Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Windy Road to Nowhere

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Mon 3rd Dec: 8 miles in 54:48 (6:51)

Warmup mile, 6 tempo and cool down. Legs felt pretty fresh, conditions were lovely, cool and fresh. When the weather plays a little bit of ball, it’s a nice time of year for making some inroads. Faster miles in the middle were 6:41, 6:52, 6:48, 6:31, 6:16, 6:46.

Wednesday 5th: 6 miles in 37:29 (6:14) inc 10x600m

Lovely evening for running at the track, turned up with, as usual, no plan what I would do. One of the lads was looking at doing a session, so opted for that. Pace was about 2:02-2:04 for each rep, in and around my 3k pace. Hanging on for dear life a bit for the last couple, but got there. Jogged around for a bit at the end for a couple of miles waiting for the kids to finish up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Mon 3rd Dec: 8 miles in 54:48 (6:51)

Warmup mile, 6 tempo and cool down. Legs felt pretty fresh, conditions were lovely, cool and fresh. When the weather plays a little bit of ball, it’s a nice time of year for making some inroads. Faster miles in the middle were 6:41, 6:52, 6:48, 6:31, 6:16, 6:46.

Wednesday 5th: 6 miles in 37:29 (6:14) inc 10x600m

Lovely evening for running at the track, turned up with, as usual, no plan what I would do. One of the lads was looking at doing a session, so opted for that. Pace was about 2:02-2:04 for each rep, in and around my 3k pace. Hanging on for dear life a bit for the last couple, but got there. Jogged around for a bit at the end for a couple of miles waiting for the kids to finish up.

Good running you should be sub 18 in next 5k off that

youngrun wrote: »
    Good running you should be sub 18 in next 5k off that

Thanks youngrun. I’d be confident enough of going under 18 next time alright, I’m sure I won’t leave it another 4 or 5 years to do one! Sort of planning on running the 3,000 at Leinster indoors if the weekend is free. I’ve ran 10:0x a couple of times, a sub 18 5k or sub 10 3,000 should be a good indicator of where I’m at for the spring marathon.

Friday 7 Dec: 4.1 miles in 32:35

Slow, slow early morning run. As mentioned a couple of weeks back, I felt like too much of my running was hard pace, so took it right back for this.

Saturday and Sunday ridiculously busy with kids birthday parties, and driving halfway around the country both days so no running opportunities.

Monday 10th: 4.1 miles in 30:44 (7:30)

Early run, evening was busy so no longer run possible.

Tuesday: 4 miles in 29:30 (7:21)

Fitted in a short run dropping some things to friends down the road.

Wednesday 12: 6 miles in 40:13 (6:42)

At the track for club training, decided on tempo effort as opposed to session. Had good company for it , which was a nice way to ignore the strong wind and eventual rain. First mile easy, then 6:2x-6:3x range for the rest.

Sunday 16th: 17.5 miles in 2:12 (7:35)

First half decent long run in a couple of months, took it nice and steady around Termonfeckin and Clogherhead. Cool morning, and very enjoyable run.

Monday 17th: 4.1 miles in 33:55 (8:17)

Slow early morning, tired legs.

Wednesday 19th: 4.1 miles in 30:33 (7:27)
    Early dark morning run again,
    Thursday: 4.1 in 30:02
    Same as above

Saturday 22nd: 7.5 miles in 55:10 (7:21)
    Couple of weeks off school, plan on keeping myself consistent enough, and pushing on in January. Out early with not a sinner on the roads. Down around Sandpit for this.

Sunday 23rd: 4.1 miles in 36:10 ;8:49
    Hungover slow running. Not nice.

Monday 24tg: 6 miles in 45:50 (7:39)
    More like it this morning.

Happy Christmas to anyone who happens to be reading this, and thanks for your comments and contributions on what has been a fairly uninteresting and uninspiring log.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Great log Chief, pls keep it going. Happy Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Itziger

Happy Christmas Piper. Keep her lit into 2019 and hopefully our paths might cross again in a marathon or Half or whatever. You're in decent enough shape heading into the New Year I'd say; that 17.5 miler reads like a nice outing.

