Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your goals for 2019?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

To achieve my 2018 goals

My no.1 goal for 2018 was to remain injury free. 0 physio visits this year, huzzah. That’s my goal again for 2019.

After that I want to drop a few kg for cycling.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭shannonman81

Great thread.

Goal for 2019 is to get back to some consistency.
    Had a kidney stone and stent insertion in January February last year and made excuses to myself as to why I couldn't exercise blah blah blah.

So now that I'm healthy (apart from carrying too much weight) it's time to get back to being physically fit, get stronger and more flexible.
    I've never looked forward to it as much as I am this time.
    Best to of luck to everyone trying to better themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,696 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Goals for 2019

Implement and have a full understanding of RPE training
    Hopefully compete.

To re bench 100kg
    Squat 190kg, or dare I say 200!
    Deadlift 225kg.

New goal:

Stop eating wine gums. They are like heroin.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Cushtie

2019. Get back on track to where I was before injury this year.

Started off 2018 very well. After being shocked at how unfit I had become I followed a couch to 5 K. Programme and joined a fitness group for older men ( I was the youngest one there!).. Was progressing really well until got a severe gout attack in knee in March that knocked me off track. Well they said it was Gout but I'm pretty convinced now that I over did it and injured it.

Anyway didn't really get back into it at all save for a a few handy hikes late in the year.

So 2019 goal is get back on track. Loose about a stone and get a good few hikes in. Carantouhill being the goal before June 30th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭Cake Man

A few things I want/need to start working on:

1) I really have to structure my training better. At the moment, I go into the gym knowing what muscle groups/exercises I'll be doing but it's just fairly random in terms of how many sets, reps and weight I go with. It's very, very dependant on how I'm feeling - if it's one of those sessions where I feel good and in the zone, the lifts are smooth, the weight is going up easily, I'll keep throwing on more weight and work up to around a 1RM. If the mood takes me, I might even try for a PR. However, these kind of sessions might only happen a few times a month.
    If it's one of those days where I'm just not feeling it, don't have much energy and feels like someone turned up gravity and even 70-80% of my 1RM is a struggle, I'll just back off the weight. In my head this makes sense as I'd feel trying to push for a PR on a day when I'm not at 100% is just asking for an injury.
    Could anyone point me to something where you can input your 1RM's and it'll spit out a training plan/schedule on reps/sets/% of 1RM to progress to a new PR (or hit your existing PR for 2 reps/3 reps etc.)? As an example, I finally hit a 3 plate squat this year which I was happy about but I'm at a stage now where I don't really know where to go next - try adding more weight or more reps at 140kg (which would signify more progress)?
    This is the kind of stuff I need to get my head around better...

2) Need to start doing more cardio. I've a tendency to throw in 10mins on the treadmill at the end of a session (begrudgingly) but can't justify p!ssing away a full session/majority of a session just doing cardio. I'd always see it as limited time that could be spent doing a few more sets of whatever.
    However, I have read before that despite the broscience of "cardio kills gainz", cardio actually helps gains and something to do with your cardio being a big factor in how easy/hard you'll find those last few reps.
    I notice my stamina is shocking so not surprising that I'm out of breath after a set of squats or deadlifts and am gassed after an hour in the gym.

3) Get back to stretching/foam rolling more. I was in a good routine of spending about 30mins every night in front of the TV stretching and foam rolling lower back and legs mainly but in the last few months have been skipping it more frequently. Need to get back into the habit. No surprise that my squats are starting to suffer because my hip flexors have become soooo ridiculously tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭bladespin

Keep my numbers up, 240 workouts in 18 and full food log, want to match that.

Aiming for 10 to 12% bf for summer as well.

Another inch on the guns would be nice too lol.

