Advertisement
MODs please see this information notice in the mod's forum. Thanks!
Boards Golf Society are looking for new members for 2022...read about the society and their planned outings here!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

Werewolf Post Game Feedback Thread

2456727

Comments



  • Necro wrote: »
    Ah look Stu, you're correct in saying we should have clarified at the time of the reveal. As I said in the backroom you guys probably give me too much credit for crazy complexities such as the Gollum/hydra role you devised - I'm jealous of that btw :pac:

    We didn't expect the players to go into deep tunnel mode on what else could be in the game based off Bombadil, so I apologise for that, it's on me primarily.
    fixxxer wrote: »
    Sorry Stu, I'm speaking for the group when I shouldn't.

    I'd been reading background stuff on LotR and saw a few things on Tom that had mentioned a theory that he was (a? The?) God and could have intervened but chose not to. It was fresh in my mind and made perfect sense with what I saw in have.

    Sorry guys, I don't want to convey animosity or conflict here when there's not. It's all good, just offering this in a 'feedback for future games' capacity. As I said in thread at the time, I completely bought the Tom mod post and thought it was a lovely touch for the game. I'm honestly more than happy to leave it that, especially since...

    VILLAGE WON?!?! :eek:

    I mean...the village won, of course we did. As Frank/Gimli, it might seem on the surface that I had a mare of a game, but let me assure you all - I looked into the future at the 14,156,750 different possible outcomes this game of Werewolf had, and in only one of those outcomes the village could win.

    Gimli/Frank protecting Saruman night 1 and then not revealing to save myself from poison on day 2, Frodo not handling the reveal too well and the village attempting to lynch him for it, Legolas shooting villagers early on...it all had to happen in order for the village to get this win.

    Trust me :)

    P.S. Great stuff Teddy and Andy, legends for winning that :D




  • Necro wrote: »
    Yeah they can be viewable on the server, I'm interested in if it might work actually, might be a nice change.

    Only issue for a read back is you'd likely have to scroll all the way to the beginning of each page which might be a pain but it's definitely worth a shot to see how it goes.


    Our ww games are played in public.

    At the moment we enjoy semi privacy on COP, its not public, but open to the community.
    If we use discord it too would be semi private.
    But, to relieve the pain of scrolling back, be could extract the chat to a file, we could share/ archive here on boards, but the chats would be public then.

    https://github.com/Tyrrrz/DiscordChatExporter




  • fixxxer wrote: »
    Re: Discord for backrooms, is there a way to archive or view the rooms for after the game? My guilty pleasure is reading through the backrooms after, so would be a shame to lose that.

    Yep wont be an issue in terms of achieving that. Only issue is that since we will have a couple of different platforms (COP and discord), not all of the game backrooms will be in the 1 spot. Cant be avoided if we are looking at COP alternatives, however.
    Necro wrote: »
    Yeah they can be viewable on the server, I'm interested in if it might work actually, might be a nice change.

    Only issue for a read back is you'd likely have to scroll all the way to the beginning of each page which might be a pain but it's definitely worth a shot to see how it goes.

    We tested it before and it worked well.
    • Mobile friendly as well as being a web app or desktop app
    • Easily setup by game mods
    • Invite/kicking ability is (imo) more straightforward than COP
    • Emojis and gifs more easy to use (instead of thanking a post you can assign an emoji to it (:shower:))
    • Setup & registration is painless
    • Shouldnt have bot issues




  • sKeith wrote: »
    Our ww games are played in public.

    At the moment we enjoy semi privacy on COP, its not public, but open to the community.
    If we use discord it too would be semi private.
    But, to relieve the pain of scrolling back, be could extract the chat to a file, we could share/ archive here on boards, but the chats would be public then.

    https://github.com/Tyrrrz/DiscordChatExporter

    I was thinking we could have a WW GM account that anyone here could access to allow people entry. Similar to what we have for the boards WW GM account.

    Would mean access to any old games would be by (requested) invite only, but that invites were easily got. Do you think that might work?