Wednesday 26th Dec: 7.5 miles in 56:55 (7:35)
    I was on dinner duties on Christmas Day and was happy to have a day off running. Nice run on Stephen Day to run off some of the excesses.

Thursday 27th: 6 miles in 41:50 (6:59)

We had dinner guests again Stephens day and late into the night, so had a fair clean up morning on 27th. 12:15 by the time I got out for my morning run, but felt good, so motored on at a decent enough clip.

Friday 28th: 4.1 miles in 30:30
    Nothing interesting.

Saturday and Sunday I didn’t run, as we’d a spare child to mind, and I’d a bit of a cold, so took a break.

Monday 31st: 10 miles in 69:30 (6:57)
    Up in a Monaghan for couple of days, took to one of my favorite routes, Scotstown-Knockatallon loop. First five miles in uphill, then fast second half. Always feels good to get out near the mountains and bog, and the route sets you up for a PMP type effort. First 4 miles in 7:10-30 range, then 6:53, 6:53, 6:38, 6:38, 6:39, 6:43.
    Suppose I’ll call that my first long PMP run preparing for Belfast.

2018 year review

Total mileage for the year was 1,080 miles.
    2018 was a year of getting back into reasonable shape, and really getting my love for running back. The year started fairly well, and I had vague aspirations about attempting sub3 in Manchester. Picked up a couple of little injuries, so that attempt never materialized. Steady enough marathon all the same in 3:16 I think.

I then spent a bit too long procrastinating on my choice of autumn marathon, and never really nailed down really serious training over the summer. However, there was a bit of steady progress in shorter races, 5 mile in 30:xx and a couple of decent cross country efforts. I again opted for the Monaghan marathon in autumn. It’s a slow, niche race, fast times difficult, so 3:09 in it was a good effort.

Finished off November and December getting some steady weeks in. Training with the club on a more consistent basis is starting to pay dividends, and running before school in the dark has been enjoyable.

Heading into 2019, I feel like I’m on an upward projectory and am putting in the quality, if perhaps not the quantity just yet, of varied training that worked well 4-5 years ago. I need to improve on mileage over the next year, 30-40 mpw should be the base line, not the maximum, as has been over the past couple of years.
    Goals for the year are as follows.
    Run sub3
    Run <1:25 in half
    Run100+ miles most or all months
    Run 1,500 minimum for the year
    Go sub30 for 5 miles
    Run sub10 for 3,000m

Happy new year, happy running.

Tuesday 1st Jan: 6 miles in 41:30 (6:55)
    Felt fresh enough on Tuesday, suggesting that the ‘long run’ on Monday took very little out of me. Easy first mile, then 6:45, 6:29, 6:14, 6:47. Good start to the year.

Wednesday 2nd: 4.1 miles in 30:05 (7:20)
    More sedate effort after two harder days

Friday 4th: 2 miles in 14:06 (7:03)
    We decided to check out the trails in Galway Wind Park as it’s been recently opened to the public. Ran the first mile handy with the kids, then hammered the 2nd mile in 5:55.

Sunday 6th: 7.5 miles in 52:15 (6:58)

Felt very fresh after a couple of down days in Connemara, so pushed it on on this one. Warmup mile then 6:27, 6:29, 6:44, 6:54, 6:58.
    Tough going on the last couple of fast ones there up the hill. Very happy with that.
    Decent enough Christmas of running. Going in the right direction.

• Advertisement

Monday 7th: 8 miles in 56 (7:00)

Kids back at gymnastics, so back to my loop in Drogheda. Legs felt a little heavy, but pushed on anyway. Middle miles were 6:50, 6:50, 6:50, 6:41, 6:31, 6:54.

Tuesday 7th: 4.1 miles in 31:16 (7:38)
    Slow, easy run in the evening after school. Bright until 5, a qware stretch in the evenings.

