Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A3 2019

• 01-01-2019 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've read a few of these and enjoyed them so for 2019 i'm going to start my own log of training, racing, food & whatever else one can add to this!

Goals for 2019

90kg racing weight for June/July time.
    Top 20 in an A3 Race
    10,000 km road work
    More road less turbo where possible
    Try win a club league race during the Summer

My current information is as below:

Weight: 99.2kgs
    FTP: 330
    Health: Generally good but i do take meds for Psoriatic Arthritis which i have been doing so for 15 yrs or so. Flare ups do occur and i may need to take a few days when it occurs.

I will be looking at one to one coaching in March after the current set plan expires end of February. I think the one to one aspect will be a benefit to me.

01/01/18

Power Profile test which went pear shaped as i bombed out on the 5 min effort after the other 3 tests went well with 5 sec & 1 min results being my second best of all time. I started this test at 11 or so but not getting to sleep till 2 am may or may not have had an effect on the test.
    As i finished the test wrecked & pretty annoyed i took the bike off the turbo and went for a spin around town to clear the head. I returned less annoyed and hopefully my ftp test Thursday will go alot better!!

I will be logging my food with MFP and have allowed myself 2140 kcal with the aim of loosing 0.5kg per week. I have tried MFP before and failed miserably but sure god loves a trier!

I will aim to update this once a week or when the need arises if things are going well!!!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭dahat

03/01/19

After the horror of the power profile test i was determined to approach today's FTP in positive manner to avoid a second failure. I did my last test at 6am and felt it went well so repeated the test conditions to try get the best result. 5.30am rise with a coffee + banana then a gel 15 mins before i started. As per usual it was hell with the wall hit twice but got through it with various thoughts of abandonment & swear words aplenty while hanging over the bars!!!

All my testing is done on the turbo btw,i feel its the best way to repeat test conditions time after time. I used Trainerroad FTP test format which i'm comfortable after 3 years of this method.

Test Result was 338 (+ 8 watts) which seems disappointing given the suffering but its an increase with threshold hear rate of 170. I must google the theory behind TR, do i want it to drop or increase? I've no clue but Google may tell me.

I've got a rest day tomorrow with a date with the scales Saturday morning plus a PP retest at coaches request. A 3hr endurance spin Sunday seems a long way off but i'm looking forward to it after a week of testing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

What protocol are you following for the FTP test?

It's is the TrainerRoad default. There is 3 x 1 min high cadence efforts with a 5 min full gas effort then recovery and 20min TT effort. All done over 60mins.

There is a few variations of it but I'm comfortable with this format, indoors at least.

5th & 6th January

As my coach is a particularly kind soul he rescheduled the PP for Saturday morning! This repeat when better but still ballsed up the 30 sec max effort due to poor gear selection. The other 4 efforts returned good figures for me but still a long way off being competitive in A3.

Sunday club spin was a roll around S.Tipp with The Vee thrown in as it's a nice short climb for all abilities. The gallop home was small with only 3 of us, victory was hollow in a small gallop but still. The legs felt good all day long which is encouraging.

I am beginning to realize that my biggest handicap this year will be my weight. My aim is 92 kgs but i'm not sure if i can get my head together to reach that as the commitment needed to drop another 7-8kgs will be massive. My post Xmas weigh in is tomorrow so hopefully there wasn't too much damage!!!

2019 Racing Plan
    9th March Clonard ( one race only this weekend)
    10th March Ras Na Luimni (one race only this weekend)
    17th March Bobby Power
    24th March NTW Wheelers ( not fussed)
    7th April Dungarvan
    21st April Ras an Laois
    5th May Frank O'Rourke
    26th May Clonmel 2 Stage
    1st June Raparee Cup
    14th July William Slattery
    20th July Shannonside GP
    4th August Collins Crit
    17th & 18th Aug Wexford 2 day ( only a possibility)
    2nd September Charleville 2 Day ( only a possibility)

I know most of these courses so hopefully i can get a good show somewhere. I have highlighted a couple that may present better chances for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

If you were willing to make the journey up to Clonard for the Ras Naomh Finian I think your have a great chance of a placing. It's ideal for a big power sprinter.

sullzz wrote: »
    If you were willing to make the journey up to Clonard for the Ras Naomh Finian I think your have a great chance of a placing. It's ideal for a big power sprinter.

9th March so it fits better again, must refer to family diary!

This race is requiring some delicate negotiation as my kids birthdays are same day, 10 & 20. A promise of being back for 4 may sneak it through as last years race started at 11.

10/01/19

4 x 5 at threshold last night of which i did three at 100rpm. I've been trying to improve my cadence over the winter so i'm hoping to see improvement as the season progresses. Threshold work are my favourite so the more of these get the better!!!

