Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

recommendations on ventilation for semi-D refurbishment

Options
  • 09-01-2019 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Please can you given me recommendations on ventilation in the following situation:

Refurbishing a 70 year old semi-detached house: new windows, internal dry lining, attic insulation, new doors and concrete floor downstairs. Will be sticking with oil central heating with radiators.

Builder is keen to persuade us to install a "heat recovery ventilation" or "mechanical ventilation" system.

Is it absolutely necessary to install a formal ventilation system?

My wife and I like to just through open all the windows in the morning and air the house the old fashioned way. Can we stick with that without causing problems?

The house is in a high radon area and we will be retrofitting a radon barrier. Given that it is retrofitted, I am assuming that it may not be as tightly fitted as in a new build and therefore there may still be some radon in the house. Does that impact upon choice of ventilation at all?

Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Min reg requirement : 4’’ hole in the wall in every room + mech vent in bathrooms & kitchen

If you don’t want holes in your walls, get a proper system installed

If your doing all this work, who specified it and what did they recommend?

What air-tightness measures are being carried out prior to dry-linning ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭josip

If you don't have the wall vents, then you'll need to get a MHRV system installed.
    If you do get a MHRV installed, then you should airtight as much as possible while you have the house stripped.
    I got a lot of silicon and went around with the gun for a few days.
    I probably sealed a lot of pointless places but it was better when I finished.
    We only open the windows in the summer if the house gets hot.
    With the MHRV, we never feel like the air is stuffy, even though we dry a lot of clothes on the 'horse'.

Disclaimer: I have no knowledge/expertise of building, we're just a user of a retro-fitted MHRV.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

what ventilates the rooms at the moment? I would go with the HRV if place is being gutted... there is also demand control ventilation...

Advertisement