Wednesday 8th: 7 miles in 45:40 (6:31)

Back at training on the track. Lots of different groups doing various things, opted for 3x2k, 1xmile. Pace was a slight stretch for me with a couple of the lads in the group in better nick than me, but I worked fairly hard, and managed to keep the pace respectable. 2ks were 7:15 or so, and the mile 5:45. I think I’ll take a day off tomorrow, some hard enough running in the last few days, don’t want to over cook things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Sorry for poking my nose in here but you don't seem to have many easy runs? They all seem at a decent enough clip?

Sorry for poking my nose in here but you don't seem to have many easy runs? They all seem at a decent enough clip?

Yeah, I agree, need to ease back a little for a couple of the runs during the week. I’m happy enough to run hardish 3 days a week, especially with the absence of any proper long runs. I get into habits of running hard at times, and other times, going far too easy for months on end. A bit of balancing out would be better. Cheers for the comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Yeah, I agree, need to ease back a little for a couple of the runs during the week. I’m happy enough to run hardish 3 days a week, especially with the absence of any proper long runs. I get into habits of running hard at times, and other times, going far too easy for months on end. A bit of balancing out would be better. Cheers for the comment.

Ah I love to stick my nose in. Haha. Are you following any plan in particular? Sorry if you've said already, I follow too many logs on here.

Ah I love to stick my nose in. Haha. Are you following any plan in particular? Sorry if you've said already, I follow too many logs on here.

Feel welcome to stick your nose in, I appreciate any and all input. No, I don’t follow any particular plans, never really have done. When I was running well a few years back, I had a very definite idea of what worked for me, and generally stuck to what I planned to do. I’ve gotten much less structured over the last couple of years, lower mileage and therefore, happy enough to make hay and run hard more often. In the next couple of weeks, I’m planning on increasing mileage, so there’ll be more easy miles, a couple of proper long runs per month and more structure. With a busy enough family, I’ve found the flexible approach works best. Thanks for the input again, it gets me thinking a bit.

Friday 11th Jan: 4.1 miles in 32:45 (7:59(
    Slow and easy run before school.

Saturday 12th: 17.5 miles in 2:13 (7:36)
    On the roads well before sunrise, took the familiar route through Termonfeckin and Clogherhead. Got fairly breezy for a few miles on the way back, but seemed to ease off again for the last couple of miles. Legs were on the tired side, so I didn’t push pace at any stage. Great to have long run done by 9:30.

Monday 14th Jan: 8 miles in 55:14 (6:54)

Wanted to keep this at a steady effort, with the standard one mile warmup, 6 MP, 1 cool down. It’s a horrible route really, up and down either bank of the Boyne, but good workout. This was as comfortable as I felt in a long time at this pace on this route. Faster miles were 6:40, 6:50, 6:48, 6:38, 6:32, 6:47.

Tuesday 15th: 4.1 miles in 31:43 (7:44)
    Nice slow one in the evening. Couple of drivers annoying me, not dipping their lights. Last week, a van driver clipped me with his wing mirror. I’m enjoying running in the darkness most of the time, but it’s not without its challenges.

Wednesday 16th: 5.7 miles in 35:20
    I was feeling a bit tired and could have given tonight a skip at the track, but my eldest insisted we go training. Chose to run what I thought would be the more relaxed session. 12 minutes tempo, then 3x1k. I did the kms in 3:35 or so. I then jumped in with another group to do a 2k, think I did that in about 7:15/20. Good workout.

Mileage is in and around 40 miles per week at the moment, which is as high as I’ve done in a couple of years. Intensity still there on couple of the runs every week, but making a conscious effort to run the easier runs slightly easy. My body is reacting fairly ok to training, couple of little aches here and there, but manageable.

Friday 18th Jan: 4 miles in 30:40 (7:40)

Ran up and down the driveway and around the house 10 times. Needs must and all of that.

