Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Finally 30 years old!

• 02-01-2019 12:04pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭

Have a Range Rover which turned 30 on 1st January. Currently declared off road and just logged on to motortax.ie to tax it, but it is still showing regular rates.

What do I need to do to get it recognised as classic tax?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Blue850

schmittel wrote: »
    Have a Range Rover which turned 30 on 1st January. Currently declared off road and just logged on to motortax.ie to tax it, but it is still showing regular rates.

I had to go to my local motor tax office when my car turned 30 to get it changed to vintage. That was with the brown logbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Blue850 wrote: »
    I had to go to my local motor tax office when my car turned 30 to get it changed to vintage. That was with the brown logbook.

What he say...!!.........Happy birthday btw...:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭w124man

Have a Range Rover which turned 30 on 1st January.

Did it turn 30 years on the year or the month/year? Who registers cars on January 1st? Whats the registration date on the logbook?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭hometruths

Thanks for the replies.
    w124man wrote: »
    Did it turn 30 years on the year or the month/year? Who registers cars on January 1st? Whats the registration date on the logbook?

Oddly it is 1st January on logbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

ha, stick it on a ZV and watch the comments about ringing.... (don't do this, better to keep it's original reg imo)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

My mk2 gti 16v turns 30 next week also. And is just out of tax!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

It's like finishing a 30 year jail sentence for your cars lads, congratulations!
    I've 8 years left on mine...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Ah, I remember October 2013 like it was yesterday. Good times. :o

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Congrats! I've one that turns 43 this year, another 39 and another 21! Just like a normal family!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭hometruths

NCT booked for Thursday, might put the champagne on ice until then!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

NCT booked for Thursday, might put the champagne on ice until then!
    That might be wise. Those lads might be grumpier even than usual in January. :mad:

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

I am about to buy a Sept 1989 car in the UK. Does it qualify for vintage tax here straight away or do I need to wait until September?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

You have to wait until September. If you wait to vrt it until september aswell it will only be 200euro

• Registered Users Posts: 64,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel

They'll be looking for proof when you bought the car / brought it into the country, spyderski. If the car was not yet 30 years old, you're looking at a minimum of EUR720 VRT, possibly a lot more (depending on the value of the car). And you'll also pay the full rate of motor tax until the day the car is 30 years old.

If you're keen on that particular car you're looking at and you want to avoid paying all that in VRT / motor tax, you could have a family member in the UK buy and store the car and you buy from them in bring it into Ireland when it is 30 years old proper?

Advertisement