Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2019 Golf Goals

• 03-01-2019 1:03pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So i've decided that this is going to be a good year for my golf. Was thinking about what i wanted to happen, and thought it would be interesting to see other peoples goals.
    1. Cut my handicap by at least 3 points. This will be tough, as i stayed at 17 last year, but i'm confident i'll be able to do after sorting out some issues in my game, and once i get back to playing regularly.
    2. Win my first competition. Was beaten on the back 9 at the start of last year, before my game went to ****, so i'd like to win something this year.
    3. Fix my short game, as anything withing 50 yards is a hit or miss currently. Need to be putting myself in a position to hole my putts.
    4. Play some new courses, as i haven't really experienced many of the courses around Ireland.
    5. Have a good first drive in our yearly trip to Enniscrone. 3 times last year i ****ed it up, and can't have that happen again :pac:

Mainly, just get more games played.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kennethrhcp

Mine are going to look mental... 1 & 2/3 shouldn't fit together :)

1: get rid of the shanks from 30-80yards... just started in June/July & everytime I think they're gone... BANG
    2: get down to 5... it's crazy ambitious as I only started back golfing after 17years in summer of 2016 (12 hcp). went from 11 to 7 in 2018
    3: play Bruen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

No to ambitious this year only goal is to play more !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Good job Kiith for starting this annual thread.

This year I'm having no goals just focusing on the habits.

1. Keep a good tempo in my swing.
    2. Practice short game from 100 metres in every week including putting practice.
    3. Avoid my annual swing collapse.
    4. Play regularly with loads of new courses.
    5. Enjoy every minute of every game.

I believe if I keep these habits then the prizes and handicap drops will look after themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Glebee

1. Finally get my handicap.
    2. Get my handicap sorted.
    3. Say later in the year that I will get my handicap sorted by end of Summer.
    4. Say in Autumn that my handicap will be sorted by Christmas.
    5. Get out and play at least once a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭davegilly

1. Play more.
    2. Score 36 points or more. Highest so far has been 32.
    3. Get cut. Never been good enough to get cut before so a cut of any description will do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

1. Keep a good tempo in my swing.
    5. Enjoy every minute of every game.

That'll do me. Do those two and the rest will look after itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,712 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

1) Play good golf - might be unrealistic to say get back to Cat 1 - but will be a consequence of good golf.
    2) Get the kids playing a bit more - and down to the club.
    3) Always want a round in the low 70s at some point in the season - but not easy to do in competition.
    4) Play a few more top courses - to my shame have not hit Donegal yet.

Haven't practiced in months - so early days to get back playing decent stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

1. Get down to 4, currently 5
    2. Shoot level par or better
    3. Play Junior Cup
    4. Enter a few Scratch Cups to play different courses
    5. Fix my chipping, undoubtedly my biggest weakness

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

1. Get my range swing working on the course. I frequently revert to my "old" swing under pressure, or fight between the two. I have to solve this to accomplish any other goals, so this one is by far my most important
    2. Place in the top 3 at least a couple of times across the 2 societies I play in
    3. Play more new courses, I would say at least 10 but as many as 20. Have already done 1 and have a 2nd this weekend!
    4. Get my handicap down to 18 (from off 22 currently)
    5. Figure out how to practice putting more, it's difficult to practice this when I am not a member anywhere currently

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭kev_s88

very up and down year for me last year. modest goals for this year

1) get myself down into the teens handicap wise. Currently off 24 and just too inconsistent. Nothing a few lessons probably wont solve but just need to find the time. Driving is the big issue for me. Developed a wicked slice during the year and just haven't been able to work it out.
    2) represent my club in competition (bit of work to do, but have a knack for matchplay)

simple goals really :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

5. Figure out how to practice putting more, it's difficult to practice this when I am not a member anywhere currently

Halpenny Golf Range beside the airport has a good short game area including a putting green. For 9 euros you can get 120 balls and hit them and use chipping and putting green.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Play junior cup
    Play jimmy Bruen

With whatever time I have left play the number of comps I need to play to keep an active handicap

Hopefully make a boards outing ;)

4. Get my handicap down to 18 (from off 22 currently)
    How have you a handicap without being a member of a club?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭yuridwyer

1. Reduce average three putts from 3 to 2 per round
    2. Break 80
    3. Play well on a links course
    4. Remember to remind myself of how I should swing when standing over the ball rather than just getting up and hitting it

davegilly wrote: »
    How have you a handicap without being a member of a club?

I was a member, I just let it lapse. I am on the fence on joining a club again, its tough because I do like to play lots of different courses but not having a GUI or a go to for comps is paining me also.