  • Pter wrote: »
    Yep wont be an issue in terms of achieving that. Only issue is that since we will have a couple of different platforms (COP and discord), not all of the game backrooms will be in the 1 spot. Cant be avoided if we are looking at COP alternatives, however.

    I guess that's where the Wiki comes in :D


  • Advertisement


  • Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo discord was blocked in work over Xmas :(




  • I really enjoyed that game. My only real gripe is work and rl meant I didn’t participate anywhere near as much as I wished I could, but thems the breaks. Some general thoughts:

    1. I loved the majority vote idea. It takes the pressure off for speed days and adds a really interesting element. It also has real potential to be used tactically by any side - in this game a villager voted for themselves to bring down the hammer I think. I’ve seen wolves do the same force a level of momentum.

    2. It struck me at one point In this game just how much the night phase can benefit village. It enables everything from 9.59 reveals to a more reasoned review of the day. I do think it would be useful to try a game with no night posting- might have to be an honor system for a trial but I’d be interesting to see how it played out.

    3. The convert mechanic is really cool. It’s probably more balanced than I expected but still pretty powerful. Still haven’t checked backrroms to see why Sam didn’t join the cult (without becoming nazgul) though

    4. Pretty balanced game overall. It swung on a couple of key moments, and the ring, perhaps appropriately proved the key element. If I was being picky I’d say the rings power should have died fully with Sauron but it’s no biggie either way.




  • If anyone wants access to the discord test server to take a look around, gimme a PM and ill send on an invite.




  • Necro wrote: »
    We were just talking about this, the post rate was very manageable in this game actually which I think made it a better game all round? Note to future self LOL!

    Yeah open voting is something I considered, the issue (as with FFAs) is that if you put down a format for submitting and some people inevitably don't follow it, it might lead to issues in counting the votes. But I'm considering trialling it in the future to see if it works.

    Hard luck btw, I really did think if the vig didn't shoot you this morning you had a massive chance, unfortunately it wasn't to be. You did well! As did all the evil teams tbf.

    Cheers, I needed Vig and wolves to hit a villager I think, can't see myself having survived a lynch and I wasn't killing Vern so may have been peeked either. I was going to claim Boromir this morning but it would have pushed Lego off and the wolves onto me at best. 1 kill away from winning is pretty decent though, I just wish I was as good at spotting wolves when I'm roled good

    Yeah the open voting here would be a bit of a ball's, didn't Shatter and Jayop do it for G2 though?




  • tritium wrote: »
    I really enjoyed that game. My only real gripe is work and rl meant I didn’t participate anywhere near as much as I wished I could, but thems the breaks. Some general thoughts:

    1. I loved the majority vote idea. It takes the pressure off for speed days and adds a really interesting element. It also has real potential to be used tactically by any side - in this game a villager voted for themselves to bring down the hammer I think. I’ve seen wolves do the same force a level of momentum.

    2. It struck me at one point In this game just how much the night phase can benefit village. It enables everything from 9.59 reveals to a more reasoned review of the day. I do think it would be useful to try a game with no night posting- might have to be an honor system for a trial but I’d be interesting to see how it played out.

    3. The convert mechanic is really cool. It’s probably more balanced than I expected but still pretty powerful. Still haven’t checked backrroms to see why Sam didn’t join the cult (without becoming nazgul) though

    4. Pretty balanced game overall. It swung on a couple of key moments, and the ring, perhaps appropriately proved the key element. If I was being picky I’d say the rings power should have died fully with Sauron but it’s no biggie either way.

    Sam put on the ring and thus was immune from any actions that targeted him. Had the seer peeked him he would have got a result - target not found - same as the conversion aspect.

    Rings powers were dead with one final usage, but you might be right in regards to it dying with Sauron. Would have made canonical sense.


  • Advertisement


  • Great game. And nailbiting stuff towards the end - some brilliant performances there. Anyway had a blast playing and following after. Cheers, mods!

    Depending on how discord management works for a single game, and the format the scraper dumps the log into, it would probably be simple enough to then add those games to CoP, and Necro has basically just volunteered to do it. Problem solved!

