Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tax when car turns 30

• 06-01-2019 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi all

Quick question, my car turns 30 on January 14th. My tax is out the end of January. I got my tax renewal on the post and I presumed it would be on the vintage tax?

Do I have to notify the tax off office or is it done automatically?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

You'll probably have to call into the motor tax office. I had that issue with one of mine. I had to tax it new (brown log book) and asked him to change it

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭eusap

Also worth noting the Tax is based on the year of manufacture on the Log Book and not the Registration Year. Often you can gain a couple of years if the car was a UK import

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

eusap wrote: »
    Also worth noting the Tax is based on the year of manufacture on the Log Book and not the Registration Year. Often you can gain a couple of years if the car was a UK import

Year of manufacture on the log book is 1989,date of registration is 14th January 1989.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Morini

The change to tax class does not happen automatically. I had a similar situation with a Motorbike. This bike had been originally bought in Italy, and imported to the UK. I bought it in the UK, then imported to Ireland. Several years later it turned 30. None of this caused any problems.

This is what the tax office said at the time:

"A vehicle must be 30 years of age or older to qualify for vintage tax.

You will need to submit the attached RF111 form to your local motor tax office to change its tax class to vintage, this will need to be accompanied by the vehicles VRC. You will also need to tax the vehicle for the first time in this tax class with your local motor tax office by submitting the attached RF100A form. Please also find attached a list of motor tax offices."

After doing this, I received an updated Registration Cert, stating my new tax class, and I renewed the tax online.

Morini wrote: »

After doing this, I received an updated Registration Cert, stating my new tax class, and I renewed the tax online.

i just did a change of ownership and got my 74 bmw 2002 onto the vintage tax the other day.Tax was out 18 years :D
    I have the brown book but wandering if they send out a new style cert too?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

No. I've never had one.

i just did a change of ownership and got my 74 bmw 2002 onto the vintage tax the other day.Tax was out 18 years :D

Nope, you get the brown one back. Mine had something like 11 previous owners and I was the second owner on the brown log book. When I got it back, it said only 1 previous owner!

antodeco wrote: »
    Nope, you get the brown one back. Mine had something like 11 previous owners and I was the second owner on the brown log book. When I got it back, it said only 1 previous owner!

Did they give you a new brown one?
    I brought mine to the office,it's too fragile to post.
    I'm the 8th owner and now its full.

Did they give you a new brown one?
    I brought mine to the office,it's too fragile to post.
    I'm the 8th owner and now its full.

I actually can't remember. One of mine was in bits and I got back in the post as well. I'll have to check the other, as it was a while ago!

Advertisement