I also have a handicap from the 2 Societies I play in (based off my lapsed GUI handicap), and they do adjust it a bit here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭joxer1988

1. Get down to single figures - currently 10.4
    2. Break 80 with reasonable regularity
    3. Get my first eagle
    4. Minimize bogeys from 100y and in (wedge game needs improvement)

Halpenny Golf Range beside the airport has a good short game area including a putting green. For 9 euros you can get 120 balls and hit them and use chipping and putting green.

Great suggestion, I forgot about the putting green there!

I usually go to the Kinsealy Grange Driving Range and they only have a carpet to practice on, it just not the same. I think i might alternate between them a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ozzy78

1. Get down as close to 10 as possible (currently 13, but dropped down from 19 at start of 2018)
    2. Reduce 3 putts ( going to try Brandt Snedekers 'pop' putting style, so may have to go through some pain before I see the end of 3 putts!)
    3. Try not to think ahead when I start a round really well!
    4. As previously mentioned, enjoy every round I play.
    5. Stop spending hours on donedeal looking for golfing equipment I already have :)

I was a member, I just let it lapse. I am on the fence on joining a club again, its tough because I do like to play lots of different courses but not having a GUI or a go to for comps is paining me also.

I also have a handicap from the 2 Societies I play in (based off my lapsed GUI handicap), and they do adjust it a bit here and there.
    Ah ok. Why not join somewhere like Slievanamon as a distance member for €150 and get your gui. Play all the open comps you like then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Macker1

I just want to start enjoying golf again. Its a while since that happened mostly down to the frustration of poor playing. Very stagnant last year with no improvement whatsoever.

Due to increasing demands on my time from work and life I couldn't play or practice as much and this led to my poor play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Had a pretty decent year, went from 17.2 down to 15.8, and drifted to a final handicap for 2018 of 16.2

I'd like to get to 14 this year.

New driver really helped during 2nd half of the year, but this year, really need to focus on irons, and short approaches.

Won a turkey shoot in our winter league, and one category win also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

1. Go back to work on swing and improve ball striking in general. Still too handsy & armsy and hardly ever finish in a finish, not enough use of lower body. While it has come on a lot over the last 3 years there is still loads of room for improvement.
    2. Improve short game. Has gone from total disaster this time last year to 'half decent'. Needs to go to 'good'.
    3. Break 80
    4. Get into or at least nearer to single figures (plateauing at 12 for the last 1.5 years)

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

1. Get h/c down to 6, got to 7.2 but finished 8 flat
    2.Win a club major ( club m/play) would be great
    3 Longshot,but make Junior cup team.Get no. 1 sorted and 3 might happen
    4.Improve Driving and Putting and all might happen
    5. Meet all the chaps I've been reading about at my 1st Boards outing

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Break80

As my name suggests.
    If I do I have dibs on the username BREAK 78.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Really want to improve my short game in a big way, from 100yds in I'm struggling at the moment. If I can do that I want to reduce my playing handicap to nine if possible (from 11) and I want to be a starter on our bruen team instead of sub like last two years....
    I think thats achievable with practice and patience 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

I have a few :)
    • Get back to hitting the ball as I did during the summer when I scored 90 twice.
    • Finally break 90 and hopefully more than once.
    • Get out to my first Boards Society event.
    • Get my 20 handicap down to the teens
    • Win a competition at some point. 2nd place and 3rd place this year were only a shot or two away from victory.
    • Play a round without a triple bogey

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭benny79

Rikand wrote: »
    Play junior cup
    Play jimmy Bruen

With whatever time I have left play the number of comps I need to play to keep an active handicap

Hopefully make a boards outing ;)

Hope to see you at a boards outing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭benny79

Mine are:

1) Win a comp at my new club
    2) Try win a medal (this has being a big goal of mine for years)
    3) Win a boards outing and make the team on my own merits ;)
    4) keep compressing the ball and taking divots
    5) keep working on chipping have improved a good bit
    6) HC @ 17.6 im well able for 14 but just want it down to be honest
    7) break 80 (being very close a few times)

I have a big golfing year ahead of me and I am going to enjoy every minute of it good or bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

benny79 wrote: »
    Mine are:

1) Win a comp at my new club
    2) Try win a medal (this has being a big goal of mine for years)
    3) Win a boards outing and make the team on my own merits ;)
    4) keep compressing the ball and taking divots
    5) keep working on chipping have improved a good bit
    6) HC @ 17.6 im well able for 14 but just want it down to be honest
    7) break 80 (being very close a few times)

I have a big golfing year ahead of me and I am going to enjoy every minute of it good or bad.

I'd say you're a lock on for 2nd part of no 3 😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

Play more , improve chipping and get a hole in one haven't had one since Liverpool last won the league omens looking good.

Advertisement