Sunday 20th: 15.6 miles in 1:51:30 (7:09)

Kids were running cross country up in Blackrock. Nice day for it. Both medaled in their races. Route home is the old N1. Very flat first 10 miles as far as Dunleer, then uphill until home. Really hadn’t intended on running this fast, but the conditions were perfect and road flat. Loads of times, I was consciously trying to slow so as not to be running much under 7:00 pace. Not a bad complaint.

Monday 21st Jan: 8 miles in 60:30 (7:34)
    After Sunday’s faster than expected long run, my legs were a little fatigued on Monday, so didn’t want to thrash them. Took it handy running around town. Weather was very poor, cold, wet and windy. First bad day in a long time though.

Wednesday 23rd: 6.1 miles in 40:38 (6:40)
    Took Tuesday off as the roads were icy and dangerous. Much milder this evening. Did a 3k-2k-1k session. Felt fine with pace. Times were 11:20, 7:30, 3:30.

Sat 26th: 4.67 miles in 37:40 (8:05)

We were away for a couple of days in the Derbyshire Dales/Peak District. This was a beautiful run on very hilly ground near Castleton and Hope. Unbelievable views, weather was fine.

Between travels, couple of the kids being sick and a bit chesty myself, this past week was a bit of a disaster. However legs were feeling a bit of strain and an enforced easy week probably was a good medicine.

Wednesday 30th Jan: 10k steady in 41:00 (6:36)
    -3 at the track tonight but dry, no wind and really felt warmer. Some of the lads were doing all sorts of sessions, but decided to just run my own thing, didn’t want to put any stress on the lungs. Picked it up a small bit towards the end. Legs felt very good and fresh after the easy week.

• Advertisement

Sat 2nd Feb:6 miles easy in 46:05
    Sat 9th: 7.5 miles in 59:05 (7:53)
    Sunday 10th: 10 miles in 75:45 (7:34)

Everyone in the house sick over the last week, I even missed a couple of days work, very unlike me. Don’t really know what was wrong, but even when I was ok again by Wednesday, had very little energy. Felt a bit sluggish yesterday, but more comfortable today. Couple of really bad weeks there, but always a possibility that could happen during winter training. Build back up the training and strength over the next while, and get going again

Really rubbish last few weeks running. Got a bad chest infection and struggled to kick it into touch. Still not 100%, so just treading water.

Monday 11th Feb: 8.75 miles in 61:50 (7:04)
    This run tipped me over the edge, should have rested and been patient.

Sat 23rd Feb: 4.1 miles in 33:10 (8:05)
    Ran easy, but still fairly tired after even that!

Mon 25tg Feb: 8 miles in 60:59 (7:36)
    Back on the loop around near Donore and Oldbridge, back to Drogheda along Boyne Ramparts. Felt ok.

Sun 2nd March: 4.1 miles in 31:10 (7:36)
    Nice and easy, felt slightly off during the week still, didn’t want to get sick again.

Mon 3rd March: 8.25 miles in 62:25 (7:34)
    Weather cooler again, and still being cautious.

I’m feeling fairly frustrated with how the last 6 weeks have gone, I felt like things were going well and weekly mileage was going in the right direction. Bohermeen half tomorrow was supposed to give me a good indication of where my fitness is, but I’ll just be nursing myself through it instead. Weather forecast is bad, which is not ideal either. Hope to get healthier and ease up the mileage and intensity over the next few weeks.

Really rubbish last few weeks running. Got a bad chest infection and struggled to kick it into touch. Still not 100%, so just treading water.

Monday 11th Feb: 8.75 miles in 61:50 (7:04)
    This run tipped me over the edge, should have rested and been patient.

Sat 23rd Feb: 4.1 miles in 33:10 (8:05)
    Ran easy, but still fairly tired after even that!

Mon 25tg Feb: 8 miles in 60:59 (7:36)
    Back on the loop around near Donore and Oldbridge, back to Drogheda along Boyne Ramparts. Felt ok.

Sun 2nd March: 4.1 miles in 31:10 (7:36)
    Nice and easy, felt slightly off during the week still, didn’t want to get sick again.

