Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coachella 2019 Official Thread

• 25-07-2018 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

Flights, accommodation and tickets booked for this. Anyone been before that has advice etc..Please feel free to post any rumours, with links, for the 2019 lineup too...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

sawdoctors & Margo I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

s8n wrote: »

Oh my god that's so funny

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Lineup has been declining in quality the last few years and based on the reading I’ve done over the last few years the big names in the lineup was all it had going for it. Justin Timberlake for headliner maybe, Tame Impala will be touring their new album by then so they’ll definitely be there somewhere I’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

Finally, an official thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Did it a few years back but stayed in a nice hotel.
    Managed to avoid the worst of the midday sun. What is surprising to us was how early the sun goes down. The sunset gigs were really great with the natural light show going on.
    It's a well organised event and not much walking required to get from stage to stage.
    My one bug bear was the drinking pens but at least it meant I didn't get as hammered as I usually get during a festival.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭tmh106

s8n wrote: »

Why do people wast their, and more importantly others, time by posting such trite answers. If it had the merit of being funny, witty even, I could understand it, but it doesn't. It is anti-funny. Sorry to pick on you s8n, boards is full of this kind of reply so you are not alone, your reply just happens to be the one that caused me to post about it.

tmh106 wrote: »
    Why do people wast their, and more importantly others, time by posting such trite answers. If it had the merit of being funny, witty even, I could understand it, but it doesn't. It is anti-funny. Sorry to pick on you s8n, boards is full of this kind of reply so you are not alone, your reply just happens to be the one that caused me to post about it.

I couldn't agree more. I hate that this is the first comment that people say when open the thread and many others too. So much to be said for the system where the most thanked posts are the first posts people see.

Finally, an official thread...

Mods please remove the official in the title of my thread

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭BurtMacklin

CWF wrote: »
    Flights, accommodation and tickets booked for this. Anyone been before that has advice etc..Please feel free to post any rumours, with links, for the 2019 lineup too...

Where did you book accommodation? We've car camped in the past.
    The shuttle can run a little late so factor in that if you want to see a must see act that day. No point missing it due to shuttle delays.

We always sneak in spirits no bother and buy mixers inside to drink walking around. There is a little pat down check but not invasive at all. You go through metal detectors at the entrance and then a minor basic pat down or checking of bags. You can also bring drink out of the drinking pens if you are clever. Guys at the exits will try take them off you or ask you to finish them but concealing them under your t shirt usually works. The drinking areas are decent to watch the main stage from anyway. You have bars, food, shade and toilet close to hand. We used it as a base and handy to find other members of your group.

Research the line up in Jan when it comes out. Great to find new acts as the line up is hefty. The clashes will break your heart though so be prepared for that. Main stage to Sahara tent is a decent walk so be prepared to walk in the heat between the stages.

The dust can be bad as the wind blows sand in from the desert. Wear a bandanna over your mouth at times to save the throat.

Where did you book accommodation? We've car camped in the past.
    The shuttle can run a little late so factor in that if you want to see a must see act that day. No point missing it due to shuttle delays.

We always sneak in spirits no bother and buy mixers inside to drink walking around. There is a little pat down check but not invasive at all. You go through metal detectors at the entrance and then a minor basic pat down or checking of bags. You can also bring drink out of the drinking pens if you are clever. Guys at the exits will try take them off you or ask you to finish them but concealing them under your t shirt usually works. The drinking areas are decent to watch the main stage from anyway. You have bars, food, shade and toilet close to hand. We used it as a base and handy to find other members of your group.

Research the line up in Jan when it comes out. Great to find new acts as the line up is hefty. The clashes will break your heart though so be prepared for that. Main stage to Sahara tent is a decent walk so be prepared to walk in the heat between the stages.

The dust can be bad as the wind blows sand in from the desert. Wear a bandanna over your mouth at times to save the throat.

Some hotel nearby, nothing fancy. That sounds brilliant mate. Gonna buy a camelback-pack too I heard they're very handy to stay hydrated. Is it breezy yeah? So not too humid and sticky

• Advertisement

CWF wrote: »
    Some hotel nearby, nothing fancy. That sounds brilliant mate. Gonna buy a camelback-pack too I heard they're very handy to stay hydrated. Is it breezy yeah? So not too humid and sticky

It's not breezy. It's hot during the day. Very hot. I just made the reference to the wind bringing the sand in from the desert but don't let that fool you, there will be dead heat.
    You could bring a camel back yep but I've never queued for the water stations. I'd rather pay $2 and buy a cold water for a stall than queue in the heat for free water. Totally up to yourself.

Also make sure you are close to the shuttle route. Your hotel might be close to the actual stop and you could walk to the pick up point but you also might need an uber.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

tmh106 wrote: »

Jealous you didn’t post before me ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

I would love to go but couldn't justify paying $429 for a weekend pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

lineup:

Dv9asadUcAAxhIP.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Friday has a good headliner with support from Janelle Monae and Anderson Paak.

Nice lineup for Saturday and great undercard for that day.

Everything else lacking.

Funny Kanye was meant to be for Saturday too. Would have been immense.

Sunday looks horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

yeah, Tame Impala definitely seem like the ones who would have been bumped up.

https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/01/kanye-pulls-out-coachella-2019/
    Coachella is scrambling for a last-minute headliner to replace Kanye West on its 2019 lineup.

