Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Polar

• 07-01-2019 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭

polar-poster.jpg
    The world’s top assassin, Duncan Vizla, aka The Black Kaiser (Mads Mikkelsen), is settling into retirement when his former employer marks him as a liability to the firm. Against his will, he finds himself back in the game going head to head with an army of younger, faster, ruthless killers who will stop at nothing to have him silenced.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Isn't his former employer Carlsberg?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Man, John Wick really kicked off a slew of knock offs, riffing on that films world of eccentric, almost super-powered assassins. This does feel like it might be trying a little too hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Is this a netflix "I can't believe it's not John Wick" attempt?

Were they originally trying to get Scarlett Johansson on board?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭p to the e

He's the image of that bad guy in Metal Gear Solid

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Probably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

pixelburp wrote: »
    Man, John Wick really kicked off a slew of knock offs, riffing on that films world of eccentric, almost super-powered assassins. This does feel like it might be trying a little too hard.

If it's based on a graphic novel that was around a couple of years before John Wick was released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

His portrayal of Hannibal is pretty superb.

This is a kick-ass movie.

Beats John Wick, easily.

Has a decent story for a start!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

glasso wrote: »
    This is a kick-ass movie.

Beats John Wick, easily.

Has a decent story for a start!

Is it currently available?

gozunda wrote: »
    Is it currently available?

On Netflix next Friday Jan 25th

Mr Hastings must have sent a few advance copies out to people who weren't that trustworthy.

One of more entertaining movies that I've seen in the last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

Anyone seen this yet? I realise it's not officially on Netflix until 25th February but has anyone seen it yet ;) and is it any good?

Anyone seen this yet? I realise it's not officially on Netflix until 25th February but has anyone seen it yet ;) and is it any good?

I have seen it. It's a thoroughly entertaining movie, even though it has actually a fairly long runtime for this type of movie - 105 mins or so.

recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭cmac2009

glasso wrote: »
    I have seen it. It's a thoroughly entertaining movie, even though it has actually a fairly long runtime for this type of movie - 105 mins or so.

recommended

Some of the scenes with the assassin team were cringeworthy, but overall its entertaining.

cmac2009 wrote: »
    Some of the scenes with the assassin team were cringeworthy, but overall its entertaining.

true but I kind of didn't mind them as they went on in the movie - early on in it yes that group had some slapstick moments alright.

but I mean it's not about 100% credibility is it this type of movie?

some cans on that Cindy girl :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭corkie

Action, Crime classified but with

MV5BMTI4MDE4NzI5Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODE5MjEyMw@@._V1_UY317_CR12,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Matt Lucas in a fairly lead role.

Not sure if I can take the film seriously.

Watching at present. Half an hour into it.

Edit: -

Similarity between characters (or attempts) and other films?

Junkie Jane ~~~ Harley Quinn
    And another character reminds me of Lucy Liu in another role.

Comedy bits just get a whimper from me, just doesn't work as a comedy.

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭satguy

Just watched it,,, I really enjoyed it.

Funny in parts, plenty of action, Nice work from Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Was eagerly awaiting seeing this as I do like Mads Mikkelsen.

Very enjoyable and violent. A more bloody John Wick type of action movie.

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Was eagerly awaiting seeing this as I do like Mads Mikkelsen.

Very enjoyable and violent. A more bloody John Wick type of action movie.

Thought it was great. They should have left out that fat fcuk getting shot which was stupid and possibly the corridor scene but otherwise better than one-face Keanu wick doggy revenge for me.

corkie wrote: »

Not sure if I can take the film seriously.

Not sure it's supposed to be taken seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

I took this less as a "John Wick-ripoff", and more of a "John Wick comedy-parody", making fun of ridiculous over-the-top action films like the John Wick series. Polar is a fun movie, and the (very negative) reviews don't seem to highlight that it's suppose to be extremely silly and not taken seriously.

I mean, the scene with the kids and the knife? You don't get that in a "serious" action film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Yeah, I think people comparing with John Wick are doing so a bit too seriously. In fact the part when he
    accidentally shot his dog
    was a direct piss take of John Wick I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

If it's supposed to be a parody film as opposed to having some tongue in cheek genre references, it's neither especially satirical nor funny. Its core is an action movie, and the garish colours and over the top characters don't compensate for long lulls in the action and a wholly unconvincing third act.

By all means satirise John Wick, but if you make an inferior action movie while you're doing it you'll just come across as a prat.

Honestly, I'd compare this to 3 Days to Kill before John Wick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭budhabob

I finally got around to watching this. Thoroughly enjoyed it, good action, OTT elements, some camp acting, but thoroughly enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

I thought most of the scenes with Mads Mikkelsen were quite good but any scene with Matt Lucas was absolutely ridiculous. And the team of assassins were also sh1te.

Some good action in it but for me it was a partly decent movie and a panto combined.

Wouldn't watch it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Krotati59

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I watched this last year I think, after avoiding it due to bad reviews. Mads really is an excellent actor so I didn't really want to see him do a bad turn, but pandemic boredom got the better of me.

I found it mostly odd, as in his character was interesting enough but everything else was just poor. It did introduce me to Ruby O Fee however so for that I give it an ultimate pass.

Advertisement