Mon 3rd March: 8.25 miles in 62:25 (7:34)
    Weather cooler again, and still being cautious.

I’m feeling fairly frustrated with how the last 6 weeks have gone, I felt like things were going well and weekly mileage was going in the right direction. Bohermeen half tomorrow was supposed to give me a good indication of where my fitness is, but I’ll just be nursing myself through it instead. Weather forecast is bad, which is not ideal either. Hope to get healthier and ease up the mileage and intensity over the next few weeks.

Patience is probably as difficult as it gets for us types. But, it'll come. We're only in March.......... Any mid term plans for an Autumn Half or marathon?

Itziger wrote: »
    Patience is probably as difficult as it gets for us types. But, it'll come. We're only in March.......... Any mid term plans for an Autumn Half or marathon?

I’ve an entry for the Dublin R n R half in August, I’ll likely get more continuity with training over the summer. I might try and get an entry for DCM when they go on sale again, if not, then Monaghan again. I’m not going to write off Belfast just yet, eight weeks is a long time to get straightened out hopefully.

Bohermeen Half marathon race report

Obviously, didn’t get into the sort of shape I’d hoped to for this, but I suppose freshness counts for something too. Snow was forecast, and just as I finished up a couple of miles warmup, hailstones and snow started coming down in strong winds. Plan, as such, was to run relatively easy early on, see what I felt like and see what 6:50 a mile felt like.

The direction we ran had changed since when I last did this race, but the advantage was a strong tail wind for the first mile. After passing the 1:50 and 1:40 groups in the first half mile, settled into a comfortable pace, clocking Mile 1 in 6:52. There were loads of people in front of me, so the wind wasn’t a major factor, lots of shelter in little groups. Kept all the first 5 miles similar pace, then with the wind on my back for 6 and 7 ran 6:40 for those two. I’d managed to catch up with the 1:30 pace group by the time we turned into the wind again, so kept in with couple of small groups. Wind was nasty about 10-11 miles, so dropped about 25-30 seconds there. Heading for the home stretch with half a mile to go, snow started falling again. Didn’t take the bait of racing anyone over the last 200, finished in 1:29:24.

Grabbed T-shirt, soup and a bun and headed for the car. That went about as well as it could have, all things considered. I’d hoped to be in about 1:25 shape to be in line for sub3 in Belfast. However, that was strong enough to offer a bit of encouragement that if I’ve a proper recovery from chest problems, I can hopefully make at least an attempt in May.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Bohermeen Half marathon race report

Obviously, didn’t get into the sort of shape I’d hoped to for this, but I suppose freshness counts for something too. Snow was forecast, and just as I finished up a couple of miles warmup, hailstones and snow started coming down in strong winds. Plan, as such, was to run relatively easy early on, see what I felt like and see what 6:50 a mile felt like.

The direction we ran had changed since when I last did this race, but the advantage was a strong tail wind for the first mile. After passing the 1:50 and 1:40 groups in the first half mile, settled into a comfortable pace, clocking Mile 1 in 6:52. There were loads of people in front of me, so the wind wasn’t a major factor, lots of shelter in little groups. Kept all the first 5 miles similar pace, then with the wind on my back for 6 and 7 ran 6:40 for those two. I’d managed to catch up with the 1:30 pace group by the time we turned into the wind again, so kept in with couple of small groups. Wind was nasty about 10-11 miles, so dropped about 25-30 seconds there. Heading for the home stretch with half a mile to go, snow started falling again. Didn’t take the bait of racing anyone over the last 200, finished in 1:29:24.

Grabbed T-shirt, soup and a bun and headed for the car. That went about as well as it could have, all things considered. I’d hoped to be in about 1:25 shape to be in line for sub3 in Belfast. However, that was strong enough to offer a bit of encouragement that if I’ve a proper recovery from chest problems, I can hopefully make at least an attempt in May.