Good luck all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Red Lightning

Get photoshoot fit even though I injured a disc in my back that has hampered my progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Play and make an impact on GAA team.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Floppybits

3 goals for me;

1. Lose 4 stone
    2. Get my resting heart rate below 45bpm currently it is 48bpm
    3. Go all the way to a final tennis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭Worztron

Floppybits wrote: »
    3 goals for me;

1. Lose 4 stone
    3. Go all the way to a final tennis.

Normal resting heart rate for an adult is 60-100 beats per minute.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,696 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Worztron wrote: »

I’m pretty sure that goes down if you’re in extremely good shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I’m pretty sure that goes down if you’re in extremely good shape.

I think that was the point...that they were already at a low heart rate

Actually, I think 50-70 beats per minute is more ideal. Still though the number of 45bpm by Floppybits seems off.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Floppybits wrote: »

Could you re-measure that?

• Tom Cruise boasts that he is 40bpm which is also why he is such an amazing free diver

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Run a 5K (parkrun)
    Knock back the stone I put on since mid December
    Cycle a bit more than the 12 km a day I commute

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Right, stating goals on here worked for 2018, so I'll give it a lash again.

64kg bodyweight, female. My strength is still, at best, beginner/novice territory so would like to get up to "intermediate" just as a benchmark to work toward.

Back squat: 80kg
    Front squat: 65kg
    DL: 95kg
    Clean & Jerk: 55kg
    Bench: 40kg
    Snatch: 40kg
    Overhead squat: 50kg

Aside from that, do Spartan race & beat my time from last year, Hell & Back.

Do a Triathlon event this year, maybe the sprint in the TriAthy.

Compete in a "fitness racing" comp in June with 2 friends as a team.

Get pull-ups, bar muscle ups, ring muscle ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

To lose some extra weight, to make loved ones happy and to build strong social relations.

Define normal?

At my fittest my resting HR was in the high 30s. Now it's in the low 50s. With the amount of cycling I'm doing it will be back down to the low 40s soon.

It's not a great measure of fitness, but it's one indicator that you're on the right track.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

High 30s?jesus

bluewolf wrote: »
    High 30s?jesus

It gave some nurses cause for concern :) . I was in for some tests and my heart rate monitor kept alarming.

It was proper resting HR though, I think a lot of people measure their's sitting down, which is enough to slightly elevate the HR. Mine was measured in lab conditions, lying still for a couple of minutes. I volunteered for an experiment in James's hospital, that involved running at various speeds on a threadmill and measuring how quickly my HR recovered. It was something to do with measuring base metabolic rate.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Brian? wrote: »
    It gave some nurses cause for concern :) . I was in for some tests and my heart rate monitor kept alarming.

Had the same with the monitor...it happened more at night which was a giant pain in the hole when you've just managed to get to sleep on your trolley

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I had a beepy monitor when mine went below 58 or something but it wasn't often!
    Fitbit has it generally going up and down between 58 and 70

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

To be alive on 1.1.20.

Define normal?

At my fittest my resting HR was in the high 30s. Now it's in the low 50s. With the amount of cycling I'm doing it will be back down to the low 40s soon.

It's not a great measure of fitness, but it's one indicator that you're on the right track.

https://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/features/5-heart-rate-myths-debunked

That article agrees with me. Was that your point?

they/them/theirs

That article agrees with me. Was that your point?

Excerpt from the article: "About 50-70 beats per minute is ideal".

Excerpt from the article: "About 50-70 beats per minute is ideal".

Contradicting excerpt:

“The better shape you're in, the slower your heart rate will be when you're not moving around.”

I think you’re confusing the recommendation here. 50-70 is a healthy range for most people. Over 70 is possibly unhealthy. That doesn’t mean that under 50 is unhealthy.

I’d be very surprised to find any study showing a low heart rate was something to worry about. Or even any doctor who’d recommend getting less fit to raise your heart rate above 50.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

From the same article:

Myth: If my heart rate is slow, it means I have a weak heart.

Not necessarily. A slow heart rate can be a sign that you're healthy and fit. An athlete's heart muscle is in better shape, so it doesn't have to work as hard to keep up a steady beat.

In general, Patel says, slow rates are only a problem if you also pass out, feel dizzy, are short of breath, or have chest pain. See your doctor if you have any of those symptoms.

they/them/theirs

Advertisement