Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Getting rid of SKY - what are my options.

• 04-01-2019 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi All,
    I have been a SKY customer for years and paying almost €60 per month I dont think its worth it anymore. My package includes the Discovery and History channels (which are now all rubbish) HD, and Box sets. I dont need Sports pack or SKY Movies. I have Netflix which I seem to watch more content on than SKY.

I dont want to go without TV as I watch RTE and BBC most of the time. My plan is to install a Saorview Antenna for the Irish channels and install a Free To Air satellite box for the free satellite programmes.

With that, can I use the existing SKY dish with dual LNB cables when installing a Free To Air box? Will the dish alignment work for Free to Air or will it have to be realigned to different satellites?

Also, is HD and recording / rewind features available on any Free To air box?

Considering the above, can anyone recommend a make / model of box that will give me the above features.

Finally, is there any where online where I can view what channells are available on free to air.

Thanks in advance for all comments and replies!

B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

HD, Pause/rewind, series linking etc are available on some FTA boxes. I suggest having a read through this thread. As with all things, cheaper more basic boxes and dearer more complex ones are available. The Tiviar is the current best all round value. If you're in any way computer literate you will manage with a bit of a learning curve.
    Your existing dish should do as they use the same FTA signals. Here is a full list of FTA services

• Registered Users Posts: 15 omega99

Thank you for your reply Gerry.
    Looking through the other posts here I think the best solution for me is a "Freesat" product, like the HUMAX HDR-1100S W.
    I'm pretty technical myself but I prefer an easier life. The box listed above will give me almost all I need and works out of the box.

Would you agree?

The only downside is that I would not be able to record the Saorview channels!

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭decor58

omega99 wrote:
    Thank you for your reply Gerry. Looking through the other posts here I think the best solution for me is a "Freesat" product, like the HUMAX HDR-1100S W. I'm pretty technical myself but I prefer an easier life. The box listed above will give me almost all I need and works out of the box.

I have been using the box above for about 2 years now and have no complaints, paired with a Saorview TV and aerial, it suits our needs. Been using fta sat since 2002, it was a hobby at first but the appeal wore off, I admire the enthusiasts but I prefer the easier option.

A FreeSat box has the benefit of being plug and play. However you will not have the full list of FTA channels available, especially Channel 4 HD and a lot of the +1s. You can use the TVs own tuner for Saorview and it may even have basic recording facilities using an external HDD. Switching between Saorview and the HDMI input could be a bit of a pain. One of the main advantages of combo boxes is the ability to mix any combination of Saorview and satellite channels in one list, in any order you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭dubrov

If you want no messing around (but multiple remotes) then Freesat is the way to go.
    It might be a bit of a pain switching between Irish and UK channels.

If you are willing to do a bit of work, look at this thread.
    Once setup, it should run just as well and offer more functions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

omega99 wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply Gerry.
    Looking through the other posts here I think the best solution for me is a "Freesat" product, like the HUMAX HDR-1100S W.
    I'm pretty technical myself but I prefer an easier life. The box listed above will give me almost all I need and works out of the box.

Would you agree?

The only downside is that I would not be able to record the Saorview channels!

Thanks again.
    Sticking a USB key on the back of your TV will allow timeshift and recording of Saorview.

Depending on your TV though, you probably won't be able to watch HDMI input while recording.

BTW most of the Virgin stuff is available on Freesat and in HD.

You can add things like channel 4 and the music channels via other channels on Freesat boxes , but if you go into freesat mode then timed freesat recordings may not happen.

You could use a Freesat box for UK
    and get linux box later for Irish and non-freesat UK channels and Netflix and other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 grumpyScotsman

Hi all,

Is it still possible to use a Sky+HD box to view free-to-air channels once Sky is cancelled? Or is everything shut off when the cancellation kicks in?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Hi all,

Is it still possible to use a Sky+HD box to view free-to-air channels once Sky is cancelled? Or is everything shut off when the cancellation kicks in?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, but it is anything but user friendly.
    In fact IMO it is an exercise in frustration.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Depending on your TV though, you probably won't be able to watch HDMI input while recording.

Is this the case, that if you had a scheduled recording on your tv with an external hard drive, you couldn't switch to a freesat box connected on another hdmi source?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Yes, but it is anything but user friendly.
    In fact IMO it is an exercise in frustration.

Get one of these. Does the job nicely

http://sat-planet.ie/FREESAT-VIEWING-CARD

• Advertisement

If you watch a lot of bbc stuff the humax box is excellent. The recordings work and are arranged nicely and begin at the very start of a programme.

A saorview tv would do you fine for rte viewing. You would have to record to an external source like a hard drive. You wouldn't have series recording on saorview.

The tiviar is very appealing as all the channels are on the one box. Not sure if they are all on the one epg as some people seem to have channels in a freesat group and saorview in another, while others are in favourites. It would be nice to see a video of the tiviar with a go through of everything on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭swoofer

I'm setting the TIVIAR up for an elderly person and keeping it as simple as KISS. So what I did was make a favourite called Saorview and then put all the channels they watch into it placed this saorview folder at top of favourites. I then made BBC1 HD the first channel so when they press 1 on remote they get BBC1 and then when they press 2 they get bbc2 and here is the clever bit when they press 3 they get rte 1 and so on for 4 , 5 etc. So once box is on all they do is press buttons. That to me is simple and then when you press EPG you get all the channels BBC, ITV , CH4, 5 AND RTE etc. See attachment.

