Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The RTE Player Thread

Options
  • 06-01-2019 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

We have not had a TV for over 10 years now and occasionally watch RTE Player.

The RTE Player stopped working on my PC (Vista) in Jan 2019.
    When you attempt to play something, the adverts play OK but then it displays the message:

"This programme cannot be streamed due to rights restrictions."

I have updated my flash player to the very latest software.
    Tried Microsoft IE, Firefox and Chrome.

I see that the URL displays as:
    https://beta.rte.ie/player/
    and typing the old URL redirects straight back to this.

TNaG player works fine.

Anyone else experiencing a problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Yes it doesn't work for me either.

It was bad enough at times before the switch but it's incredibly bad now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

It's not working for me in Dublin on either Android or Windows 10

Did RTE do any testing at all before releasing this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

I'm abroad using a VPN and was having the same problem. Opening it in incognito mode fixed it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 TF9

VeryTerry wrote: »
    I'm abroad using a VPN and was having the same problem. Opening it in incognito mode fixed it for me.

How do you use incognito mode, VeryTerry? What particular VPN are you using for incognito mode?

I ask because I'm also abroad and using a VPN. I first started using RTE Player approx. December 18th, and it was working OK for me until a few days ago - late last week. Since then I keep getting a very brief flash of a message that's way too quick for me to read but apparently mentions something about a proxy being detected by their system, or something like that, and then I get the "This programme cannot be streamed due to rights restrictions" message.

Shouldn't at least one of us here try contacting RTE directly to let them know about these latest problems with their Player, so that they can possibly fix it for us?

Any help will be greatly well-appreciated - thanks.

I forgot to mention that I tried signing up for an account on RTE Player, but that apparently didn't make any difference, then I even tried using a different VPN, but that didn't seem to help at all either.

• Advertisement

I've now sent RTE an e-mail message about their Player via the following page -

https://www.rte.ie/player/profile/contact

I've also found that the following e-mail address can be used -

playerfeedback@rte.ie

If as many of us as reasonably possible promptly inform RTE about the issue/problem, then maybe the more urgent they will realize the situation is, and the sooner they'll get it fixed for us, at least hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Iamlegend24

No joys for me either.

For me I can watch live no problem but if I want to watch a programme I can hear it, subtitles are perfect but no picture.

...and of course the adverts are perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I was just able to watch Katie on the RTE Player app and through the RTE website. Using a Sony Xperia phone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

TF9 wrote: »
    How do you use incognito mode, VeryTerry? What particular VPN are you using for incognito mode?

I ask because I'm also abroad and using a VPN. I first started using RTE Player approx. December 18th, and it was working OK for me until a few days ago - late last week. Since then I keep getting a very brief flash of a message that's way too quick for me to read but apparently mentions something about a proxy being detected by their system, or something like that, and then I get the "This programme cannot be streamed due to rights restrictions" message.

Shouldn't at least one of us here try contacting RTE directly to let them know about these latest problems with their Player, so that they can possibly fix it for us?

Any help will be greatly well-appreciated - thanks.

On the top right of your Google chrome browser there's 3 dots. If you click on it you get the option to open ”New incognito window".

I'm getting the same message as you so they are obviously able to detect the VPN now. Incognito mode still works well for the BBC iPlayer which is the most important thing anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭andrewk08

I received this reply from RTE:

"Thanks for sending on the info regarding compatibility on Vista, it would appear this is the case indeed. We will send this on to our developers for further investigation."

So it may well be that Vista is just incompatible now and that I need to upgrade my computer

andrewk08 wrote: »
    I received this reply from RTE:

"Thanks for sending on the info regarding compatibility on Vista, it would appear this is the case indeed. We will send this on to our developers for further investigation."

So it may well be that Vista is just incompatible now and that I need to upgrade my computer

Well, I never received any reply from them to either of my 2 e-mails, and I'm on Windows 7, using a VPN from abroad, and although RTE Player had been working fine for me through early January, ever since then I've been getting the same brief flashes that indicate some type of proxy being detected and then the dreaded "This programme cannot be streamed due to rights restrictions" message.

