Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mountaintop Adventure & Cabin Building

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Watch Ryder

For the side walls I needed something with raw weight and toughness to give much needed mass. I found it in a tree I'd felled a few weeks earlier. It wasn't quite straight enough for long posts but for a short wall log it was perfect.
    CfkPyFK.jpg

Folks, it's time to meet the first of the Balbek Logs! I call them this because they dwarf the smaller logs and also pay homage to the mighty Baalbek stones of ancient times...
    sxX1zq5.jpg

I mounted, drilled and bolted this in myself which was quite a feat (foolhardy with the drop-off directly behind me but I managed it).

For the second Balbek Log MMM helped me as it was too high to even dare suspended from one arm alone!
    LQFPtJ2.jpg

MLGT43q.jpg

Getting the roof on was not going to be easy, not only was the roof pitch in excess of 45 degrees (about 45.5 or 12.2?) but I'd never laid a roof before.

Still there's only one way to find out and that's to get stuck in and at it!
    pPwFEI6.jpg

Plywood wall trimmed.
    jXzopHv.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭lostboy75

whats the purpose of the Balbek Log? or it just what you had left?

It's pretty bad ass and designed to deter a bear from pulling it apart! :)

Time for the plywood roof to get installed!

As much as I like being ultra-self reliant, 4x8 plywood at 1/2 inch is too awkward and once again help was essential in lifting and holding while I lined it up for drilling...
    g9IGnqB.jpg

jB8yH5G.jpg

Tarpaper is going up! I've not installed this the correct way though, as I ought to have to running along the roof and not from top to bottom. Hopefully they'll be no leakage issues...
    2ULzEPr.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭lostboy75

It's pretty bad ass and designed to deter a bear from pulling it apart! :)

That I was thinking of, but the fact it was only two of them left me wondering if there was another reason for the larger size.
    cheers

lostboy75 wrote: »
    That I was thinking of, but the fact it was only two of them left me wondering if there was another reason for the larger size.
    cheers

Just what happened to be available mate.

Getting the asphalt shingles on.

A friendly neighbor let me have a bundle of these for free, but strangely would not let me have the paired second bundle, little did I know this would later bite me on the behind, but more on that later.
    Starter Course

MNqLRxV.jpg

Subsequent courses.

xWePKZB.jpg

I ran out of shingle and had a devil of a time getting more of the same type and shading.

I got the last bundle at a nearby store but even that wasn't enough! I need a third bundle!
    VqSGX4O.jpg

To those that are interested on the Balbek logs, this is where I had to source them from... :)
    CfkPyFK.jpg

This is what I made three of the logs into.
    LxcNFMi.jpg

I suspend it from a chainblock and cut it from top to bottom with a chainsaw!
    It was much easier than leaning it against a tree. I'll be using a saw-horse in future times though...

I managed to install it myself! It was as heavy as the first ones but I semi-cheated by passing it in from the interior of the structure and the rafters helped keep it from toppling down to the ground. I added the bracers shortly afterwards. When MMM came by later to see how I was getting on he initially thought I used a winch. :cool:

The other Balbek Log I cut into two smaller pieces and here they are on the alcove side.
    0dQ6kTs.jpg

• Advertisement

This is what the rain looks like when it drains off the roof, it's a foot clear of the posts too keeping it far enough to keep subsistence down to a minimum. :)

I'll add some stones to this at a later stage so it doesn't erode the ground away.
    33H4yF5.jpg

My neighbor kindly let me have an old door from the materials stockpile. He told its tale and made mention that it's at least 100 years old! From a relation in homestead lands it now has new purpose at the Ryder's Redoubt.
    Thanks for that one Mike! :)

With his help this and other materials soon arrived and it was time to get the door screwed into place...

Getting a door on is no mean feat but with shims, boxes and other things to level it up I managed to get it square and installed.
    z84Vh09.jpg

nXxnUB9.jpg

Ready and I've got a hasp lock installed too, I'd like to see a bear figure its way into that one.
    qtF2tdA.jpg

We had a man with his two sons come down yesterday to get some firewood and whilst getting it Mike related how one of the sons took down a grouse with nothing less than a small rock!

From about 50 yards distance the lad hurled the stone like a baseball pitcher and hit the bird square on the head! It flopped and wobbled about before Mike insisted they finish it off and so they did (with a bigger rock) before promptly stuffing the thing away for some grouse dinner. :)

This is a STEEL beam construction video of Mike's cabin.

I can't think of any cabin videos with steel beams reinforcing the roof and here's the steel being installed.

This is the last day at the Mountain Hold and the weather began to close in like a mystical mountain fog...
    IKYmXCY.jpg

The Cabin Shed / Storehouse is complete and the great rain and snow looms in the coming days. I only just reached the construction-finished point with days to spare before my return to prison island uk and here's the final pictures of it.

The gaps and crannies have been sealed, with the exception of the rafter-gaps which I did not have time to block off with noggins etc.

So while I've hopefully got the deer mice and voles sealed off from the interior squirrels and maybe a pika will take up (temporary) residence, plus perhaps a wasps nest over the winter.

The morning of departure was a busy one, not only was there a lot to do but the temperature was freezing.

Just look at the roof!
    S87465Z.jpg

Icy coverings were everywhere but the sun shone bright and soon melted it all away...

Mike helped brace up the cabin, hopefully it won't end up tumbling down under the weight of the snow but as a safeguard several logs like this will help prevent it.
    gqKOm9f.jpg

It's my first ever building I've built myself (with lifting assistance and some advice from MMM of course).

I can only hope it will stand the test of winter! I real test at 9,500 feet in the Rocky Mountains, time will tell...
    sw3W6u1.jpg

Ok, this will probably be the last post for now, thanks for all your views, support and encouragement.
    I must be away to other realms and adventures alas but I will leave you with this video showing the making of small cabin-shed. :)

As always, may Eire be with you. :)

This is the tree I felled from which I sourced the 'Balbek' logs. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Iyaibeji

Any more updates for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

This was his last upload 2 months ago

He's gone bitcoin mining at a snails pace instead

• Advertisement
Advertisement