Good running well done in tough weather,
    You are going well in training clearly. Key is not to overcook it in training, get a solid base 40-50 miles in a week . Sometimes doing hard sessions off lower bases can take it out of the body too much

Mon 11th March: 5.25 miles in 40:55 7:48)

Cut the Monday evening run in drogheda shorter , legs fairly dead after half marathon.

Sunday 17th: 5.2 miles in 34:41 (6:40)

Everyone in the house, bar myself, sick with colds and bugs, freaking out a little that I’d end up sick again, so didn’t run much. Left the car in Termonfeckin the previous day watching rugby disaster with a couple of friends, enjoyed a speedy few miles picking it up.

Thursday 21st -Friday 22nd: 4.1 miles both mornings before school. Again, reluctantly not running much, but staying on the healthy side. Only a couple of patients still sick, so feeling like I can up the training soon.

Sunday 24th: 16 miles in 2:04:10 (7:45)

Blustery, cold and sunny spells, but an enjoyable long run. The first 10 miles felt good, wind became very challenging for the last 5 miles, and I eased the effort completely for the last two miles. Good to be putting a few miles on the clock finally.

Monday 25th March: 8.5 miles in 62:25 (7:21)
    Set off fairly easy on this one, legs a bit heavy after long run. Ran a longer than normal loop in Oldbridge on the grass in the middle, then picked the pace up on the way back into Drogheda. Good use of the hour.

Wednesday 27th: 7.6 miles including Yasso 800 session (<3:00)
    As sub3 was the original target for Belfast, and still keeping it as a very slim possibility, I wanted to test myself with a session that is usually a good indicator for marathon target. This was my first time at the track in about two months I’d say, so stuck to my own (half-baked) plan as opposed to tagging onto any other group.
    The 800s are meant to be <3:00 with the same jogging recovery, but I find that too long so cut the recovery to 1:45 (300m)
    Splits were 2:57, 2:57, 2:56, 2:59, 2:57, 2:57, 2:58, 3:00, 3:00, 2:57

Working a bit for the last 2 or 3 reps, but that’s to be expected. Happy to have gotten through it, wasn’t sure I’d have the legs. Maybe just a short easy one tomorrow, and then a long run at the weekend. I’m desperately short on PMP long runs, not sure if I should just write off all hopes of sub3 and just get miles in the legs, or make a late run for the line with some faster long runs. April is potentially a very long month. We’ll see.

Monday 25th March: 8.5 miles in 62:25 (7:21)
    Set off fairly easy on this one, legs a bit heavy after long run. Ran a longer than normal loop in Oldbridge on the grass in the middle, then picked the pace up on the way back into Drogheda. Good use of the hour.

Wednesday 27th: 7.6 miles including Yasso 800 session (<3:00)
    As sub3 was the original target for Belfast, and still keeping it as a very slim possibility, I wanted to test myself with a session that is usually a good indicator for marathon target. This was my first time at the track in about two months I’d say, so stuck to my own (half-baked) plan as opposed to tagging onto any other group.
    The 800s are meant to be <3:00 with the same jogging recovery, but I find that too long so cut the recovery to 1:45 (300m)
    Splits were 2:57, 2:57, 2:56, 2:59, 2:57, 2:57, 2:58, 3:00, 3:00, 2:57

Working a bit for the last 2 or 3 reps, but that’s to be expected. Happy to have gotten through it, wasn’t sure I’d have the legs. Maybe just a short easy one tomorrow, and then a long run at the weekend. I’m desperately short on PMP long runs, not sure if I should just write off all hopes of sub3 and just get miles in the legs, or make a late run for the line with some faster long runs. April is potentially a very long month. We’ll see.

April this year has 43 days, so there is that. Ah, you'll know yourself whether to go for it or not. Try a Longie or two with some MP miles.........

• Advertisement

Itziger wrote: »
    April this year has 43 days, so there is that. Ah, you'll know yourself whether to go for it or not. Try a Longie or two with some MP miles.........

Nice one, yeah. More so thinking of the two and a half weeks off school, chances of doubles, etc. see what happens

Advertisement