    Although, it's an excellent opportunity for a new mod to learn the COP ropes - creating subs, threads with different levels of priority, messing around with permissions on them etc. And at the end of it you have a discord game archived on COP. So it's kind of like Jobbridge or 12 Years A Slave, but with a happy ending.





  • Yeah the open voting here would be a bit of a ball's, didn't Shatter and Jayop do it for G2 though?

    I think it was done before, it's workable in a live game anyways. And I've seen it done on IPB where a player almost takes it on themselves to keep a running score (hint, QB, hint) of the votes which helps the mods out a lot.

    Definitely worth a try imo, if to see how it works. Open voting could be fun too as it probably would remove FFAs as a tool due to the fact everyone can see your vote.




  • Might be overkill, and a mod headache, but couldn't you just use a poll with public results in a separate thread?
    Pro - requires no game mod oversight other than looking for majority which you're already doing if that's in play
    Con - creates a lot of threads who outlive their usefulness quickly and need to be deleted by mods, which is a problem for mods
    Pro - as above, creates problems for Pter. Hurray!
    Con - Not sure you can change your vote once cast
    Pro - does not require external tools to implement or access.
    Con - dead peeps could vote
    Pro - Dead peeps vote conservative, and that's the way forward!




  • Its a good idea but why not just have a separate voting thread where people vote within a post. (i.e. #votebanjo)

    No chat, so the only thing that goes in there is votes; that way they dont get lost in the main thread, its all open for everyone to view, and there isnt a different thread for each lynch.

    If you want to do 1 vote, no takebacks, you can; if you want to do vote as much as you want, you can.




  • Pter wrote: »
    Its a good idea but why not just have a separate voting thread where people vote within a post. (i.e. #votebanjo)

    No chat, so the only thing that goes in there is votes; that way they dont get lost in the main thread, its all open for everyone to view, and there isnt a different thread for each lynch.

    If you want to do 1 vote, no takebacks, you can; if you want to do vote as much as you want, you can.

    Now that's actually a decent idea. Would save mods the headwreck of searching, and they could even post updates in that thread and the final tally on the game thread




  • Tallying those votes might be difficult. I guess you could search the thread and filter by a single day, but then if you have a speed day or majority voting, and there is a shift in voting strategy time stamps are going to become very important. Details can get missed. I've never seen how votes are tallied now though so that may be just as awkward.

    If each player changes their Location to the name of the player they want to vote for, it's open voting.... (cue flight of fancy : ) and once an hour run a script that scrapes the profile page of each player on a list of currently alive for that information, and based off the result @ the mod team on discord? To the Pi-Lab!




  • Speaking of cannon, Hobbits can’t become Nazgul.




  • quickbeam wrote: »
    Speaking of cannon, Hobbits can’t become Nazgul.

    According to the film, when Frodo was stabbed with the Morgul Blade, he would have turned into one but for the intervention of the elves :p

    But that's for another thread :)




  • Necro wrote: »
    According to the film, when Frodo was stabbed with the Morgul Blade, he would have turned into one but for the intervention of the elves :p

    But that's for another thread :)

    Haha I read either Gabriel or Gertrude post in game that hobbits can't become Nazgul, and I wanted to post pretty much what you just said Necro.

    However...if you Wiki the lore, there's arguments for both - 'Nazgul' - aren't they the souls of the original nine men who were given rings? So therefore, Frodo would have just become a wraith in Fellowship and not not a Nazgul?

    Anyway, guess this is for another thread as you said, but I wasn't confident enough in game to put up the Dwight Shrute 'Wrong!' post :pac:




  • Was that the first anon game where no one did a pter?


  • Advertisement


  • What's a Pter? Oh you mean do a kolido?




  • Kolido wrote: »
    Was that the first anon game where no one did a pter?

    Was there one in the Christmas game? I think people are getting better at it (apart from Pter of course) the more the accounts are used.




  • Stu Redman wrote: »
    Haha I read either Gabriel or Gertrude post in game that hobbits can't become Nazgul, and I wanted to post pretty much what you just said Necro.