And I've tried signing into my RTE Player account, tried different VPN's, and tried using different web browsers, but to no avail. If they still haven't gotten it fixed by now, they likely never will.

I just need to see Episodes 2, 3, 4, & 7 of Season 1 of "On Home Ground". Is it possible that anyone who may be able to could possibly record just the episodes that I need onto DVD recordable discs that I could pay for? If anyone whatsoever could help me out in any way at all, it'll be greatly well-appreciated - THANKS.

VeryTerry wrote: »
    On the top right of your Google chrome browser there's 3 dots. If you click on it you get the option to open ”New incognito window".

I'm getting the same message as you so they are obviously able to detect the VPN now. Incognito mode still works well for the BBC iPlayer which is the most important thing anyway.

Thanks for that, but I've tried it in different web browsers, with different VPN's, all while signed into my RTE Player account, but the same problem still persists for me, and I can't get the only program that I need to see on RTE Player, "On Home Ground", on BBC iPlayer either.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

try it without using any vpn . worked for me using chrome incognito.
    my next problem is downloading episodes. i used to use youtube-dl with the old player. it worked great but not anymore. I need to get the stream url but can't seem to find it. anyone got a solution to download episodes ? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

actually, i made a mistake. I was playing stuff on the rte website that wasn't geo restricted. that's why i worked. i can't get geo blocked stuff to work witn any combination of incognito or irish vpn . any help/advice appreciated

Can't ANYONE help me? I still can't get RTE Player to work for me, and I only need to see Episodes 2, 3, 4, & 7 of Season 1 of "On Home Ground".

Is it possible at all that ANYONE who may be able to could possibly record just the 4 episodes of "On Home Ground" for me onto DVD recordable discs that I could pay for, plus the shipping costs, etc.? If there's ANYONE whatsoever out there who could (please) help me out in any way at all, it'll be tremendously appreciated - THANKS.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I watched Dermot Bannon looking at fancy houses on the RTE Player last night with no problems. Using Windows 10. Checked on my android phone just now and it works there too with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭andrewk08

RTE confirmed to me that the player will no longer work on Windows Vista.

On Windows 10, I found a bug last night where the program would not restart after the adverts located after the first part (i.e 15mins in or something). Player just kept loops to the start.
    To over come this, I manually selected the location after the ad break marker whereupon it played the adverts but continued as normal.

lertsnim wrote: »
    I watched Dermot Bannon looking at fancy houses on the RTE Player last night with no problems. Using Windows 10. Checked on my android phone just now and it works there too with no issues.

Thanks, but I forgot to mention that I'm in the USA, and although I had managed to find a way to get RTE Player to work for me in mid-December, it stopped working for me in early January, and ever since then, everything I've tried has unfortunately been to no avail.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Is anyone able to get this working abroad on a VPN yet? What VPN are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Wtf is the story with this 'service'? Rarely works and when it does its freezing every few minutes no matter what browser i try. Its playing fine on my smart TV but i cant see the 'On Now' option and i want to watch the match this evening. I regularly watch UTV, Ch4 and BBC players with zero issues, its a joke at this stage. Anyone on how i cna watch it live on the TV, ijust dont see that option? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,143 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Does anyone know how to make this thing work?

Rte Player XL seems to be nuked now :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

Any updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Absolutely useless. I'm trying to watch a football match, I have 40mbs on my wifi but it's still only capable of streaming in ultra low resolution and still buffers at least once a minute

I can get the player on my tablet but not on my android box ,all have a VPN.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mod: I've merged a few RTE player discussions into one thread. Let's try and centralise all discussion here, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭larchielads

horse7 wrote: »
    I can get the player on my tablet but not on my android box ,all have a VPN.

Same here, nothin workin on android box

Can't figure out how I can get it on my tablet and not the android box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭carveone

Just noticed that you have to disable any ad blockers for the player to work. Otherwise it just sits there with "RTE Player" on the window.

Rather annoyingly, you can't switch to the boards.ie tab without the ads stopping. They make you have that tab active.... Grrr.

Advertisement