Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Running in NY...

• 16-01-2019 3:06pm

...maybe this should be on the travel forum, but heading over for a long weekend at the start of February with a few others. Want to get away from the pub thing for a few hours, maybe head for a run that takes in places of interest. Going from downtown to Central Park (or vice versa) seems the obvious start and end.

Anyone have any tips? Guess jogging through Times Square might be impossible. Is it a waste of time and would I be better going around Central Park, or maybe doing a route down the west side of Manhattan.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You could hop on an early train on a saturdayparkrun day and head to Delaware and Rairitan Canal. Let them know that you are heading along and they will even try to arrange someone to pick you up from the train station, just make sure you go to the right station in NY.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Various routes around New York on Strava

New York running routes

Doesn't seem like any go through Times Square but you could probably divert if you wanted to do it.

(Keep in mind balance between big crowds and running in the dark if you are trying to avoid them. I'd imagine it wouldn;t be too busy early in the morning this time of year)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Prospect Park is a nice loop if you are out towards Brooklyn. Well served by subway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Bring the proper winter kit and check the weather cold snap hitting next week -16 with snow....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

robinph wrote: »
    You could hop on an early train on a saturdayparkrun day and head to Delaware and Rairitan Canal. Let them know that you are heading along and they will even try to arrange someone to pick you up from the train station, just make sure you go to the right station in NY.

Just beware that's a fair hike (40 miles-ish) out from the city.

...maybe this should be on the travel forum, but heading over for a long weekend at the start of February with a few others. Want to get away from the pub thing for a few hours, maybe head for a run that takes in places of interest. Going from downtown to Central Park (or vice versa) seems the obvious start and end.

Anyone have any tips? Guess jogging through Times Square might be impossible. Is it a waste of time and would I be better going around Central Park, or maybe doing a route down the west side of Manhattan.

Thanks.

Well - you'll need to deal with the weather. Start of February might be brutal !
    Correct - you are not going to jog through Time Square.

Central Park is great ! It's a good route and great people watching. The complete loop is tough but you can avoid the Harlem hill in the North West by cutting across the road across the park (the 72nd street transverse). You should also do a loop of the reservoir - it's traditional - just observe the direction (anti-clockwise signs).

Another alternative is the West Side Highway bike trail (hey it's for walkers too before anyone gets started !). It runs from Battery Park (WTC area) up as far as the GW bridge.

Another possibility is over the Brooklyn bridge then south and out along the New York harbour - not sure how far this goes.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the tips.
    pgmcpq wrote: »
    Another alternative is the West Side Highway bike trail (hey it's for walkers too before anyone gets started !). It runs from Battery Park (WTC area) up as far as the GW bridge.

That the Hudson River Greenway?

That seems to pop up in a lot of recommendations online.

Thanks for all the tips.

That the Hudson River Greenway?

That seems to pop up in a lot of recommendations online.

Yes. It's a fairly standard route that runs along the Hudson. It's can get a bit crowded below the 30s, but it's a great route. Fair disclosure: No longer living close by, I have not run it in probably 5+ years.

Think I'll do the bridges and a loop around lower Manhattan. Looks like it's about 4 miles out Brooklyn Bridge, back in Manhattan Bridge, which will be enough for the other person who plans to join. I'll then go up around by the Flatiron and out towards the Hudson side, and back down around to Battery Park to get back to the start. Might do a linear route, the west side of Central Park, and then down to the Hudson Greenway, if I get the time another day. Kinda think it would be a neat way to see the city instead of just doing subway, stare up and around, back down into subway...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

Think I'll do the bridges and a loop around lower Manhattan. Looks like it's about 4 miles out Brooklyn Bridge, back in Manhattan Bridge, which will be enough for the other person who plans to join. I'll then go up around by the Flatiron and out towards the Hudson side, and back down around to Battery Park to get back to the start. Might do a linear route, the west side of Central Park, and then down to the Hudson Greenway, if I get the time another day. Kinda think it would be a neat way to see the city instead of just doing subway, stare up and around, back down into subway...

Meant to respond to this the other day. Yeah, a loop of Lower Manhattan is fairly doable and cool. I was staying on Lower Broadway a few years ago and jogged up to Houston St. and headed East towards the river, then down under the Brooklyn Bridge and on towards the Southern tip of the island and up the West Side till Houston again. Can't quite remember the distance. You could use 14th Street as your base of the triangle if you want to go a bit further. There was little or no stopping, except on the cross St of course. Good luck with it. I used the jet lag to get the run in nice and early and then had the rest of the day with the family.........

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

how about the high line?

https://www.thehighline.org/visit/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Riskymove wrote:
    how about the high line?

If starting downtown the high line is ideal but they close it to clear snow.

Central Park is ideal but its a long way from downtown and all you can do is jog as the pavements are crowded. When I worked in midtown I used to jog to the park as warm up/warm down.

Check out New York Road Runners site for some info and ideas.

Riskymove wrote: »
    how about the high line?

https://www.thehighline.org/visit/

Way too crowded

pgmcpq wrote:
    Way too crowded

Well depends on when you use it. Lovely early on a summers' morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

First Up wrote: »
    Well depends on when you use it. Lovely early on a summers' morning!

I’ve run the high line early in the morning and it’s really lovely. Perfect for jet lagged running, but not that long (maybe 3k each way?).

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

You can jog the whole island and cycle in the lane next to it. I got herself a bike and she kept me company on a few long runs. Great way to see the city.

You can run over the brooklyn bridge and back the other one next to it. It's about 5 mile.

Or go up and do the last 10 mile of the marathon route from 65th Street.

https://www.mapmyrun.com/us/long-island-city-ny/last-10-miles-of-nyc-marathon-route-1048146

I liked running there so much I signed up for the marathon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

Hudson grenway would be a great option. I’ve biked it from battery park all the way up to Washington heights. Running, I’ve cut across at 125th street, north of Columbia university and down the east side of morningside park, and then into the NE corner of Central Park. You can run whatever loops in there and then I’d suggest cuting back out at Columbas circle and heading back to the greenway for home. Running on the streets of Manhattan is a PITA tbh. That route really minimises the amount of crossings you need to make and makes for a nice run. Weather dependant this time of year of course! Enjoy.

annapr wrote:
    I’ve run the high line early in the morning and it’s really lovely. Perfect for jet lagged running, but not that long (maybe 3k each way?).

Even less I think but you can do as many laps/loops as you want.

Advertisement