Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Locals Galway City 2019

• 05-01-2019 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

General thread for the locals 2019. Post candidates and news stories and that ****e in one place.

Who/which party are you voting for? Who's running? Does it matter? It's all the play for

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SparchandCans

As of Jan 5th there is:

East ward:

Terry O'Fatherty|Ind (Cllr)
    Declan McDonnell|Ind (Cllr)
    Mike Crowe|FF (Cllr)
    Mairead Farrell|SF (Cllr)
    Noel Larkin|Ind (Cllr)
    John Walsh|FG (Cllr)
    Alan Cheevers|FF
    Owen Hanley|Soc Dems
    Conor Burke|Solidarty

Central ward:

Mike Cubbard|Ind (Cllr)
    Ollie Crowe|FF (Cllr)
    Frank Fahy|FG (Cllr)
    Padraig Connelly|FG (Cllr)
    Mark Lohan|SF (Co-option)
    Joe Loughnane|PBP
    Sharon Nolan|Soc Dems
    Martina O'Connor|Greens

West Ward:

Donal Lyons|Ind (Cllr)
    Colette Connolly|Ind (Co-option)
    Peter Keane|FF (Clrr)
    Pearce Flannery|FG (Cllr)
    Neil McNelis|Lab (Cllr)
    Cathal O Conchuir|SF (Cllr)
    Pauline O'Reilly|Greens
    John Crowley|Soc Dems

Hi brand new account

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Does it matter - yes.

I'll be voting for whoever will be allocating budget and resources away from car traffic prioritization and towards cycling/public transport/walking.

Probably the biggest issue I see wrong with Galway is the car traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭flazio

When is it happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

In my world a local is a pub close to my house!

Obviously to a political animal it's a different type of beast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I was expecting a thread on the local weirdos....some might say that's exactly what it is

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

As of Jan 5th there is:

East ward:

Terry O'Fatherty|Ind (Cllr)
    Declan McDonnell|Ind (Cllr)
    Mike Crowe|FF (Cllr)
    Mairead Farrell|SF (Cllr)
    Noel Larkin|Ind (Cllr)
    John Walsh|FG (Cllr)
    Alan Cheevers|FF
    Owen Hanley|Soc Dems
    Conor Burke|Solidarty

Central ward:

Mike Cubbard|Ind (Cllr)
    Ollie Crowe|FF (Cllr)
    Frank Fahy|FG (Cllr)
    Padraig Connelly|FG (Cllr)
    Mark Lohan|SF (Co-option)
    Joe Loughnane|PBP
    Sharon Nolan|Soc Dems
    Martina O'Connor|Greens

West Ward:

Donal Lyons|Ind (Cllr)
    Colette Connolly|Ind (Co-option)
    Peter Keane|FF (Clrr)
    Pearce Flannery|FG (Cllr)
    Neil McNelis|Lab (Cllr)
    Cathal O Conchuir|SF (Cllr)
    Pauline O'Reilly|Greens
    John Crowley|Soc Dems

Is Colette Connolly the only non elected cllr? She was put there via a loop hole when her sister became a TD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭spurshero

No mark Lohan as well

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Is Colette Connolly the only non elected cllr? She was put there via a loop hole when her sister became a TD

It is not a legal loophole, "Co opting" replacements is the perscrible legal method of filling casual vacencies for Local Government in Ireland. Something simular is used for the European Parliment, where each elected MEP has a list of designated replacements.

Some might argue it is fairer than By-Elections for smaller parties or Independants, a party that got the 4th or 5th seat in a constituency won't win a by-election, and would lose the seat to the large parties.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Is that the full list, are all declared now ?
    Who are the Solidarity Party and PBP party

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭sgthighway

OP why don’t you get the ball rolling on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

youngrun wrote: »
    Is that the full list, are all declared now ?
    Who are the Solidarity Party and PBP party

Trotskyists. I don't see either winning but it will be interesting to see how they fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Trotskyists. I don't see either winning but it will be interesting to see how they fare.

