Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Was thinking of an Xbox one S, but PS4 is nice to.

• 18-01-2019 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

I was about to buy the PS4 Slim today but then started looking at the Xbox one S and I didn't know it could do 4K gaming.... I always owned playstations but the Xbox one S has confused my judgement and now I don't know what to get.

I usually jailbreak my consoles, can the Xbox be jailbroken? Is there much of a third party community for jailbroken Xbox's?

I like the idea that I can play 4K games and content on the Xbox, I like that alot. Makes me think the PS4 slim is sort of old now..

The PS4 Slim is 299, the Xbox one S is 279....

Ahhh dunno what to do :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,247 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Get what you think you'll use more. Look through what games and services interest you and make your decision that way, we cant tell you what to buy.

Personally i have a PS4 Pro and i use it WAY more than my Xbox One.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,794 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The PS4 slim is what I'd go for. It has a better library of games and runs games better than the One S. The PS4 slim would be more powerful than the One S.

The One S will play 4K blu rays and such but will not run games in 4K.

As for jailbreaking either, you should pay for your games like everyone else. You'll get no help with that here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,217 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I was about to buy the PS4 Slim today but then started looking at the Xbox one S and I didn't know it could do 4K gaming.... I always owned playstations but the Xbox one S has confused my judgement and now I don't know what to get.

I usually jailbreak my consoles, can the Xbox be jailbroken? Is there much of a third party community for jailbroken Xbox's?

I like the idea that I can play 4K games and content on the Xbox, I like that alot. Makes me think the PS4 slim is sort of old now..

The PS4 Slim is 299, the Xbox one S is 279....

Ahhh dunno what to do :(

Neither the Xbox One S nor the PS4 Slim play games in true 4K. They upscale 1080p games to 4K. Only the Xbox One X and the PS4 Pro play 4k games, with the Xbox One X being the more powerful of the two and having more true 4k games.

The Xbox One S can play 4k video content like 4k blurays and 4k Netflix, but this doesn't extend to the games.

In terms of both cost and performance, it goes Xbox One X - PS4 Pro - PS4 Slim - Xbox One S (with the last two being pretty evenly matched for the most part, though the PS4 Slim doesn't play 4k blurays).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

It's one of those questions that divides the internet. The reality is if you like gaming you're not going to regret the decision either way. You may leave a wake of death and destruction looking for an answer however.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The PS4 slim is what I'd go for. It has a better library of games and runs games better than the One S. The PS4 slim would be more powerful than the One S.

The One S will play 4K blu rays and such but will not run games in 4K.

As for jailbreaking either, you should pay for your games like everyone else. You'll get no help with that here.

I used jailbreak on my old PS3 to backup games to the hard disk. I always pay for my games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,794 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You can ask in console modding but don't think there's a way for now and it's a good way to get banned from the online services if there is a way.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You can ask in console modding but don't think there's a way for now and it's a good way to get banned from the online services if there is a way.

This is what I was thinking. As the current gen consoles connected to the internet are talking to servers all of the time, your console will be banned if caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Rob2D wrote: »

Too expensive lol, I'm poor so a console will have to do hohohoho.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Ps4, way more decent exclusive back catalogue than xbox I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 175 ✭✭jimjimjimmy

I've bought both a PS4 Pro and Xbox One S in the last 5 months, having not gamed for a couple of years.

Honestly I prefer the Xbox One S, even though it only cost me half of what the PS4 Pro did.

Xbox Game Pass is much better than Playstation now, better library plus new Xbox exclusives the day they launch. You can download all games including 360 games, PS Now only allows streaming of PS3 games, which is not very smooth at times.

I prefer the Xbox interface, switching between apps and games is faster, easier to turn off controller when watching Netflix or Prime.

I think the xbox controller is more comfortable and natural to hold, triggers have more feel for shooters or racers.

Playstation does have much better exclusives and it's worth the price just to play Spider Man alone.

4K is not an issue as I don't have a 4K TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,789 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If money is tight an S and Game Pass would keep you entertained for a long time.

You can get an 1TB One S for £190 on Amazon and 12 month Game Pass comes up every few weeks for about €55-€60

Edit: Game Pass is €57 on CD Keys at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Thing about PC is that you have a GIGANTIC back catalogue of cheap/free games to play, and even new releases can be had for under 40euro by buying from keysites.

e.g. this machine
    https://www.adverts.ie/desktops/dell-optiplex-7020-i5-4590-3-3ghz-8gb-ram-250gb-ssd-amd-rx570-4gb-windows-10-gaming-pc/16649987

Same price as a console.

Just a suggestion :)

Advertisement