12/01/19

The plan has a 1h 40min tempo session which will be done on the road all going well. As good as turbo work is i need at least 1 session per week on the road for mental state more than anything. Another 3/4 weeks and the evenings may be a little more generous with light so options for road work increase.

Weight

This has increased slightly to 99.9kgs over Xmas but tbh i'm happy it wasn't more. I have tried to be really focused this week so hopefully i can carry this forward from this point.

Last weekends tempo session was a learning curve regarding the target pwr for the required intervals. I have put avg power on the lap screen for each interval but it seems to be avg power for the session in total, maybe the 520 doesn't have a lap power avg per lap? I reckon need to aim for the avg power per lap then on review after the NP/AVG PWR figures should be quite similar.

At least that's what i think is correct!

As i have used the turbo for training maybe i need to get accustomed to road intervals more and judge pace, power when dealing with rolling roads in order to hit required targets. This would be for longer ones as VO2 & shorter are better suited to the turbo i'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

dahat wrote: »
    I have put avg power on the lap screen for each interval but it seems to be avg power for the session in total, maybe the 520 doesn't have a lap power avg per lap?
    Its there, Look for "Power - Lap"

• Advertisement

18/01/19

While getting stuff ready for a session i noticed my cleats were further 1/2 inch forward on my right shoe so adjusted the cleat to match the left shoe. I'd imagine both cleats should be the same and i'm at a loss to explain how they were set different.

The 3 x 15 SS session ahead of me can be tedious and a bit of a struggle on a trainer. As i'm trying to improve cadence i decided to hit these intervals with cadence of 95 rpm to keep the boredom away. The increased cadence required extra focus so i quite enjoyed these for once and the cleat adjustment seems to have helped hold steady power. This may be in the mind though!!!

Weight check tomorrow so hoping the week or so went well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭joey100

Which foot do you unclip with? Might explain how one has moved, you sure the right one moved and not the left??

joey100 wrote: »
    Which foot do you unclip with? Might explain how one has moved, you sure the right one moved and not the left??

I unclip with my left foot. The right cleat hasn't felt like it was sitting right for ages but never bothered to check. It felt a little too far forward and after two sessions with it moved back the difference is my pedal stroke is noticeable.

I unclip with my left foot. The right cleat hasn't felt like it was sitting right for ages but never bothered to check. It felt a little too far forward and after two sessions with it moved back the difference is my pedal stroke is noticeable.

Make a mark on your shoes where the cleats sit now if you can. The next time you go to change them, have a look to see is there any side that is worn drastically more than the other at the engagement points with your pedals, it might give you an indication of any minor corrections needed.
    Tip given to me by a fitter, one that I keep forgetting to listen to or follow.

22/01/19

5 x 5 at threshold today and after two lazy intervals the legs came around to finish the session in fine fettle. My HR was 3 beats lower than last weeks max for the same session though 4 x 5.
    All in all pretty pleased with the session.

My weight is stable at 99.5 and pretty puzzled tbh as with training 5 days I should be dropping some bit at least. My fall down is bread granary, soda but never white. In order to try shift some ill get a food scales and try MFP once more.

Overnight oats with choco protein powder, cinnamon, some berries and Chia seeds has become an almost dessert like breakfast for me on high intensity interval & long spin days. Very very tasty.

Time now to renew the A3 licence as my coach has told me to abandon any thoughts of A4 and accept that A3 is your place.

24/01/19

Sprint session today that basically went balls up. After a warm up it was 3 x 30, 3 x 20, 3 x 10 (twice)for max output. I knew after the first 30 secs reps my legs were fooked so abandoned ship with session incomplete. Ive accepted it was just a bad night rather than trying to find a reason for the failure.

Tomorrow brings a rest day with an appt for a rub so hopefully that will refresh the legs for work ahead before race season starts.

26 & 27 Jan

Nothing fancy here just 2hrs endurance Saturday with a 3.5 hr similar spin Sunday with a small gallop at the end. The overnight oats (oats, choco whey, chia seeds, protein youghurt & banana) seem to be a far better breakfast for longer spins. This will be my pre race breakfast for the season as my tummy is handling this without issue.

29 Jan

Tuesday am session, 3 x 10 at threshold indoors which is always a decent workout. I felt i handled this well but was pretty shook at the end! Burning 1,000 cals pre 8am is a big effort so a treat will be had today i think.

My scales is saying i'm up 1.5kgs but i suspect its reading incorrectly as i feel like i've lost a little. A trip to Boots on Saturday may be in order to get an accurate reflection of my weight is needed. I had hoped to be further down the line weight wise but such is life. 3.5 watts/kg just means alot of A3 suffering this year!