This makes this box ace or am I missing something!!

I could do a video but is it legal and copyright etc.

What is recording like from the epg? Is it one or two button presses?

I'd love to see pictures of the stored recordings, both once off and series linked.

With the need for catch up tv players and subscription on demand apps like netflix I think a 1 remote solution is unrealistic. Yes you could go down the programmed remote like logitech but it is hardly worth the effort.

Its 2 button presses.

I dont record very much so did a quick few for you. Its so easy and simple its ideal for non techie.

It hasn't got netflix but has few other nice features all controlled by one remote and the tiviar remote controls tv as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭NewClareman

dubrov wrote: »
    If you want no messing around (but multiple remotes) then Freesat is the way to go.
    It might be a bit of a pain switching between Irish and UK channels.

If you are willing to do a bit of work, look at this thread.
    Once setup, it should run just as well and offer more functions.

I hope to post a new Image in the next day or two. With this, the only setup required for general tv viewing, is:
    • Install/flash the image.
    • Set the correct Saorview region in Autobouquetmaker(ABM) and run a scan.
    • Update service providers in ABM, when the Saorview frequencies change, next year.
    Apart from the above, channels should update automatically.

The tiviar is very appealing as all the channels are on the one box. Not sure if they are all on the one epg as some people seem to have channels in a freesat group and saorview in another, while others are in favourites. It would be nice to see a video of the tiviar with a go through of everything on it.

The Tiviar is extremely flexible, as the functionality can be extended using plugins. The functionality with my custom build is described here. I haven’t done a video, but I think it’s pretty self explanatory :). As shown, all the main channels are in one Bouquet/EPG. Similarly, all the news channels, including RTÉ News Now, are in one Bouquet\EPG. With my latest build, all channels auto update.

@swoofer

Any chance you could do a series recording and take a picture too.

Thanks

can you explain what you mean and I'll do it, got a damm cold at the moment. Do you mean something like eastenders, coronation street etc.

Anything. I just want to see how they are stored in recordings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I bought a TV (Panasonic) which has a terrestrial and a sat receiver meaning I get UK freesat and Saorview all on the same yoke. It can be set up with the Freesat UI which gives you EPG for both. Connect a hard drive or big USB stick to the thing and you have pause and recording. It covers a lot of bases, more or less everything but the actual Sky and/or BT channels, and it's totally free except for your TV license.

If you don't want to buy a new TV the same thing can be achieved with a number of external boxes/receivers.

Its amazing how few receivers/TVs are on offer here that have a terrestrial and a sat DVB receiver as its the perfect setup for Ireland.

• Advertisement

Anything. I just want to see how they are stored in recordings.

If you are asking about the list of stored recordings, each is date stamped. When viewing the actual list of recordings you have the option to list by date or alphabetically. I think there is an option to store series recordings in sub folders but have never used it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I think there is an option to store series recordings in sub folders but have never used it.

It's an plugin called Movie organiser

I was just wondering whether all the series recordings of one programme are in a single folder or are they scattered amongst the other individual recordings.

In the humax freesat a series recording would be listed saying 10 episodes. You click into that folder and all the individual episodes are in it.

I was just wondering whether all the series recordings of one programme are in a single folder or are they scattered amongst the other individual recordings.

In the humax freesat a series recording would be listed saying 10 episodes. You click into that folder and all the individual episodes are in it.

Yes this is exactly what the movie organiser plugin does. It scans the recordings drive and when it sees a second episode of a show it moves them to their own sub folder and will keep moving the next ones as they record

With enigma here's plugins for every feature you could ever need

You can see from the screenshots, for my image, how this works. :)

Do recordings start exactly at the start of a programme or do you have a pad to fast forward through?

Do recordings start exactly at the start of a programme or do you have a pad to fast forward through?

Configurable in settings. I think 1 minute before and 3 mins after is the default though

The freesat box is great that way. Recordings start exactly at the start.

The freesat box is great that way. Recordings start exactly at the start.
    It is a configurable setting with most boxes I have come a cross, including Freesat. I always include some padding, as minor schedule changes can cause programs to run early/late.

With the Tiviar you can jump forwards/backwards in increments of 15, 60 and 180 seconds (configurable) to allow you quickly find the actual start time, or to skip the introduction.

• Advertisement

It is a configurable setting with most boxes I have come a cross, including Freesat. I always include some padding, as minor schedule changes can cause programs to run early/late.

With the Tiviar you can jump forwards/backwards in increments of 15, 60 and 180 seconds (configurable) to allow you quickly find the actual start time, or to skip the introduction.

That just reminded me of something of completely forgotten about. On a previous box I had the forward increment set to 240s upon pressing number 9, it was perfect to skip the majority of the ads in one jump on a recording

Advertisement