed it's still 118bhp

That's pathetic, especially as it will be heavier with the bigger battery

150bhp motor from the Kona 39kWh would have been perfect

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I get your point but I'm waiting on a second EV for the household and a 40+ Ioniq would do it, if it was a 64 then range would likely be at the 350km motorway/450km regional/town which is game changer territory.
    I38 with 225km motorway just would not get me to Dublin and back on a single charge which is a personal benchmark

slave1 wrote: »
    I get your point but I'm waiting on a second EV for the household and a 40+ Ioniq would do it, if it was a 64 then range would likely be at the 350km motorway/450km regional/town which is game changer territory.
    I38 with 225km motorway just would not get me to Dublin and back on a single charge which is a personal benchmark

I know it is annoying

Tech is there now

Batteries are at something like €120/kWh

It should only cost 3.5k more to get Ioniq from 28kWh to 60kWh

No

They'll charge us 10k more for the tiny Kona

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

I know it is annoying

Tech is there now

Batteries are at something like €120/kWh

It should only cost 3.5k more to get Ioniq from 28kWh to 60kWh

No

They'll charge us 10k more for the tiny Kona

I agree, the upgrade path is intentionally constrained to maximise revenue from both EVs and legacy ICEs and hybrids.

If or when we get a 60-70kWH car with sufficient space and adequate range for our tiny island, with good a good charging network and standardisation, AND the ability to swap battery packs in 7 years at a cost of circa €4000 (presuming lowering costs), THEN the car market is as good as dead as that car will run immaculately for 10-20 years with care and there is no imperative to change for minor efficiency upgrades.

It will be like current PC sales, as all our office crap and internet games will work with fast PCs from 2009+. I build my own PCs and do so with less and less frequency as years go on, as there are so few bottlenecks.

Their only saviour will be aggressive styling aiding fashion changes (e.g. current obsession with crossover 'fiestas'...) , autonomous driving tech, and minor upgrades to drivetrain technology (e.g. the bumps in power).

• Advertisement

If or when we get a 60-70kWH car with sufficient space and adequate range for our tiny island, with good a good charging network and standardisation, AND the ability to swap battery packs in 7 years at a cost of circa €4000 (presuming lowering costs), THEN the car market is as good as dead as that car will run immaculately for 10-20 years with care and there is no imperative to change for minor efficiency upgrades.

It will be like current PC sales, as all our office crap and internet games will work with fast PCs from 2009+. I build my own PCs and do so with less and less frequency as years go on, as there are so few bottlenecks.

Their only saviour will be aggressive styling aiding fashion changes (e.g. current obsession with crossover 'fiestas'...) , autonomous driving tech, and minor upgrades to drivetrain technology (e.g. the bumps in power).

That's a pretty good analogy

As a gamer I don't know why I didn't think of it :pac:

Everyone can see big auto are being dragged kicking and screaming into EV's, they don't want it and who can blame them

Good times will be over for a lot of them and job losses ( especially in Germany will catastrophic )

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The charging network is already standardised, Type 2 for AC charging and CCS for Rapid DC charging. Nissan is the only real holdover with their use of CHAdeMO.

There will be a market for battery servicing, but initial battery degradation projections proved to be overly conservative.
    Once of the causes of battery degradation is the no. of charge cycles, a 60kWh car with a 20kWh/100km efficency would cover 300,000km in 1,000 cycles. The average Irish driver would need 17.5 years to get their car to that distance, meaning that an average car will never need a battery replacement, though may require maintenance on some individual cells.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The battery cells on the new Ioniq will be interesting.

Ioniq 28kWh has 96 cell pairs = 192 cells : 2 * 39Ah = 78Ah : 96 * 3.75V = 360V : 86Ah * 360V = 28.1kWh
    Kona 64kWh has 96 cell triplets = 288 cells : 3 * 60Ah = 180Ah : 96 * 3.7V = 355.2V : 180Ah * 355.2V = 63.9kWh
    Kona 39.2kWh has 90 cell pairs = 180 cells : 2 * 60Ah = 120Ah : 90 * 3.63V = 327V : 120Ah * 327V = 39.2kWh

If they do use the 60Ah cells from LG, I can't see how they can do it without dropping the pack voltage which will have a negative impact on the charging speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Ok so what does current Ioniq do at 100km and 120km? what range I mean.....

Everyone trying to get the jump on VW

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Ok so what does current Ioniq do at 100km and 120km? what range I mean.....

Everyone trying to get the jump on VW

Roughly 200km at 100km/h, 170km at 120km/h for me -- your mileage may vary 😉

Roughly 200km at 100km/h, 170km at 120km/h for me -- your mileage may vary ��

So kWh per 100km is what 12? 14? I know I should be able to do maths but brain is dead

• Registered Users Posts: 64,688 ✭✭✭✭unkel

So kWh per 100km is what 12? 14? I know I should be able to do maths but brain is dead

At 100km/h about 14kWh/100km

28kWh capacity / (14kWh/100km) = 200km range :)

unkel wrote: »
    At 100km/h about 14kWh/100km

28kWh capacity / (14kWh/100km) = 200km range :)

100km is for old people

120km is all I am interested in :P

• Registered Users Posts: 64,688 ✭✭✭✭unkel

150-190km range at 120km/h depending on the temps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

100km is for old people

120km is all I am interested in :P

Poster goes on ignore list :D

Advertisement