My race bike should be ready this week, new tyres,chain,cassette, cables & bar tape (€€€€€), cannot wait to get it on the road at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭joey100

You mentioned your race bike but no pictures or mention of what the bike is! Best of luck with the season, you seem to be training well. Looking forward to seeing how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

22/01/19
    My weight is stable at 99.5 and pretty puzzled tbh as with training 5 days I should be dropping some bit at least. My fall down is bread granary, soda but never white. In order to try shift some ill get a food scales and try MFP once more.

Overnight oats with choco protein powder, cinnamon, some berries and Chia seeds has become an almost dessert like breakfast for me on high intensity interval & long spin days. Very very tasty.

i'm working with a nutritionist at the minute and she is of the opinion you should aim for e.g. 14000 calories a week or whatever your aim is. dont aim for 2000 cals a day because at the weekend you will go over. aim for 1700 cals Mon-Thurs for example and 2400 for Fri to Sun. it evens out over the week. just an idea.

Love overnight oats as well with whey as well :)

• Advertisement

Are you of similar weight? To guage the cals required.

The idea of weekly kcals is good and extra at the weekend does appeal especially with longer spins on the plan!

Have you felt under fuelled at 1700 during the week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

Are you of similar weight? To guage the cals required.

The idea of weekly kcals is good and extra at the weekend does appeal especially with longer spins on the plan!

Have you felt under fuelled at 1700 during the week?
    i should have said im a 6'3" 74/75kg A3. I'm just a guinea pig for her at the minute but it is very informative... I had a lean winter (outside of xmas, put on 1.5kg), kept the carbs down but now ive up'd the carbs for performance. so good carbs and some bad carbs along with my daily protein and fats. I'm still maintaining my weight at 75kg. starting last September i was about 78kg.

I never feel under fueled or hungry... I actually get hungry quicker if I eat more carbs than protein. It's also important to keep getting plenty of water into you as well. i had another incident where i was having major pains passing water... turned out i was dehydrated due to the intense workouts i was doing at the weekends and not drinking enough fluid. D'oh! :rolleyes:

That's pretty lean for 6'3", fair play.

It is the weekday workouts where i'm getting caught with under fueling an odd time, last weeks sprint session being an example. I've looked at today's meal at 1pm to have good carbs etc to see if my legs are crap or if it was under fueling!!The same session today will hopefully reveal what was the cause of last weeks failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

Great work, enjoying the read

I try not to treat myself after a really good workout - I feel even better :D
    I've quit my share of TR workouts but I always try to get more than one interval in, my legs always burn in the first interval until they settle in so it's not an accurate reflection of how recovered I am

Keep it up and good luck this year

31st Jan

A repeat of the sprint session that i had to quit the previous week. This week i had better preparation, lunch was a carb based light meal ( sweet potato) with an energy bar & coffee. The session itself went ok with full completion and though the numbers were so so sometimes a mental victory is worth more.
    The session itself was warm up - 30 secs x 3, 20 secs x 3 ,10 secs x 3 twice. Recovery between each effort was between 4mins 30 secs. These were max power efforts on the turbo so a bit risky as well!!!

2nd & 3rd Feb

Same as last weekend, 6hrs of endurance stuff with some efforts at the end of Sundays club spin.

This week is a transition week with FTP Test Thursday & Power Profile Test Saturday, can't wait!!! My weight is still hovering around 99.2- 99.8 kgs though i look and feel lighter so its remains a mystery ( there is no way i'm overeating after weekend spins!!!!!)

A side note to training activities.

After a service to the race bike my winter bike needs a chain asap. Costs really do add up with 2 bikes plus only very basic mechanic skills.

Some things I really should be able to do but fear making a balls of it makes a lbs visit worth it really.

A side note to training activities.

After a service to the race bike my winter bike needs a chain asap. Costs really do add up with 2 bikes plus only very basic mechanic skills.

Some things I really should be able to do but fear making a balls of it makes a lbs visit worth it really.

Replacing a chain is actually easy once known, the tools will cost you more than a LBS visit but on the second time you need them, you'll be saving money

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Chain is very straight forward, go with KMC and its easier again with their quick link

Yeah, think after these chains I'll purchase 2 new ones plus a chain breaker for next season or in case of a disaster racing. . It all looks straightforward on Youtube,sure most things do really!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Get a chain break tool (most multi tools have one) and use your old chains to practise.....just take out and put back in the pins to practise......but you should always carry a quick link anyway....saved me a long walk home one time

Advertisement