    However...if you Wiki the lore, there's arguments for both - 'Nazgul' - aren't they the souls of the original nine men who were given rings? So therefore, Frodo would have just become a wraith in Fellowship and not not a Nazgul?

    Anyway, guess this is for another thread as you said, but I wasn't confident enough in game to put up the Dwight Shrute 'Wrong!' post :pac:

    Yeah. Was me in the game too. Yeah a wraith possibility but not a Nazgul. Galadriel’s narration right at the start of the film explains what the Nazgul were.

    BTW, Gabriel and Gertrude are easily interchangeable ;)




  • Confession: I *very* nearly did one but I was dead and about to post some very revealing stuff because I thought I was in the DR. Had to step away from the computer afterwards because I had come so close. And I have never posted in my own account during an anon game before so my first time would have possibly been the worst case ever.




  • tritium wrote: »
    I really enjoyed that game. My only real gripe is work and rl meant I didn’t participate anywhere near as much as I wished I could, but thems the breaks. Some general thoughts:

    1. I loved the majority vote idea. It takes the pressure off for speed days and adds a really interesting element. It also has real potential to be used tactically by any side - in this game a villager voted for themselves to bring down the hammer I think. I’ve seen wolves do the same force a level of momentum.

    2. It struck me at one point In this game just how much the night phase can benefit village. It enables everything from 9.59 reveals to a more reasoned review of the day. I do think it would be useful to try a game with no night posting- might have to be an honor system for a trial but I’d be interesting to see how it played out.

    3. The convert mechanic is really cool. It’s probably more balanced than I expected but still pretty powerful. Still haven’t checked backrroms to see why Sam didn’t join the cult (without becoming nazgul) though

    4. Pretty balanced game overall. It swung on a couple of key moments, and the ring, perhaps appropriately proved the key element. If I was being picky I’d say the rings power should have died fully with Sauron but it’s no biggie either way.


    I don't see why the honour system for closed nights would not work.
    A post at 9pm stating voting is now over and thread is closed. Wait a few minutes, so that any subsequent posting, people in the middle of posts etc stop, then post the vote results.
    Nobody should be posting, and leaving the thread open make it easier for those wanting to prepare posts for the next day.
    When its hard closed, you cannot quote or multi quote, so preping posts is near impossible.
    Once the munch is posted, message stating thread is open again.


    Trialing the honour system would be good if just to showcase that thread locking nights is hopefully unnecessary.




  • Pter wrote: »
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo discord was blocked in work over Xmas :(

    Yeah discord is blocked for me too in work. And I HATE typing on my phone with a passion. I'll make it work if that's where we're going but I would be opposed to the move.




  • Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Yeah discord is blocked for me too in work. And I HATE typing on my phone with a passion. I'll make it work if that's where we're going but I would be opposed to the move.

    By a more technical minded person than me I was told that the issues with COP are probably founded in the machine it's being run by, which unfortunately is out of our control.

    If we had someone good with tech and the likes, it may be possible to create a COP clone however...




  • Necro wrote: »
    By a more technical minded person than me I was told that the issues with COP are probably founded in the machine it's being run by, which unfortunately is out of our control.

    If we had someone good with tech and the likes, it may be possible to create a COP clone however...

    As in the hardware isn't up to scratch?

    I wonder can you use AWS for a basic bbcode forum




  • As in the hardware isn't up to scratch?

    I wonder can you use AWS for a basic bbcode forum

    You could, but it would probably be expensive


  • Advertisement


  • Loved the game mods, nice and intricate without being over complex. It was a good balance, even the powers Frodo/Sam had were ones which had lots of potential and decisions to be made for the good guys.

    As an evil and despite the excellent start the game was firmly in the balance at almost all points in time.

    In terms of the long day 0, I found it difficult to get involved at that point but this is more me, I've only ever played on boards so used to starting with evil munch to try play around with. The poisoning/conversion mechanics were really enjoyable and lots of fun.

    Outside of your control and already mentioned but COP was incredibly frustrating to use. If anyone thinks of a solution and it requires a few euros, I'm more than happy to contribute.

    Cheers mods


Advertisement