Don't think they'll do well, Loughnane is their most recognised name[crackpot that he is], but he's in the ward where nearly everyone is an established name[apart form Mark Lohan], so his chances are fairly slim[which is a good thing].

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Red_Wake wrote: »
    Don't think they'll do well, Loughnane is their most recognised name[crackpot that he is], but he's in the ward where nearly everyone is an established name[apart form Mark Lohan], so his chances are fairly slim[which is a good thing].

How many seats in each ward does anyone know? In that ward Central Conneely just about hung on last time may struggle this time out
    Lot of well established names there otherwise will be hard to shift unless the new names get the younger vote out I reckon.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Red_Wake wrote: »

Any relation of Bill Loughnane?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

nuac wrote: »

Bill who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

youngrun wrote: »
    How many seats in each ward does anyone know? In that ward Central Conneely just about hung on last time may struggle this time out
    Lot of well established names there otherwise will be hard to shift unless the new names get the younger vote out I reckon.

Yes that was my thinking too, I suspect he may hang up the hat at the next elections and go out on a controlled positive.

He barely made it last time, just about pipped it.

RE: Collete Connelly, yes it's not a 'loophole' but ethically I was very surprised at Catherine Connolly. The people had their say, she was rejected soundly at the polls, only to be re-instated via co-opting.

Catherine Connolly is one of very few extremely honest politicians who go about their work without seeking publicity or glory. Don't get me wrong - plenty of other good politicians out there - but she genuinely doesn't seek out attention or coverage of the tireless work she pursues....at all.

She does great work at PAC level and raises very important issues in the Dáil too, most of which gets no coverage because she doesn't chase it.

But I was quite disappointed to see her co-opt Collette to City Hall.

She's a good TD though, and actually fulfills the role of what a TD is supposed to do a lot better than most of the other TDs.

Anyway, out of the list can't see many, if any, non-councillors getting seats unless a few step down.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

nuac wrote: »
    No, unless they're distantly related.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭topcat77

Please not "Padraig Connelly" !!!!

He's not in my ward but please Central voters don't do it!

https://connachttribune.ie/cllr-padraig-conneely-is-donald-trump-of-galway-300/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

topcat77 wrote: »
    Please not "Padraig Connelly" !!!!

He's not in my ward but please Central voters don't do it!

https://connachttribune.ie/cllr-padraig-conneely-is-donald-trump-of-galway-300/

How is he still being rolled out for election? Have FG nobody younger? Must have dirt on the right people :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Argue the politics, not the person.

biko wrote: »

Kinda hard to do when the person is a politician and are asking to be elected based on what they have done, said, promise to do.

How do we talk about the election if we can't talk about the candidates and their performance/antics etc?

Honestly curious and your post was not bolded so I'm assuming its not mod direction

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Bizarre instruction. I assume the below is the sort of thing we should be doing so.

I'm voting FG candidate number two, but Fianna Fail candidate number 1 sure is a nice guy, then there's Sinn Fein number 1 who shouldn't be discounted, who knows maybe Independent will make a run for it!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

The Candid it and the person are intertwined, one can’t exist without the other. It would be wrong talk about the politics without talking about the person

That was in response to "have they noone younger", "dirt on right people"

Ok, back on topic please

• Registered Users Posts: 23,315 ✭✭✭✭zell12

The key is turnout. Tell all the young folk to go out and vote, otherwise, tell em to shut up about those issues
    Housing, Traffic, Planning, public office accountability, etc, all affect them for the next five years

That was in response to "have they noone younger", "dirt on right people"

Ok, back on topic please

My point was that the average age of FG candidates must be north of 50 at this stage. They keep trotting out the same old people and seem to be making no effort to bring in new blood. Hildegarde being the only exception I can think of.

The dirt comment was a tongue-in-cheek poke at the stereotype of politicians being a dirty game of cloak and daggers. I wasn't trying to imply that he actually has a big folder of blackmail material.

No worries, just remember that politicians as well as voters can read comments on this public forum.

No worries, just remember that politicians as well as voters can read comments on this public forum.

Except for those that sill use the fax machine as their primary method of communicating :pac: :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭flazio

As can solicitors.

Advertisement