Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

US.national debt

• 14-01-2019 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

With the US economy performing well it puzzles me that the US national debt is still increasing. I know that it doubled in the relative short time that Barack Obama was in power but in general should it not be reduced instead of increasing when the economy is improving? If you can't pay down your debt when things are good then what chance have you when and if things go bad? Also I would imagine that rates are relatively low at the moment so it's not as if all the money is been taken by interest on existing loans.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,981 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

duffysfarm wrote: »
    With the US economy performing well it puzzles me that the US national debt is still increasing. I know that it doubled in the relative short time that Barack Obama was in power but in general should it not be reduced instead of increasing when the economy is improving? If you can't pay down your debt when things are good then what chance have you when and if things go bad? Also I would imagine that rates are relatively low at the moment so it's not as if all the money is been taken by interest on existing loans.
    The business tax cuts have decimated tax revenue. And spending is increasing. Hence increased budget deficit and government debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,017 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

There's a Republican president in office. Since the Republicans went all populist, under Reagan, public debt has always skyrocketed during Republican presidencies. Debt tends to be reduced under Democratic presidencies, although Obama was unable to acheive that because (a) he was dealing with the fallout of the 2008 crash, and (b) he had to work with a Republican-dominated congress, which had a policy of being massively obstructionist.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

With the US economy performing well it puzzles me that the US national debt is still increasing.
    It's not performing that well: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/8/24/17759940/donald-trump-economy-jobs-growth-obama

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/09/upshot/how-good-is-the-trump-economy-really.html
    I know that it doubled in the relative short time that Barack Obama was in power but in general should it not be reduced instead of increasing when the economy is improving?
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjones/2018/01/15/obamas-federal-debt-grew-at-a-slower-rate-than-reagan-h-w-bush-or-w-bush/#4f76045f1917

• Registered Users Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Large cuts in federal CT and IT by Trump haven't helped.

He is responsible for the current fiscal expansion, even though the economy doesn't need any stimulus.

Advertisement