Kanye was in line to headline the Indio, CA festival, with a lineup announcement anticipated on Wednesday. However, negotiations between the rapper and festival organizers fell apart over a disagreement relating to the stage setup. TMZ was the first to report on Kanye’s cancelation, which has been independently confirmed by Consequence of Sound.

According to TMZ, Kanye did not want to perform on the festival’s traditional 40×60 foot stage because it was “artistically limiting.” A source close to Kanye told TMZ, “These 40×60 stages are so archaic. It’s the same type of stage on which Shakespeare’s works were performed hundreds of years ago.”

When Coachella organizers Goldenvoice said they were unwilling to accommodate Kanye’s request, the two sides mutually agreed to part ways.

On Kanye’s most recent “Saint Pablo Tour”, he performed on a floating platform that moved freely above the audience. Last month, while making their live debut as Kids See Ghosts at Camp Flog Gnaw, Kanye and Kid Cudi performed inside a rectangular glass box that floated above the stage. Interestingly enough, Camp Flog Gnaw was produced by Goldenvoice.

TMZ reports that Kanye is “done with performing at festivals.” As for Coachella, they’re left searching for their second replacement headliner (as previously reported, Justin Timberlake previously scrapped plans to appear in 2019). One act who remains confirmed for the festival? Donald Glover, a.k.a. Childish Gambino. Update – Jan. 3rd: The full 2019 lineup has been unveiled.

More as we have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Funny Kanye was meant to be for Saturday too. Would have been immense.

The worst live act I've ever seen. Genuinely embarrassing.

The Nal wrote: »
    The worst live act I've ever seen. Genuinely embarrassing.

Glastonbury?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Glastonbury?

Yup. I had to leave along with the other 25,000 people. Too much cringe.

The Nal wrote: »
    Yup. I had to leave along with the other 25,000 people. Too much cringe.

Ok well I can't fault you.

Although I've head good things of his solo shows, Glasto and other stage meltdowns being the exception.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,459 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

The quality of festival lineups is massively down this summer, I would even wonder will Glastonbury have a sub par lineup this year. Suppose there is nothing you can do if the acts aren't touring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭MattD

Ok well I can't fault you.

Although I've head good things of his solo shows, Glasto and other stage meltdowns being the exception.

I'll jump in here and say he was not good at Marlay in 2014. He and Pharrell amounted to the most disappointed I've ever been at a gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The quality of festival lineups is massively down this summer, I would even wonder will Glastonbury have a sub par lineup this year. Suppose there is nothing you can do if the acts aren't touring.

Even the rumoured glasto headliners are dissapointing imo. Some festivals are still coming out with decent lineups though, BilbaoBBK and Sziget etc.

MattD wrote: »
    I'll jump in here and say he was not good at Marlay in 2014. He and Pharrell amounted to the most disappointed I've ever been at a gig.

Why? Seems like a good setlist.

What did you not like about it?

MadYaker wrote: »
    Even the rumoured glasto headliners are dissapointing imo. Some festivals are still coming out with decent lineups though, BilbaoBBK and Sziget etc.

2020 is going to be an exciting year for lineups. (i hope)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Having seen the lineup, I'm glad I picked last year to go. Terrible, terrible lineup this year.

Granted last year's wasn't amazing, but still stronger than this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,350 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Nice one, Aphex Twin's first 2019 announcement too and he is at a much higher billing than the 2008 Coachella lineup. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Poor lineup IMO and hard to fathom why anyone would pay such high prices when you can see much better acts for half the price.

Yeah line up isn't great on first look. We've gone last few years and turn it into a holiday. Flight are cheap because it's April and I don't use that many holiday days as its Easter. I got the ticket on the monthly payment plan so it's paid off since December. I think we're going again this year.

I am looking forward to Childish Gambino, Tame Impala, Gesaffelstein, Weezer, Rufus Du Sol, Anderson Paak, Kid Cudi, Pusha T, Aphex Twin, Bob Moses, Khalid, Unknown Moral Orchestra, Jon Hopkins.

We usually dig into the line up and find acts we hadn't previously heard off. I've since found The Frights, The Garden, Ty Segal, Parcels. I hadn't heard of them previously.

If anyone has any recommendations, I'll take them. A few of my friends are really happy with the line up as it's Electronic & House heavy.

• Advertisement

Yeah line up isn't great on first look. We've gone last few years and turn it into a holiday. Flight are cheap because it's April and I don't use that many holiday days as its Easter. I got the ticket on the monthly payment plan so it's paid off since December. I think we're going again this year.

I am looking forward to Childish Gambino, Tame Impala, Gesaffelstein, Weezer, Rufus Du Sol, Anderson Paak, Kid Cudi, Pusha T, Aphex Twin, Bob Moses, Khalid, Unknown Moral Orchestra, Jon Hopkins.

We usually dig into the line up and find acts we hadn't previously heard off. I've since found The Frights, The Garden, Ty Segal, Parcels. I hadn't heard of them previously.

If anyone has any recommendations, I'll take them. A few of my friends are really happy with the line up as it's Electronic & House heavy.

Janelle Monae, Yves Tumor, Solange, Christine & Queens, Shame (great presence), Superorganism (fun live), Serpentwithfeet, have heard good things about Boy Pablo.

Advertisement